64bit image viewer?

  • Robert Lesac
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      Hi!

      I can't find any 64-bit image viewers.
      I've been using ACDSee which almost works, and Photoshop :/

      All the image viewers I could find are still 32bit as no one seems to
      care about larger images.
      32bit just doesn't cut it with 16bit tiffs and 50+ MP
      How do you deal with it?

      --

      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        Am 01.07.2012 12:09, schrieb Robert Lesac:
        > I can't find any 64-bit image viewers.
        > I've been using ACDSee which almost works, and Photoshop :/
        >
        > All the image viewers I could find are still 32bit as no one seems to
        > care about larger images.
        > 32bit just doesn't cut it with 16bit tiffs and 50+ MP
        > How do you deal with it?

        50MP should be no problem. Even IrfanView can display 246 MP
        (23000x11500), but it fails at ~1 GP (46000x23000). But this should be
        no problem for photoshop, even as 32bit version. Years ago I edited 1 GP
        images on photoshop CS2...

      • Robert Lesac
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          On 1.7.2012. 15:53, Erik Krause wrote:
          > 50MP should be no problem. Even IrfanView can display 246 MP
          > (23000x11500), but it fails at ~1 GP (46000x23000). But this should be
          > no problem for photoshop, even as 32bit version. Years ago I edited 1 GP
          > images on photoshop CS2...

          64bit Photoshop works just fine, but it's unwieldy as an image viewer.
          I tried IrfanView some years back, but it sucked as a general image viewer.
          I usually do 50/250MP sphericals and need to check remapped images
          before stitching (masking etc...).
          It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.

          --

          Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
            > It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.

            A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
            http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...

          • Robert Lesac
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
              On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
              > Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
              >> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
              >
              > A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
              > http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
              I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
              compared to acdSee.
              Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
              viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg

              I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
              I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
              viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                On 1.7.2012. 18:44, Robert Lesac wrote:
                > On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
                >> Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
                >>> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
                >>
                >> A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
                >> http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
                > I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
                > compared to acdSee.
                > Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
                > viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg
                >
                > I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
                > I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
                > viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

                FastStone doesn't support 16bit tiff properly and is slow as molasses on
                my i5@4.4GHz 16gb ram. Had to force close it after I pointed it to my
                pano directory.

                Irfan is kinda working, though it reminded me why I never used it. It
                doesn't keep the next/previous image in memory, so for 50mp images I
                have to wait 4sec while browsing :| No preloading of the images.
                Clunky, but seems to work for large images.

                What are the rest of you using?

                --

                Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                  Am 01.07.2012 19:48, schrieb Robert Lesac:
                  > What are the rest of you using?

                  Nothing. I do my stitching in PTGui and editing - if needed at all - in
                  photoshop. No need for a flat image viewer. Spherical preview however is
                  a problem: DevalVR standalone doesn't load gigapixels and FSPViewer -
                  although 64bit - gives an out of memory error on my 16GB machine.

                • Henrik
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012

                    Hi Robert,

                    Bridge in Photoshop will preview as large files as you specify in the prefrences - I am looking at a 11gb file atm

                    alternatively have a look at this http://www.kolor.com/xnview-software-image-processing.html

                    best of luck

                    Henrik Tived

                    Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 64bit image viewer?

                    On 1.7.2012. 18:44, Robert Lesac wrote:
                    > On 1.7.2012. 17:36, Erik Krause wrote:
                    >> Am 01.07.2012 16:10, schrieb Robert Lesac:
                    >>> It would really be nice to have a proper 64bit viewer.
                    >>
                    >> A quick search for '64bit image viewer' gave
                    >> http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ as one of the first hits...
                    > I tried their trial some time ago, it was...very lacking, more of a joke
                    > compared to acdSee.
                    > Tried the latest one just now, it doesn't even have a thumbnail
                    > viewer.....Free version supports only jpeg
                    >
                    > I'll give Irfan and FastStone a go, but both are 32bit.
                    > I find it weird that in the middle of 2012 there's only one 64bit image
                    > viewer, how hard is it to compile a 64bit version?

                    FastStone doesn't support 16bit tiff properly and is slow as molasses on
                    my i5@4.4GHz 16gb ram. Had to force close it after I pointed it to my
                    pano directory.

                    Irfan is kinda working, though it reminded me why I never used it. It
                    doesn't keep the next/previous image in memory, so for 50mp images I
                    have to wait 4sec while browsing :| No preloading of the images.
                    Clunky, but seems to work for large images.

                    What are the rest of you using?

                    --

                    Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                    PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • A Kielcz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
                      Have you tried Fastpicture viewer?

                      A Kielcz
                      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2012
                        On 2.7.2012. 18:39, A Kielcz wrote:
                        > Have you tried Fastpicture viewer?

                        The trial, yes. It sucks donkey balls in usability IMO. Don't know about
                        speed as the regular version doesn't read tiffs.
                        I'm not willing to spend $50 to check it out.

                        --

                        Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com