Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 64bit image viewer?

  • Robert Lesac
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
      > Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
      >> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
      >
      > A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
      > http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
      I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
      compared to acdSee.
      Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
      viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg

      I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
      I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
      viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

      --

      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
    • Robert Lesac
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        On 1.7.2012. 18:44, Robert Lesac wrote:
        > On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
        >> Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
        >>> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
        >>
        >> A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
        >> http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
        > I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
        > compared to acdSee.
        > Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
        > viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg
        >
        > I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
        > I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
        > viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

        FastStone doesn't support 16bit tiff properly and is slow as molasses on
        my i5@4.4GHz 16gb ram. Had to force close it after I pointed it to my
        pano directory.

        Irfan is kinda working, though it reminded me why I never used it. It
        doesn't keep the next/previous image in memory, so for 50mp images I
        have to wait 4sec while browsing :| No preloading of the images.
        Clunky, but seems to work for large images.

        What are the rest of you using?

        --

        Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          Am 01.07.2012 19:48, schrieb Robert Lesac:
          > What are the rest of you using?

          Nothing. I do my stitching in PTGui and editing - if needed at all - in
          photoshop. No need for a flat image viewer. Spherical preview however is
          a problem: DevalVR standalone doesn't load gigapixels and FSPViewer -
          although 64bit - gives an out of memory error on my 16GB machine.

        • Henrik
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012

            Hi Robert,

            Bridge in Photoshop will preview as large files as you specify in the prefrences - I am looking at a 11gb file atm

            alternatively have a look at this http://www.kolor.com/xnview-software-image-processing.html

            best of luck

            Henrik Tived

            Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 64bit image viewer?

            On 1.7.2012. 18:44, Robert Lesac wrote:
            > On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
            >> Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
            >>> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
            >>
            >> A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
            >> http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
            > I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
            > compared to acdSee.
            > Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
            > viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg
            >
            > I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
            > I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
            > viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

            FastStone doesn't support 16bit tiff properly and is slow as molasses on
            my i5@4.4GHz 16gb ram. Had to force close it after I pointed it to my
            pano directory.

            Irfan is kinda working, though it reminded me why I never used it. It
            doesn't keep the next/previous image in memory, so for 50mp images I
            have to wait 4sec while browsing :| No preloading of the images.
            Clunky, but seems to work for large images.

            What are the rest of you using?

            --

            Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • A Kielcz
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
              Have you tried Fastpicture viewer?

              A Kielcz
              Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
                On 2.7.2012. 18:39, A Kielcz wrote:
                > Have you tried Fastpicture viewer?

                The trial, yes. It sucks donkey balls in usability IMO. Don't know about
                speed as the regular version doesn't read tiffs.
                I'm not willing to spend $50 to check it out.

                --

                Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com