Re: Back up your backups?

  • michael
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 13, 2012
      Another variation on how to do this:

      I am not a professional photographer, I am a dentist, so my volume of data is smaller...but digital xrays, and diagnostic photos do mount up. BUT, my crucial data is alpha-numeric, and so, small. If I lost the images, it would be a pain, but not the end of the world.

      I run a virtualized environment in vmware, with four virtual computers, a (virtual) server, and three workstations. The workstations are accessed in the treatment rooms using Windows Remote Desktop utility.

      One of the nice things about vmware is how easy it is to backup.

      At the end of each day, I back up the alphanumeric data files from my dental management program (photographers have account data too, right?) into a zip file... a unique one for each day, and they are archived. I stash one copy in the office, on a different physical drive, and another copy goes into my dropbox. Dropbox is also synching to my home, so I have onsite, offsite, and cloud backup of these crucial business continuity records.

      After this is done, I shut down each of the virtual machines, and copy the virtual machine files to another internal drive in the physical server. I have, on the secondary internal hard drive, folders named Monday - Friday, and so, I always have a week's worth of backups of the vms.

      I ALSO, at the same time, copy these vm files to a removable drive (naked esata). I have two of these, and they alternate being on site. That is, overnight, say, on Monday, the drive that gets Mon and Weds is attached to the computer, and copying is started when I leave for the night. On Tuesday morning, I remove it, restart the vms, and put in the drive that will get Tuesday's backup, which had been off-site with me... the two removables rotate being on and off site.

      This means my offsite backup is always a day behind, but, the copy process takes too long for me to wait for it (hours).

      I favor complete copies, and so it takes a long time. Other strategies, involving incrementals could probably be worked out...I'm not certain whether or not you can do an incremental backup of a vm (as opposed to its contents, which you certainly could).

      The beauty of the vms lies in what one needs to back up for. While a drive failure is a huge problem, and the building burning down is even worse, the most common failure is software related, or operator related. We have saved hours of time, when, I have inadvertently damaged something, software-wise. It is much faster, and guaranteed to work, to just revert to last night's vm, rather than trying to puzzle out what went wrong, and how to fix it. And, typically, this problem will occur on a workstation, not on the virtual server, so there is no data loss to contend with.

      To answer the OP's original question, though, I would not back up the backups, per se. The chance of both the source, and backup drive, failing simultaneously is tiny. I WOULD, though, use a strategy of multiple backups, as explained above.

      One other point... the removable drives are big enough to hold several days, and I don't delete things until I need the space. Sometimes going back to yesterday's backup might not be good enough...you might want to have older data available...

      Mike Hodish
      Norwalk CT USA
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2 8:12 PM
        The DVD backup isn't totally obsolete.
        For finished panoramas, I archive my RAW images and the panorama template to archival grade DVDs.
        This is in case a major technical change occurs, e.g. Adobe Camera Raw ability to correct lens distortions and chromatic aberration.

        What I do:
        batch-convert RAW images to DNG, embedding any XMP data inside the DNG file.
        Copy the folders, DNG files, and any templates, or stitching projects to an external drive (not my usual backup drive). Don't copy working files or finished output files (jpegs, PSD etc)!
        Burn the archive files to Taiyo Uden DVD's.
        Store the DVDs offsite.
        Delete the files I have archived from my PC AND from my regular backup system (NAS). This includes both raw files e.g. CR2 AND DNG files.
        This leaves me with more free space, and a reliable long-term version of the raw data and the time-consuming stitching project files.
        It means I don't have to maintain multiple backups of large files that never change. My day-to-day backup system can be focussed on new files and changing files.
      • John
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2 8:34 PM

          I have a question for all my collogues,  I have been a very deep user of the program Stitcher. The program sold to Autodesk years ago, and because of upgrades in the Apple operating system, it has failed on all installations on my MAC, but I still have a working copy on my PC.  There are two reasons I still use Stitcher as my main software for panorama production.  One, is that it includes enblend, which makes my images as sharp as 8X10, and second because you can go to the center of the image projection and from a center point lift or lower the center of the image.  I think since Stitcher was a bundled package with Monfroto’s QTVR head that since the native projection was based on a being able to manipulate a spherical geometry, that you are able to shift the counterpoint of an image.  By this, I mean that you can stand at the corner of a building and rotate the vantage point to where it looks like you were standing predominately in front of the right side of the building.  With the press of the “alt” key and the left clicking, you can change the vantage point so that the point of focus travels to a point where you are on the right side of the building, as if sliding within a sphere.  You can also raiser the center point to correct of distortion.  Is there another software that lets you shift the image center based on a spherical center point projection?  NEED TO KNOW.

          John

          John McCarthy Photography

          801-699-6260

          31 M Street

          Salt Lake City, UT 84103

          www.johnmccarthyphoto.com

          Commercial | Resort | Food | Architectural

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2 8:48 PM
            Ptgui.

            It's what virtually everyone uses.

            Sacha Griffin
            Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

            Salt Lake City, UT 84103

            www.johnmccarthyphoto.com

            Commercial | Resort | Food | Architectural

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2 9:01 PM
              On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

              Ptgui.

              It's what virtually everyone uses.

              Sacha Griffin

              And  AUTOPANO GIGA from Kolor

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              http://ayrton360.com
              twitter.com/ayrton360

              "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

[...]

              Salt Lake City, UT 84103

              Message 6 of 23 , May 3 1:24 PM
                Am 03.05.2013 05:34, schrieb John:
                > I have a question for all my collogues, I have been a very deep user of the
                > program Stitcher.

                And why do you hijack a thread about backup? You probably get more
                attention and more answers if you start a new thread instead of simply
                pressing "Reply" in a totally unrelated discussion.