Re: [PanoToolsNG] "The Block" -- a social history project

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
      Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)

      Bostjan

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 12:26 AM
        Hi Peter,

        Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

[...]

        This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.

        Michel

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 2:23 AM
          Full ack.
          Those overambitious projects render themselves into oblivion.
          When it takes more then a minute to just load an intro sequence with no content, then waiting again for another sequence without knowing what's gonna happen I immediately lose interest. Plus navigation is rather confusing to me.
          Nonetheless personally I am highly interested in this kind of documentation and I will work through that mess, but I can assure you, I won't like the creators for doing this to me :))

          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

          > Hi Peter,
          >
          > Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :
          >
          > > Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)
          > >
          > > Bostjan
          > >
          > > http://www.sbs.com.au/
          > > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
          > > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
          > >
          > > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
          > >
          > > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
          > >
          > > PeterM
          >
          > This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.
          >
          > Michel

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 3:28 AM
            I agree. I am interested in viewing the documentary but don't have the time to waste on all the fluff.