Shutter releases for extended bracketing

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 8, 2012
      Hello,

      Luca Vascon urged me (on the WWP list) to start a wiki page on remote
      triggers and extended bracketing possibilities. Well, here it is:

      http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control

      Most of it's content is based on google searches, so please don't blame
      me for false claims or missing information. If you have experience with
      a certain device, program or app please correct or add information. The
      page isn't much more than a draft.

      What surprised me most was that I can't remember reading a comment here
      about the two Android apps that claim to use USB host mode on a
      smartphone or tablet to directly control a camera - not the usual bulb
      mode bracketing or intermediate PC which the I-devices use.

      And it was new to me also that finally there is an arduino project to
      control the camera via USB host.

      According to the gphoto page at http://gphoto.org/proj/ DigiKam uses
      libgphoto "for importing photos and for capture". However, I didn't find
      how to do it in the windows version (which is not the most resent one).

      Please contribute

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 8, 2012

        > Hello,
        >
        > Luca Vascon urged me (on the WWP list) to start a wiki page on remote
        > triggers and extended bracketing possibilities. Well, here it is:
        >
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
        >
        > Most of it's content is based on google searches, so please don't blame
        > me for false claims or missing information. If you have experience with
        > a certain device, program or app please correct or add information. The
        > page isn't much more than a draft.
        >
        > What surprised me most was that I can't remember reading a comment here
        > about the two Android apps that claim to use USB host mode on a
        > smartphone or tablet to directly control a camera - not the usual bulb
        > mode bracketing or intermediate PC which the I-devices use.
        >
        > And it was new to me also that finally there is an arduino project to
        > control the camera via USB host.
        >
        > According to the gphoto page at http://gphoto.org/proj/ DigiKam uses
        > libgphoto "for importing photos and for capture". However, I didn't find
        > how to do it in the windows version (which is not the most resent one).
        >
        > Please contribute
        >
        > --
        > Erik Krause
        > http://www.erik-krause.de

        The PClix intervalometer
        http://www.pclix.com/support/pclix-xt-support
        has the feature of a programmable shutter push length (to 99/100th sec) and programmable bulb length which can be combined with interval timing -- which makes it useful for continuous sequences of autobracketed bursts.

        PeterM
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 9, 2012
          Am 09.07.2012 02:04, schrieb panovrx:
          > The PClix intervalometer
          > http://www.pclix.com/support/pclix-xt-support
          > has the feature of a programmable shutter push length (to 99/100th sec) and programmable bulb length which can be combined with interval timing -- which makes it useful for continuous sequences of autobracketed bursts.

          Added, thanks!

        • french_don
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
            Erik, you missed one, certainly the most powerful one out there. TL-Plus is an Android app that works with the AutoMate pan-tilt head. It was designed as a timelapse sequence generator with built-in HDR bracketing, but it can be used in single node mode as well.

            Unlike the other phone apps, you do not need to leave your phone with your camera after you make your setup choices. The app generates a program that it tramsmits to the AutoMate head via Bluetooth, after which the phone is no longer required. You can save your settings as a named file that you can reload at a later date but the app remembers the most recent settings so you don't have to even load a file if you want to do the same thing you did the previous time.

            The HDR feature includes the following features:
            Choice of bulb mode or not
            Up to 9 exposures when in Bulb mode
            Mirror lockup support
            User-defined pause between exposures
            User-defined number of stops between exposures, including 0, 1/3, 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2
            User-defined pattern of exposures (longest first, shortest first, alternating, etc.)

            The timelapse generator includes all the following features:
            User-defined interval between nodes (all the exposures within a bracket sequence defines one node) in in milliseconds, seconds, minutes, hours, days
            HDR bracketing
            Option to make a panning timelapse (The AutoMate is a pan-tilt head, after all)
            User-defined wake-up pulse to wake the camera from sleep mode
            User-defined initial delay, in days, hours, minutes, and seconds
            User-defined total duration in days, hours, minutes, and seconds - up to years
            User-defined daily sleep period, for when you are doing a multi-day timelapse.
            Ramping of both exposures and distance-of-travel (independently) between nodes with a choice of 10 different ramp curves

            With TL-Plus, you can use your phone as a simple remote control or you can write your own programs with a user-friendly programming interface. You can even combine programs, such as when you have a ramp-up phase, followed but a steady phase, followed by a ramp-down phase.

            The app will record your GPS coordinates and orientation and can send you an email with all that information plus a recap of all your settings.

            Plus, since you need the AutoMate to use this app, you also have a compact, programmable, low-weight pan-tilt head that is ideal for making landscape-type gigapixel panoramas.

            You can download the app here http://www.thegadgetworks.com/TL-PlusDownload.html.

            -- Don

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
              Am 10.07.2012 17:56, schrieb french_don:
              > Erik, you missed one, certainly the most powerful one out there.

              Many thanks for the note. Would be even better if it used USB host mode
              to control the camera...

            • dorindxn
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
                Worth to mention that you can extend the bracketing possibilities using a firmware add-on
                http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified#Downloads

                cheers,
                Dorin

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
                  Am 10.07.2012 20:45, schrieb dorindxn:
                  > Worth to mention that you can extend the bracketing possibilities using a firmware add-on
                  > http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified#Downloads

                  This is already listed :-)

                • french_don
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
                    But then you would have to leave your phone attached to the camera for the duration of the shoot, which for certain kinds of timelapses could be months. Also, by using Bluetooth your camera can be up to 100 meters from the phone.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
                      Am 10.07.2012 22:02, schrieb french_don:
                      > But then you would have to leave your phone attached to the camera
                      > for the duration of the shoot, which for certain kinds of timelapses
                      > could be months

                      Ok. But then it would be beneficial to have an USB host in the AutoMate.
                      Arduino can do that...

                    • panovrx
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 10, 2012
                        Recent versions of Magic Lantern support exposure bracketing (2 shots) for video as well as stills. How it works is this: every alternate frame is at a different ISO eg. 100 iso 800 iso 100 iso ..... etc. The resultant video flickers light/dark rapidly. With video editing software you extract the light/dark videos separately, compensate for the time offset somehow, and merge them with HDR software. Search on vimeo for HDR magic lantern
                        http://vimeo.com/search?q=hdr+magic+lantern for examples.
                        Works better on models that support 60p. Works on the 5DMkII version of Magic Lantern II. This could be useful for video stereo panorama capture I think -- except for video sync issues with action scenes.

                        PeterM

                        > Am 10.07.2012 20:45, schrieb dorindxn:
                        > > Worth to mention that you can extend the bracketing possibilities using a firmware add-on
                        > > http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified#Downloads
                        >
                        > This is already listed :-)
                        >
                        > --
                        > Erik Krause
                        > http://www.erik-krause.de

                      • french_don
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 11, 2012
                          Oh right, I think that is what you meant initially and I misunderstood. Well, if the camera control was via USB, would it be able to work with every DSLR, as AutoMate can now (well, almost all)? Also, it would double the cost of the AutoMate (now only $299 by the way) and it would be impossible to make a board containing all the extra electronics and have it still fit inside the case.

                          Thanks for adding TL-Plus to the list. By the way, why isn't AutoMate listed on the Pano head page? I can't believe that I never checked this before now.

                          -- Don

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 11, 2012
                            Am 11.07.2012 19:30, schrieb french_don:
                            > By the way, why isn't AutoMate listed on the Pano head page?

                            Most probably because you didn't add it ;-) It's a wiki...

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 11, 2012
                              Am 11.07.2012 01:48, schrieb panovrx:
                              > Recent versions of Magic Lantern support exposure bracketing (2 shots) for video as well as stills.

                              ...but for stills with more shots of course. Yes, I desperately wait for
                              the unified ML 2.3 as well...

                            • panovrx
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 11, 2012
                                You can make a donation and get access to the beta version for 5DMkIIs. (I had to remind the developer but then I got the link). It supports almost all the features of the regular Magic Lantern software as far as I can see
                                There is a link under the "Bonus" section halfway down the page
                                http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Release_2011Dec22#BONUS

                                PeterM

                                > Am 11.07.2012 01:48, schrieb panovrx:
                                > > Recent versions of Magic Lantern support exposure bracketing (2 shots) for video as well as stills.
                                >
                                > ...but for stills with more shots of course. Yes, I desperately wait for
                                > the unified ML 2.3 as well...
                                >
                                > --
                                > Erik Krause
                                > http://www.erik-krause.de

                              • french_don
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 12, 2012
                                  Ah! So all the manufacturers wrote their own wiki entries? I hadn't realized that. I don't think I got the memo. Ok, I will add AutoMate to the page.

                                  -- Don

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 12, 2012
                                    Am 12.07.2012 19:48, schrieb french_don:
                                    > So all the manufacturers wrote their own wiki entries?

                                    Not necessarily, but they are allowed to do so if they give relevant
                                    information and don't only advertise. Since you are a member of this
                                    community you should know the wiki...

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 12, 2012
                                      Am 12.07.2012 07:31, schrieb panovrx:
                                      > You can make a donation and get access to the beta version for 5DMkIIs.

                                      I know, but I prefer to wait for the official release. It might be
                                      causeless but I'm a bit anxious of breaking my camera and I can't afford
                                      a new one currently...

                                    • luca vascon
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 18, 2012
                                        :-)
                                        WELL done Erik.

                                        2012/7/8 Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
[...]

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        --
                                        Luca Vascon.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 18, 2012
                                          Am 18.07.2012 15:00, schrieb luca vascon:
                                          > :-)
                                          > WELL done Erik.

                                          Thanks! And where is your promised contribution? ;-)

                                        • luca vascon
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 19, 2012
                                            As soon as I'm connected to internet and out of office...
                                            hard times here.
                                            I still have problems with the wiki, how do I make other chapters?

                                            I see you kinda put everything on it. I'd add only few things at the moment.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 19, 2012
                                              Ok, begun, added android usb-host, clarified "computer bridged" apps, some software here and there (Helicon would make more money if they sell the camera control separately!)
                                              I'm planning to add a section with external controllers made for followfocusing. They may have not bracketing capabilities but they do allow complete control over camera.

                                              If possible would be nice to specify WHICH camera brends any soft or device is controlling. I did wherever possible.
                                              THANK YOU Erik, and THANK YOU everyone.

                                              2012/7/19 luca vascon <luca.vascon@...>
                                              As soon as I'm connected to internet and out of office...
                                              hard times here.
                                              I still have problems with the wiki, how do I make other chapters?

                                              I see you kinda put everything on it. I'd add only few things at the moment.

                                              2012/7/18 Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
                                              Am 18.07.2012 15:00, schrieb luca vascon:
                                              > :-)
                                              > WELL done Erik.

                                              Thanks! And where is your promised contribution? ;-)

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                              --
                                              Luca Vascon.

                                              Luca Vascon.

                                            • Peter Reimer
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 19, 2012
                                                Hi *,

                                                there is an interesting project called "Astro" on kickstarter with
                                                motion control, panning and support for time lapse photography.
                                                As far as i understand it, it can not yet control bracketing, but it
                                                looks very promising:
                                                http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1530895202/astro-time-lapse-motion-control

                                                Regards,
                                                Peter

                                                Am 08.07.2012 22:24, schrieb Erik Krause:
                                                > Hello,
                                                >
                                                > Luca Vascon urged me (on the WWP list) to start a wiki page on remote
                                                > triggers and extended bracketing possibilities. Well, here it is:
                                                >
                                                > http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                                                >
                                                > Most of it's content is based on google searches, so please don't blame
                                                > me for false claims or missing information. If you have experience with
                                                > a certain device, program or app please correct or add information. The
                                                > page isn't much more than a draft.
                                                >
                                                > What surprised me most was that I can't remember reading a comment here
                                                > about the two Android apps that claim to use USB host mode on a
                                                > smartphone or tablet to directly control a camera - not the usual bulb
                                                > mode bracketing or intermediate PC which the I-devices use.
                                                >
                                                > And it was new to me also that finally there is an arduino project to
                                                > control the camera via USB host.
                                                >
                                                > According to the gphoto page at http://gphoto.org/proj/ DigiKam uses
                                                > libgphoto "for importing photos and for capture". However, I didn't find
                                                > how to do it in the windows version (which is not the most resent one).
                                                >
                                                > Please contribute

                                              • Michael Bajko BFA - The Fine Art of Photo
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 20, 2012
                                                  Another project from Kickstarter,
                                                  http://syrp.co.nz/products/
                                                  called 'Genie'. Have left a ? as to whether it can bracket, not listed
                                                  in specs.
                                                  Michael

                                                  --
                                                  Michael Bajko BFA