Re: [PanoToolsNG] "The Block" -- a social history project

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      Hi Peter,

      Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

      Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)

      Bostjan

      http://www.sbs.com.au/
      (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
      http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome

      it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.

      I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.

      PeterM

      This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.

      Michel

    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
        Full ack.
        Those overambitious projects render themselves into oblivion.
        When it takes more then a minute to just load an intro sequence with no content, then waiting again for another sequence without knowing what's gonna happen I immediately lose interest. Plus navigation is rather confusing to me.
        Nonetheless personally I am highly interested in this kind of documentation and I will work through that mess, but I can assure you, I won't like the creators for doing this to me :))

        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

        > Hi Peter,
        >
        > Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :
        >
        > > Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)
        > >
        > > Bostjan
        > >
        > > http://www.sbs.com.au/
        > > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
        > > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
        > >
        > > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
        > >
        > > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
        > >
        > > PeterM
        >
        > This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.
        >
        > Michel

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          I agree. I am interested in viewing the documentary but don't have the time to waste on all the fluff.