Re: 64bit image viewer?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      Am 01.07.2012 12:09, schrieb Robert Lesac:
      > I can't find any 64-bit image viewers.
      > I've been using ACDSee which almost works, and Photoshop :/
      >
      > All the image viewers I could find are still 32bit as no one seems to
      > care about larger images.
      > 32bit just doesn't cut it with 16bit tiffs and 50+ MP
      > How do you deal with it?

      50MP should be no problem. Even IrfanView can display 246 MP
      (23000x11500), but it fails at ~1 GP (46000x23000). But this should be
      no problem for photoshop, even as 32bit version. Years ago I edited 1 GP
      images on photoshop CS2...

    • Robert Lesac
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        On 1.7.2012. 15:53, Erik Krause wrote:
        > 50MP should be no problem. Even IrfanView can display 246 MP
        > (23000x11500), but it fails at ~1 GP (46000x23000). But this should be
        > no problem for photoshop, even as 32bit version. Years ago I edited 1 GP
        > images on photoshop CS2...

        64bit Photoshop works just fine, but it's unwieldy as an image viewer.
        I tried IrfanView some years back, but it sucked as a general image viewer.
        I usually do 50/250MP sphericals and need to check remapped images
        before stitching (masking etc...).
        It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.

        --

        Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
          > It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.

          A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
          http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...

        • Robert Lesac
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
            > Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
            >> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
            >
            > A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
            > http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
            I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
            compared to acdSee.
            Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
            viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg

            I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
            I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
            viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
              On 1.7.2012. 18:44, Robert Lesac wrote:
              > On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
              >> Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
              >>> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
              >>
              >> A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
              >> http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
              > I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
              > compared to acdSee.
              > Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
              > viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg
              >
              > I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
              > I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
              > viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

              FastStone doesn't support 16bit tiff properly and is slow as molasses on
              my i5@4.4GHz 16gb ram. Had to force close it after I pointed it to my
              pano directory.

              Irfan is kinda working, though it reminded me why I never used it. It
              doesn't keep the next/previous image in memory, so for 50mp images I
              have to wait 4sec while browsing :| No preloading of the images.
              Clunky, but seems to work for large images.

              What are the rest of you using?

              --

              Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                Am 01.07.2012 19:48, schrieb Robert Lesac:
                > What are the rest of you using?

                Nothing. I do my stitching in PTGui and editing - if needed at all - in
                photoshop. No need for a flat image viewer. Spherical preview however is
                a problem: DevalVR standalone doesn't load gigapixels and FSPViewer -
                although 64bit - gives an out of memory error on my 16GB machine.

              • Henrik
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012

                  Hi Robert,

                  Bridge in Photoshop will preview as large files as you specify in the prefrences - I am looking at a 11gb file atm

                  alternatively have a look at this http://www.kolor.com/xnview-software-image-processing.html

                  best of luck

                  Henrik Tived

                  Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 64bit image viewer?

                  On 1.7.2012. 18:44, Robert Lesac wrote:
                  > On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
                  >> Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
                  >>> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
                  >>
                  >> A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
                  >> http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
                  > I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
                  > compared to acdSee.
                  > Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
                  > viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg
                  >
                  > I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
                  > I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
                  > viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

                  FastStone doesn't support 16bit tiff properly and is slow as molasses on
                  my i5@4.4GHz 16gb ram. Had to force close it after I pointed it to my
                  pano directory.

                  Irfan is kinda working, though it reminded me why I never used it. It
                  doesn't keep the next/previous image in memory, so for 50mp images I
                  have to wait 4sec while browsing :| No preloading of the images.
                  Clunky, but seems to work for large images.

                  What are the rest of you using?

                  --

                  Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

                  <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • A Kielcz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
                    Have you tried Fastpicture viewer?

                    A Kielcz
                    Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
                      On 2.7.2012. 18:39, A Kielcz wrote:
                      > Have you tried Fastpicture viewer?

                      The trial, yes. It sucks donkey balls in usability IMO. Don't know about
                      speed as the regular version doesn't read tiffs.
                      I'm not willing to spend $50 to check it out.

                      --

                      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com