ACR and sky

  • terak1us
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 21, 2012
      I am working on a large series of Pat's panos that were shot on his trip to Kentucky and Tennessee, and an old problem with ACR is manifesting itself: I get strange hue changes in the sky when converting from raw to 16bit tif. As always, I have all sliders in ACR set to zero and use a linear tone and "point" curve. If I remember well, this hue change has something to do with ACR trying to fill in missing parts of the histogram, but whatever the reason - how do I avoid it?
      Here is a link to the image converted with ACR and converted using Irfanview: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_irfan.jpg
      ACR: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_ACR.jpg

      Carel Struycken
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 21, 2012
        Looks like highlight recovery. Odd hues in highlights are normal when you have one channel clipped completely. Looks like highlight recovery has been abused to 100%.

        Sacha Griffin
        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 21, 2012
          Nope, everything set to zero with linear tone curve in ACR. These are Pat's files, but they were raw files. I remember having ACR problems with blue LEDs inside the Dragon SpaceX capsule when we were shooting a pano there and when I tried it in Silkypix everything came out fine. But I do not have Silkypix at my current location.
          http://www.spacex.com/panorama/index.html (BTW,I hate how they messed with the aspect ratio on the Dragon pano webpage, but it was out of our control).

          Carel

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

          > Looks like highlight recovery. Odd hues in highlights are normal when you
          > have one channel clipped completely. Looks like highlight recovery has been
          > abused to 100%.
          >
          > Sacha Griffin
          > http://www.seeit360.com
          > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
          > http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
          > IM: sachagriffin007@...
          > Office: 404-551-4275
          >
          > On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:40 PM, terak1us <cstruycken@...> wrote:
          >

          > I am working on a large series of Pat's panos that were shot on his trip to
          > Kentucky and Tennessee, and an old problem with ACR is manifesting itself:
          > I get strange hue changes in the sky when converting from raw to 16bit tif.
          > As always, I have all sliders in ACR set to zero and use a linear tone and
          > "point" curve. If I remember well, this hue change has something to do with
          > ACR trying to fill in missing parts of the histogram, but whatever the
          > reason - how do I avoid it?
          > Here is a link to the image converted with ACR and converted using
          > Irfanview: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_irfan.jpg
          > ACR: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_ACR.jpg
          >
          > Carel Struycken

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 21, 2012
            No sense in speculation. Let's see the raw file.

            Sacha Griffin
            Office: 404-551-4275

            On Jun 22, 2012, at 12:20 AM, terak1us <cstruycken@...> wrote:

            Nope, everything set to zero with linear tone curve in ACR. These are Pat's files, but they were raw files. I remember having ACR problems with blue LEDs inside the Dragon SpaceX capsule when we were shooting a pano there and when I tried it in Silkypix everything came out fine. But I do not have Silkypix at my current location.
            http://www.spacex.com/panorama/index.html (BTW,I hate how they messed with the aspect ratio on the Dragon pano webpage, but it was out of our control).

            Carel

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

            > Looks like highlight recovery. Odd hues in highlights are normal when you
            > have one channel clipped completely. Looks like highlight recovery has been
            > abused to 100%.
            >
            > Sacha Griffin
            > http://www.seeit360.com
            > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
            > http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
            > IM: sachagriffin007@...
            > Office: 404-551-4275
            >
            > On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:40 PM, terak1us <cstruycken@...> wrote:
            >

            > I am working on a large series of Pat's panos that were shot on his trip to
            > Kentucky and Tennessee, and an old problem with ACR is manifesting itself:
            > I get strange hue changes in the sky when converting from raw to 16bit tif.
            > As always, I have all sliders in ACR set to zero and use a linear tone and
            > "point" curve. If I remember well, this hue change has something to do with
            > ACR trying to fill in missing parts of the histogram, but whatever the
            > reason - how do I avoid it?
            > Here is a link to the image converted with ACR and converted using
            > Irfanview: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_irfan.jpg
            > ACR: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_ACR.jpg
            >
            > Carel Struycken

          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 21, 2012
              Carel, you may chech white balance.
              I recently had that problem when stitching images from a customer who had set his white balance in the camera to auto. If you use your own ride value in ACR everything should be fine.

              Good luck
              Jürgen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "terak1us" <cstruycken@...> wrote:

              > I am working on a large series of Pat's panos that were shot on his trip to Kentucky and Tennessee, and an old problem with ACR is manifesting itself: I get strange hue changes in the sky when converting from raw to 16bit tif. As always, I have all sliders in ACR set to zero and use a linear tone and "point" curve. If I remember well, this hue change has something to do with ACR trying to fill in missing parts of the histogram, but whatever the reason - how do I avoid it?
              > Here is a link to the image converted with ACR and converted using Irfanview: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_irfan.jpg
              > ACR: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_ACR.jpg
              >
              > Carel Struycken

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "terak1us" <cstruycken@...> wrote:

                > I am working on a large series of Pat's panos that were shot on his trip to Kentucky and Tennessee, and an old problem with ACR is manifesting itself: I get strange hue changes in the sky when converting from raw to 16bit tif. As always, I have all sliders in ACR set to zero and use a linear tone and "point" curve. If I remember well, this hue change has something to do with ACR trying to fill in missing parts of the histogram, but whatever the reason - how do I avoid it?
                > Here is a link to the image converted with ACR and converted using Irfanview: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_irfan.jpg
                > ACR: http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/sky_ACR.jpg
                >
                > Carel Struycken

                This was typical for Nikon cameras many years ago.
                The ones I remember was Nikon D70 which was very bad,

                You do not say what camera you use. In ACR you can change the profile. Standard is usually set to Adobe but most cameras has several different profiles to choose which give very different colors.

                Also what version do you use. The CS6 ACR 7.1 is fantastic for highlights. No clipped highlights any more like you have in your test if you use the highlight and the white sliders correctly.

                Hans
              • terak1us
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                  OK, here it is: www.sphericalpanoramas.com/_MG_0447.CR2

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                  > No sense in speculation. Let's see the raw file.
                  >
                  > Sacha Griffin
                • terak1us
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                    Hans,

                    I have not upgraded yet and use CS5 at the moment. This was from a bracketed series. In this particular example I can ignore this over-exposed one, but in others that Pat shot I will need the over-exposed brackets and the sky looks the same on all the over exposed skies. He was using a Canon T3i and the Sigma 8mm I gave him a few years ago.

                    Carel

                    > Also what version do you use. The CS6 ACR 7.1 is fantastic for highlights. No clipped highlights any more like you have in your test if you use the highlight and the white sliders correctly.
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "terak1us" <cstruycken@...> wrote:

                      > Hans,
                      >
                      > I have not upgraded yet and use CS5 at the moment. This was from a bracketed series. In this particular example I can ignore this over-exposed one, but in others that Pat shot I will need the over-exposed brackets and the sky looks the same on all the over exposed skies. He was using a Canon T3i and the Sigma 8mm I gave him a few years ago.
                      >
                      > Carel

                      It looks to me like you have been using the Landscape profile. It will produce the cyan sky.

                      Here is what you can achive with the new CS6 7.1 ACR

                      http://www.panoramas.dk/technics/carel_MG_0447nyberg.jpg

                      And here is what I get with CS5 and The Neutral Profile.
                      Just some highlightrecovery and same exposure setting with -1
                      http://www.panoramas.dk/technics/carel_MG_0447CS5nyberg.jpg

                      The ACR 7.1 is fantastic. No more blown out highlight on sundowns.

                      Hans

                      > > Also what version do you use. The CS6 ACR 7.1 is fantastic for highlights. No clipped highlights any more like you have in your test if you use the highlight and the white sliders correctly.
                      > >
                      > > Hans

                    • Michel Thoby
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012

                        Le 22 juin 2012 à 20:07, Hans a écrit :

                        Here is what you can achive with the new CS6 7.1 ACR

                        http://www.panoramas.dk/technics/carel_MG_0447nyberg.jpg

                        The ACR 7.1 is fantastic. No more blown out highlight on sundowns.

                        Hans
                        I use Adobe Lightroom 4.1 instead of Adobe CS6 7.1 ACR. They are claimed to be running on the very same engine(s).
                        I share Hans' enthusiasm: I replicated Hans' settings and had exactly the same great result. I am then not planning to upgrade from  CS4.

                        Michel

                      • terak1us
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                          I checked camera profile and it was set to "Adobe Standard". Problem solved after resetting it to "camera neutral". I guess "Adobe Standard" is meant for use with Adobe RGB..? Anyhow, problem solved. And an encouragement to upgrade to CS6. Thanks Hans!

                          Carel

                          > It looks to me like you have been using the Landscape profile. It will produce the cyan sky.
                          >
                          > Here is what you can achive with the new CS6 7.1 ACR
                          >
                          > http://www.panoramas.dk/technics/carel_MG_0447nyberg.jpg
                          >
                          > And here is what I get with CS5 and The Neutral Profile.
                          > Just some highlightrecovery and same exposure setting with -1
                          > http://www.panoramas.dk/technics/carel_MG_0447CS5nyberg.jpg
                          >
                          > The ACR 7.1 is fantastic. No more blown out highlight on sundowns.
                          >
                          > Hans
                          >

                          > > > Also what version do you use. The CS6 ACR 7.1 is fantastic for highlights. No clipped highlights any more like you have in your test if you use the highlight and the white sliders correctly.
                          > > >
                          > > > Hans

                        • Willy Kaemena
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                            That is very promising Hans, a reason to step up to CS6. Thank you for your valuable  hints  and tests

                            Willy