Re: "The Block" -- a social history project

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
      ... a video about the project
      http://www.sbs.com.au/news/video/2251024854/The-Block-behind-the-scenes

      Here is an interview with the designer
      http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/blogs/view/id/126388/t/Making-The-Block-Interactive-design-and-development

      PeterM

      > http://www.sbs.com.au/
      > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
      > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
      >
      > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
      >
      > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
      >
      > PeterM

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
        Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)

        Bostjan

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
          Hi Peter,

          Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

[...]

          This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.

          Michel

        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
            Full ack.
            Those overambitious projects render themselves into oblivion.
            When it takes more then a minute to just load an intro sequence with no content, then waiting again for another sequence without knowing what's gonna happen I immediately lose interest. Plus navigation is rather confusing to me.
            Nonetheless personally I am highly interested in this kind of documentation and I will work through that mess, but I can assure you, I won't like the creators for doing this to me :))

            Jürgen

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

            > Hi Peter,
            >
            > Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :
            >
            > > Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)
            > >
            > > Bostjan
            > >
            > > http://www.sbs.com.au/
            > > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
            > > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
            > >
            > > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
            > >
            > > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
            > >
            > > PeterM
            >
            > This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.
            >
            > Michel

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
              I agree. I am interested in viewing the documentary but don't have the time to waste on all the fluff.