iPhone lens

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012
      I have tried to take a full spherical panorama with my iPhone 4s with included original camera software, handheld. I have leveled 360° panorama but the projection into surround 360° photography is quite strange... like it is not leveled. Here is an example: http://www.burger.si/Italy/Mangrt/DolnjeMangrtskoJezero.html . The source of the surround photography is ~ 20,000 x 10,000 360° spherical panorama. It is something with the iPhone lens math that the projection is "different"?

      :) Bostjan
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012

        It just looks like standard leveling issue, combined with a touch of less than perfect lens correction. You should probably try to optimize the lens first with an architectural subject first. With such a subject as yours it’s very easy to get a good stitch without noticing these issues.

        Best Regards,

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012
          I read: http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-35-mm-equivalent-focal-length-of-the-iPhone-4S-camera (fl= 33m )and my calculation for focal lenght: 4.172 x 8,178 mm (fl= 34,11 mm)

          Bostjan

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012

            Sure, but if you shoot a sphere of an architectural subject, the parameters you find in ptgui will be much more accurate than any literature you will find online.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012
              hi bostjan!

              here are the iphone 4s values suitable for a ptgui stitch:
              lens type is pretty normal rectilinear
              fov 42.62 deg / 4.069 mm * 8.178 crop factor
              a -0.005271
              b -0.1105
              c 0.04997
              d / e should vary

              i've made a pano as a proof of concept, taken wit the 645 pro camera app
              (can lock exposure, focus, iso and shutter speed and saves 100% quality
              jpegs / http://jag.gr)) and the gymbl pro tripod adapter
              (http://blog.youbiq.com/gymbl-pro).

              unfortunately the gymbl has a large nadir footprint.

              stitches in ptui with 1.6px average / 5.6px max accuracy ("very good").
              result is 19,716 x 9,858px.

              as not being comparable to anything really professional it's a pocket
              size solution with reasonable results.
              kind of a toy, but a serious one ;-)

              you can see it here:
              http://www.360cities.net/image/jesuit-church-vienna

              cheers
              thomas

              Am 18.06.12 17:30, schrieb Bostjan Burger:
              > I have tried to take a full spherical panorama with my iPhone 4s with
              > included original camera software, handheld. I have leveled 360°
              > panorama but the projection into surround 360° photography is quite
              > strange... like it is not leveled. Here is an example:
              > http://www.burger.si/Italy/Mangrt/DolnjeMangrtskoJezero.html . The
              > source of the surround photography is ~ 20,000 x 10,000 360° spherical
              > panorama. It is something with the iPhone lens math that the projection
              > is "different"?
              >
              > :) Bostjan

            • Bostjan Burger
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012
                Thomas,

                nice stiching. Thanks for sharing the lens parameters. Exactly... kind of toy but serious one... I didn't have camera that day but just got an idea to use the phone camera.

                Bostjan

                here are the iphone 4s values suitable for a ptgui stitch:
                lens type is pretty normal rectilinear
                fov 42.62 deg / 4.069 mm * 8.178 crop factor
                a -0.005271
                b -0.1105
                c 0.04997
                d / e should vary

                i've made a pano as a proof of concept, taken wit the 645 pro camera app
                (can lock exposure, focus, iso and shutter speed and saves 100% quality
                jpegs / http://jag.gr)) and the gymbl pro tripod adapter
                (http://blog.youbiq.com/gymbl-pro).

                unfortunately the gymbl has a large nadir footprint.

                stitches in ptui with 1.6px average / 5.6px max accuracy ("very good").
                result is 19,716 x 9,858px.

                as not being comparable to anything really professional it's a pocket
                size solution with reasonable results.
                kind of a toy, but a serious one ;-)

                you can see it here:
                http://www.360cities.net/image/jesuit-church-vienna

                cheers
                thomas

                Am 18.06.12 17:30, schrieb Bostjan Burger:
                > I have tried to take a full spherical panorama with my iPhone 4s with
                > included original camera software, handheld. I have leveled 360°
                > panorama but the projection into surround 360° photography is quite
                > strange... like it is not leveled. Here is an example:
                > http://www.burger.si/Italy/Mangrt/DolnjeMangrtskoJezero.html . The
                > source of the surround photography is ~ 20,000 x 10,000 360° spherical
                > panorama. It is something with the iPhone lens math that the projection
                > is "different"?
                >
                > :) Bostjan

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 18, 2012
                  Am 18.06.2012 18:31, schrieb Thomas Bredenfeld:
                  > you can see it here:
                  > http://www.360cities.net/image/jesuit-church-vienna

                  large radius USM would make it less foggy :-) Apart from that it is
                  surprisingly good!