"The Block" -- a social history project

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
      http://www.sbs.com.au/
      (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
      http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome

      it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.

      I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
        ... a video about the project
        http://www.sbs.com.au/news/video/2251024854/The-Block-behind-the-scenes

        Here is an interview with the designer
        http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/blogs/view/id/126388/t/Making-The-Block-Interactive-design-and-development

        PeterM

        > http://www.sbs.com.au/
        > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
        > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
        >
        > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
        >
        > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
        >
        > PeterM

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
          Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)

          Bostjan

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 12:26 AM
            Hi Peter,

            Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :

[...]

            This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.

            Michel

          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1 2:23 AM
              Full ack.
              Those overambitious projects render themselves into oblivion.
              When it takes more then a minute to just load an intro sequence with no content, then waiting again for another sequence without knowing what's gonna happen I immediately lose interest. Plus navigation is rather confusing to me.
              Nonetheless personally I am highly interested in this kind of documentation and I will work through that mess, but I can assure you, I won't like the creators for doing this to me :))

              Jürgen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

              > Hi Peter,
              >
              > Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :
              >
              > > Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)
              > >
              > > Bostjan
              > >
              > > http://www.sbs.com.au/
              > > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
              > > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
              > >
              > > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
              > >
              > > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
              > >
              > > PeterM
              >
              > This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.
              >
              > Michel

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1 3:28 AM
                I agree. I am interested in viewing the documentary but don't have the time to waste on all the fluff.