Lotogram Simulated 170-degree fisheye images on iPhone 4/4S

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
      I came across an app that claims to create 170-degree fisheye images on my iPhone for a nominal app charge so I asked how much the lens adapter would cost, including postage to Japan, and was surprised to get a reply stating that the fisheye images were created in software and did not need an adaptor. I can understand how a fisheye EFFECT or a fisheye LOOK can be created in software, but not how a field of view could be expanded to include areas of the subject missing from the original image. In fact I considered the claim bogus and highly misleading.

      When I made this point I got a brief note saying I must not understand the principles on which such software works and referring me to the good (but not quite complete) Wiki article on fisheye lenses. Naturally, there was nothing in the article to substantiate their claim.

      Am I missing something?

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2012
        Am 25.07.2012 02:22, schrieb Roger D Williams:
        > Am I missing something?

        Nothing to say without a link to the relevant pages. But anyway, don't
        they offer to test the app?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2012
          Am 26.07.2012 21:15, schrieb Erik Krause:
          > Nothing to say without a link to the relevant pages. But anyway, don't
          > they offer to test the app?

          I found a Lotogram Flickr stream. By no means these images cover 170°.
          Especially on image IMG_100042 the background is far too large and the
          angle under wich the side walls appear is far too small. At 170° far
          more of the railing in the foreground would be covered.

          This app is bogus (as was to be expected).

        • Roger D Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2012
            Yes indeed. When they thought I could be silenced by a technical article on fisheye lenses and projections I got quick responses, but since I repeated well-reasoned criticisms of their misleading publicity I am being ignored. Charitably, I suppose one might assume that the person who wrote the copy only knew what fisheye images looked like, and picked up the "170 degrees" from a description of such a lens and thought it applied to ALL fisheyes. When I was making my living writing ad copy for high-end audio equipment I came across stranger errors! I got my biggest client when their US agency looked at my sample copy and said "At last! Someone who understands audio... Don't let this man get away!"

            Roger W

            Sent from my iPad