Re: [PanoToolsNG] Certified to use turrets

  • Robert Lesac
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2012
      I read the title as "Certified to use Tourette's".
      Turrets are fine too.

      I'll go make some coffee.

      --

      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2012
        There is something wrong in all this.
        I do not why I feel so upset.
        :-P

        2012/7/5 panovrx <panovrx@...>
        What will the Trusted Photographer do that I can't do myself?
        Trusted Photographers are trained to take high-quality photos of building interiors, allowing for common challenges such as low lighting and tight spaces. The photographers are also certified to take pictures using fisheye lenses and rotating camera turrets (mounted on tripods) that, once uploaded to Google's processing pipelines by photographers, will be transformed into 360-degree panoramic imagery and a walk-through of your business. Once photographers upload the pictures from their cameras, Google's processing pipelines use sophisticated image stitching, HDR, image matching and other technologies to produce these panoramic walk-throughs.

        from the Google faq for would be "Trusted Photographers"
        http://maps.google.com.au/help/maps/businessphotos/faq.html#q3

        So Google stitches them with their "processing pipelines" ... mmm

        PeterM

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Luca Vascon.

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2012
          What is wrong with this is that many less knowledgeable clients will be convinced that only a "Trusted Photographer" should be contracted for panoramic photography work. There will be some clients who will chose a less capable photographer over a very good photographer because the very good photographer hasn't gone through the process of becoming "Trusted"

          This same thing happened with programming. When Microsoft started "Certifying" programmers with a series of classes, less knowledgeable clients started specifying the need for Microsoft Certified Developers. It sucks but that's the way it will work out in the long run.

          If you are a panographer who earns a living with your panography, cover your but and get "Trusted".

          luca vascon wrote:
          > There is something wrong in all this.
          > I do not why I feel so upset.
          > :-P
          >
          > 2012/7/5 panovrx <panovrx@...>
          >
          >> What will the Trusted Photographer do that I can't do myself?
          >> Trusted Photographers are trained to take high-quality photos of building
          >> interiors, allowing for common challenges such as low lighting and tight
          >> spaces. The photographers are also certified to take pictures using fisheye
          >> lenses and rotating camera turrets (mounted on tripods) that, once uploaded
          >> to Google's processing pipelines by photographers, will be transformed into
          >> 360-degree panoramic imagery and a walk-through of your business. Once
          >> photographers upload the pictures from their cameras, Google's processing
          >> pipelines use sophisticated image stitching, HDR, image matching and other
          >> technologies to produce these panoramic walk-throughs.
          >>
          >> from the Google faq for would be "Trusted Photographers"
          >> http://maps.google.com.au/help/maps/businessphotos/faq.html#q3
          >>
          >> So Google stitches them with their "processing pipelines" ... mmm
          >>
          >> PeterM
          >>

          >> ------------------------------------
          >>
          >> --

        • Matthew Rogers
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2012
            The other issue is the google certification seems to make these photographers think they instantly know everything about panoramic photography and if there's a single issue it must be the equipment.

            As they're not actually involved hands on in the production if a pano doesn't stitch they have no idea why. They're also not allowed to share any images.

            on the few occasions where I have been sent image sets I was able to stitch them perfectly using PTGui in 30 seconds. So much for the magic pipelines :)

            Matt

[...]

          • Paul Fretheim
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2012
              It's the same old crap. People in a given profession create barriers so
              newcomers are kept out thereby keeping competition to the established in
              check. I am a teacher. I experimented with natural language processing
              at MIT in the 1980s. I studied the structure of language using texts by
              Chomsky and Vigotsky.

              I have 15 years teaching experience in Seattle in a multi-cultural
              environment and have had any number of students in my classes who spoke
              only their native tongue, be it Cambodian or Rumanian or Laotian. There
              are very few Laotian - English cognates.

              But now that I live in California I can't even get an interview for a
              teaching job despite an impressive resume which includes things like
              "Teacher of the Year" of Seattle Public Schools (4000+ teachers) because
              I haven't passed the CTEL test (California Teachers of English
              Learners). CTEL only costs $300 for the training and $300 for the test.
              And the only place you can get any of that is from a former teacher who
              left teaching to set up the CLAD program which has now evolved into the
              CTEL program. I checked out the online study sample tests and it
              involves concepts which are directly drawn from Vygotsky and Chomsky. I
              list my MIT training on all my letters of introduction, but that is not
              acceptable, I have to have CTEL from Gladys Perkins, former elementary
              school teacher.

              She has a nice business going - $600 times the number of teachers in
              Californa.

              "Trusted Panoman" TP (toilet paper) is the same quality of BS.
            • andrew
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2012
                Google has a product called Street View. These tours that 'Trusted Photographers' produce, link directly to and from Street View.'Trusted Photographers' are taught how to do this. It is not as simple as some think.

                Google's (you're) problem here is that they are huge.

                If it was a site with 200 hits a day and wanted to train and use certain photographers would it be a problem?

                A.

                > What will the Trusted Photographer do that I can't do myself?
                > Trusted Photographers are trained to take high-quality photos of building interiors, allowing for common challenges such as low lighting and tight spaces. The photographers are also certified to take pictures using fisheye lenses and rotating camera turrets (mounted on tripods) that, once uploaded to Google's processing pipelines by photographers, will be transformed into 360-degree panoramic imagery and a walk-through of your business. Once photographers upload the pictures from their cameras, Google's processing pipelines use sophisticated image stitching, HDR, image matching and other technologies to produce these panoramic walk-throughs.
                >
                > from the Google faq for would be "Trusted Photographers"
                > http://maps.google.com.au/help/maps/businessphotos/faq.html#q3
                >
                > So Google stitches them with their "processing pipelines" ... mmm
                >
                > PeterM

              • Yazan Sboul
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012

                  I don't think its a problem at all.  they're basically giving access to the streetview, they just need to check the photographer are qualified. Most of their potential photographer don't even know about this list - its only natural that they'd want to insure they know how to use a panhead and shoot hdr.

                  I think its great - and not here soon enough.

                  To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                  From: apg@...
                  Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 17:49:39 +0000
                  Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Certified to use turrets