Focal plane shear distortion (Was Re: Respect for the subtly shades of grey)

  • Alan Ball
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 23, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

      > [Shutter travel] was horizontal, from left-to-right, in their film
      cameras but without
      > being able to take the back off of my DSLR I don't know which way it
      > travels now. It may very well be the same as in their film cameras
      (why
      > reinvent the wheel?).

      In the older SLR film cameras, the shutter curtains traveled
      across the long dimension. Newer Canon cameras, including the
      digital ones, have a sort of Venetian blind arrangement that
      travels from top to bottom. I saw a thread on dpreview that
      had a full description with pictures of how a 20D or 30D shutter
      worked, but I can't find it now. The image is inverted at the
      imager plane, so the direction of travel is from bottom to top
      of the image (assuming landscape orientation).

      Alan Ball
      scoundrel1728