Re: [PanoToolsNG] 35mm or 24-70mm at 35mm?

  • luca vascon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
      I agree with Bostjan.
      I do not know about 35mm 1.4 by Nikon, never liked that focal lenght. I do not like zooms, and do not know about 35-70 either.
      So I should stay quiet, but I'm too passionate about lenses not to say my 2cents!

      Lens-wise the 1.4s are made to perform better possible at full aperture, if you intend to use it at f5.6... stay cheaper and go for f2 or f2.8 primes lighter and higher resolution.
      My overall Nikon favorites I'd use for a hi-res pano are 50mm f2.0 Ai, 55micro f3.5, 60micro 2.8 AFD, 105micro AF. The sharpest 35mm I have ever had? It is a war between Leitz Summicron R and 35mm Distagon 2.8 Contax.
      I'd suggest not to rely on 28mm 2.8 AF or afD, it is nothing special, even if colors and feeling are good, flare is not.

      So, A Zeiss ZF 35mm f2 would be my choice.
      If you have good use of a 1.4 35mm with AF, OUT of the simple pano reasonm then I'd suggest you to go for it, and enjoy it for normal photography "and" for 360.
      You could also modify a 35 f2 summicron, 2nd hand, to go on a D800.
      I would not bet about flare resistance, but you will have a great definition...

      2012/7/4 Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>

      With 24-70 at 35 you will loose your resolution comparing to prime 35.
      At least it was so when I was testing similar combo for my gigapixel project a couple of yeas ago 50 mm f1.4 was sharper than zoom lens at 50 mm. 50 mm on 21 Mpix FF gave me 1.28 Gpix image.

      Bostjan

      Bostjan

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
          But...can you get with it the "gigapixel" panorama? Ok... I now ...gigapixel "fashinon" ...

          Bostjan