Re: Lens needed for 8000 x 4000 with Nikon D70s

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 26, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sacha
      >
      > Right. Thanks. Big help mate. I might just hire the lens for this job see how I get on with it. Is only £25 a day over here.
      >
      > Yeah I know it's weird especially as they just want the panos for an ipad app though max ipad will do is 1024 cube faces = about 3000 x 1500, so I dunno tbh. Im sure it'll become clearer as we progress.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Masten
      >
      > www.virtutour.com

      Trash your D70s
      It is just too old and with a resolution of just 6MP you can not even with a Nikkor 10.5 get close to the quality you can get with a modern DSLR.
      A Nikkor 10,5mm is $700-800

      A new Nikon D7000 body with 16 mp is $1000 and will give you 10000x5000 with the Sigma 8mm. I assume it is a Soigma 8mm 3.5 mm

      Unfortunately the new Nikon D3200 with a 24 mp sensor at $700 does not have autobracketing but you can get another 16mp, the Nikon D5100 at just $650 incl standard 18-55mm lens.

      You will get much better dynamic range and you get video and Live view for less than the price of the 10.5 lens.

      D5100 € 519,-
      http://www.digicamshop.nl/category/181294/nikon-d5100.html

      Nikon 10.5 € 609,-
      http://www.digicamshop.nl/category/188334/fisheye-lenzen-voor-nikon-spiegelreflexcameras.html?sort=popularity&dir=d&page=2&items=10

      Hans

    • Fernando Costa Pinto
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 27, 2012
        ayrton ..you are so arrogant .. what is your purpose ? humiliate for free ? what do you win with that ? simpaty from who? other arrogants ..can only be ...

        Fernando
        Salvador Bahia
        Brazil

        On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

        On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM, maston67 <masten7@...> wrote:
        Hi Sacha
        Right. Thanks. Big help mate. I might just hire the lens for this job see how I get on with it. Is only £25 a day over here.
        Yeah I know it's weird especially as they just want the panos for an ipad app

        To be honest what I think is weird is that on your site you state :  "producing spectacular High Definition 360 degree photography of the highest quality."

        And you say you use a D70 and worry about getting another lens or camera body !?!?!

        Sorry, but I couldn't resist

        Best

        though max ipad will do is 1024 cube faces = about 3000 x 1500, so I dunno tbh. Im sure it'll become clearer as we progress.

        Cheers

        Masten

        www.virtutour.com

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

        > D70 is 8mp at 1.6 crop if I remember correctly. Equivalent to a 5dii full
        > frame. So that's around 9000x4500 minimum. That's bizarre that a client is
        > smart enough to request those dimensions. You must be directly competing
        > with someone else's quote.
        >

        > Sacha Griffin
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC  - Atlanta, Georgia
        > http://www.seeit360.com
        > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
        > http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
        > IM: sachagriffin007@...
        > Office: 404-551-4275
        >
        > On Jun 26, 2012, at 5:01 PM, maston67 <masten7@...> wrote:
        >

        > Hi Sacha
        >
        > Right thanks. Do you know exactly what resolution it will generate or how I
        > can work it out. I dont want to get one and it not be enough.
        >
        > Are there any other options? Sigma 10mm?
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        >
        > Masten
        >
        > Masten Gregory
        >
        > www.virtutour.com
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > That's too funny.
        > >
        > > That would be absolute fraud and it wouldn't make that sigma 8mm look any
        > > better.
        > >
        > > For a D70, a Nikon 10.5 would get you there. I haven't used the 10.5 on a
        > > crop in a while, but I think it's 6 around, 1 up and 2 down or vice versa.
        > >

        > > Best Regards,
        > >

        > > Sacha Griffin
        > >
        > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC - Atlanta, Georgia
        > >
        > > <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
        > >
        > > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
        > >
        > > <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
        > >
        > > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@> sachagriffin007@
        > >
        > > Office: 404-551-4275

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Willy Kaemena

          Try sizimg before changing your workflow.
          http://www.realitypixels.com/products/sizimg.html

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I have a client that wants a minimum source image of 8000 x 4000.
          >
          > I use a Nikon D70s with a Sigma 8mm which generates a max of 6000 x 3000.
          >
          > What lens would I need to get 8000 x 4000. A Sigma 15mm? and how many shots would I have to shoot: Would it be 8 around, 1 up, 1 down?
          >
          > I dont want to change the camera unless absolutely necessary owing to costs invloved.
          >
          > Many thanks
          >
          > Masten

        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 27, 2012
            I'm sorry, but I feel Ayrton is quite right.
            As commercial photographers is our responsability to give customers what we claim.
            Take this without arrogance and without any bad spirit. The upgrade you need is in the camera, if you want to upgrade the lens in a 2nd time, I may suggest you to buy a Nikkor 10.5 or a Tokina 10-17.
            You will be able to shoot 6+1+1 till 1+8+8+1
            Nikon D7000, D3200 are the best choices now. You can get a 2nd hand 5100 for few bucks right now...
            I'm not speaking about "professional" cameras, but cameras that can give stunning professional results if used professionally. Ungfortunately Nikon lacks a professional APSC camera in the line, right now. D300 being a bit old.

            --
            Luca Vascon.

          • prague
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
              +1

              get rid of your d70 !!

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

              > My suggestion is not to think on the lens side, because the Sigma 8 comes very handy with only 4 shots around and it doesn't require nadir / zenith BUT to retire the D70 it is from 2003 !! Get something better. A D300 gives you 8200x4100
              >

              > Willy
              >

              > On Jun 26, 2012, at 17:22, Sacha Griffin wrote:
              >

              > > That's too funny.
              > >
              > > That would be absolute fraud and it wouldn't make that sigma 8mm look any better.
              > >
              > > For a D70, a Nikon 10.5 would get you there. I haven't used the 10.5 on a crop in a while, but I think it's 6 around, 1 up and 2 down or vice versa.
              > >

              > > Best Regards,
              > >

              > > Sacha Griffin
              > >
              > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC - Atlanta, Georgia
              > >
              > > http://www.seeit360.com
              > >
              > > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
              > >
              > > http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
              > >
              > > IM: sachagriffin007@...
              > >
              > > Office: 404-551-4275

            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Fernando Costa Pinto <fcp.fernando@...> wrote:

                ayrton ..you are so arrogant ..

                Thanks dear Fernando :-)

                what is your purpose ? humiliate for free ? what do you win with that ? simpaty from who?

                Don't be false Fernando
                You know I'm talking about writing on a website lies that makes clients get deceived

                Saying something so strong like "spetacular highest quality"
                and producing something below above the line of that
                it is like selling some colored metal as if it was gold.

                Would be much more respectable to just write "producing beautiful 360 photography"

                To LIE like that is NOT good for our profession, for our media, for our clients ... oppps I'm sorry maybe you don't think like that

                Sorry again

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                  I agree with you Ayrton; the truth should be told.  Maybe told more softly when pointing things like this out could be an option as well :)

                  The Pano website relating to my panoramic services is in the making, and the person putting the texts together (in Spanish) did write that the best available cameras/lenses and software is used to create the panoramas, and I removed that part immediately from the (unfinished and not published) site, since it is not true at all.  I have equipment that can produce decent results (Olympus E-3 + Zuiko 8mm and Zuiko 12-60mm)... but this is lightyears away from coming close to the best available hardware.

                  A client who knows just a little bit about cameras/lenses, would be able to tell immediately, and that again would not be kind to anyone's business that claims to have the best.  Truth is also a tool in our toolbox, and we should use it in every project we make in our working world.

                  Trausti

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                     Ayrton ,

                    What right do you have to judge and condemn other persons work ?
                    Is other persons work on trial ? Do they  cause you prejudice?
                    Are you a judge?

                    Can't you find a more agreeable and didactically way to say what you think ?

                    I hope next time you weigh better your words.

                    Fernando
                    Salvador  Bahia
                    Brazil

                  • Kathy Wheeler
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                      On 06/29/2012, at 5:45 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                      > and the person putting the texts together (in Spanish) did write that the best available cameras/lenses and software is used to create the panoramas, and I removed that part immediately from the (unfinished and not published) site, since it is not true at all.

                      And you are correct Trausti, it could probably never be true under any circumstances. "Best" is so subjective, everyone has their own preferred "best" camera brand. Then of course what was "best available" when the site copy was written could be superseded by the time the site goes live.

                      But then there is marketing-speak - which most if not all should know is largely pure puffery* ...

                      "spetacular highest quality" sounds like puffery and could be challenged, especially by the likes of people here. Whereas "spetacular high quality" would be difficult to dispute unless your work was really bad.

                      But then, the work will speak louder than the words. Words which, as mentioned previously are often marketing-speak and likely to be more or less just puffery*.

                      So Fernando, I respectfully suggest you let your work speak for you, and Ayrton I remind you that "truth" in "advertising" is an unfortunately outdated concept. A bit like "truth" in "politics". Get used to it.

                      *Puffery as a legal term refers to promotional statements and claims that express subjective rather than objective views, which no "reasonable person" would take literally.
                      *Puffery: informal exaggerated praise, esp in publicity or advertising

                      KathyW.

                      "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." Robert Heinlein
                      "Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." Attributed to George Orwell.
                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                        On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Fernando Costa Pinto <fcp.fernando@...> wrote:

                         Ayrton ,

                        What right do you have to judge and condemn other persons work ?

                        Fernando
                        you need to sleep a bit
                        :-)
                        you sound crazy, or "abestalhado"

                        WHO said something about his WORK
                        I said about stating HIGHEST DEFINITION and using a old camera and lens not capable of delivering the Promised HIGHEST DEFINITION

                        Got it now ?   :-)

                        Is other persons work on trial ? Do they cause you prejudice? Are you a judge?

                        are you ?

                        Can't you find a more agreeable and didactically way to say what you think ?

                        Do you ???
                        you're wasting time to discuss this

                        For me it is finish
                        No more wasting my time with you and disturbibg the panotools list

                        My opinion was and it is the same !

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                          Sorry Kathy
                          you're right about politics and advertising :-)

                          I will get out of this discussion to avoid more waste of time from everybody

                          Sorry to all.

                          Cheers

                          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                          http://ayrton360.com
                          twitter.com/ayrton360

                          "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

                          On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

                          On 06/29/2012, at 5:45 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                          >  and the person putting the texts together (in Spanish) did write that the best available cameras/lenses and software is used to create the panoramas, and I removed that part immediately from the (unfinished and not published) site, since it is not true at all.

                          And you are correct Trausti, it could probably never be true under any circumstances. "Best" is so subjective, everyone has their own preferred "best" camera brand. Then of course what was "best available" when the site copy was written could be superseded by the time the site goes live.

                          But then there is marketing-speak - which most if not all should know is largely pure puffery* ...

                          "spetacular highest quality" sounds like puffery and could be challenged, especially by the likes of people here. Whereas "spetacular high quality" would be difficult to dispute unless your work was really bad.

                          But then, the work will speak louder than the words. Words which, as mentioned previously are often marketing-speak and likely to be more or less just puffery*.

                          So Fernando, I respectfully suggest you let your work speak for you, and Ayrton I remind you that "truth" in "advertising" is an unfortunately outdated concept. A bit like "truth" in "politics". Get used to it.

                          *Puffery as a legal term refers to promotional statements and claims that express subjective rather than objective views, which no "reasonable person" would take literally.
                          *Puffery: informal  exaggerated praise, esp in publicity or advertising

                          KathyW.

                          "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." Robert Heinlein
                          "Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." Attributed to George Orwell.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • John Riley
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                            On Jun 28, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                            Maybe told more softly when pointing things like this out could be an option as well :)

                            Trausti - are you mellowing out with age or something, lol? Maybe getting a little soft on us?

                            John Riley
                            4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                            http://4pi-vr.com
                            johnriley@...
                            (h)864-461-3504
                            (c)864-431-7075
                            (w)864-503-5775
                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 28, 2012
                              :)  ... I may have been taken over by some soul-snatching aliens.  ... or it could be an effect of having enough arguments around me with my kids (2 and 5 year old) fighting each other every waking hour ... I think that must be the real reason.

                              I have noticed the change myself for quite some time.

                              Trausti

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 30, 2012
                                Trausti, An Olympus E-3 or E-5 with those two lenses is the camera I'd like to have when I'm in he middle of the storm, in the mud, in the desert or where the elements would  destroy my D800 - 5Dmk2

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 30, 2012
                                  Am 29.06.2012 01:10, schrieb Trausti Hraunfjord:
                                  > :) ... I may have been taken over by some soul-snatching aliens. ...
                                  > or it could be an effect of having enough arguments around me with my
                                  > kids (2 and 5 year old) fighting each other every waking hour ... I
                                  > think that must be the real reason.

                                  Don't attribute to your children what actually this group did. ;-)

                                  It's love it or leave it. Since you didn't leave you must love it and
                                  love softens :-)

                                  Sorry, could not resist...