Some coaching on a FX lens for Nikon ...16mm??

  • montana_jimbo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
      Hi,
      I'd like to get a Nikon 16mm 2.8 fisheye lens..Noticed on previous posts that it seemed to fair well or so I thought.. I have a couple ways to go.. The older AIS lens (manual or one of the later auto focus versions).. I'll shoot an 800e so I'm after someting that will work with it along with lesser MP rigs.. I only want to do this once so I'd appreciate any guidance available.

      jimbo
    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
        Go for the 16mm AF, or you have to find a 100% working example 15mm Sigma.
        AFD nikkor verion has a better multicoating than previous AIS. while retaining the same optical scheme from the AI and AIS version
        :-P

        2012/6/17 montana_jimbo <mrjimbo@...>
        Hi,
        I'd like to get a Nikon 16mm 2.8 fisheye lens..Noticed on previous posts that it seemed to fair well or so I thought.. I have a couple ways to go.. The older AIS lens (manual or one of the later auto focus versions).. I'll shoot an 800e so I'm after someting that will work with it along with lesser MP rigs.. I only want to do this once so I'd appreciate any guidance available.

        jimbo

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Luca Vascon.

      • jimbo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
          Thanks Luca  ... Nice reference site also.

          jimbo

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
            Hi Jimbo

            I use the 800e & 16mm af, see these tests:

            6 round +Z on a 360p 'adjuste' works well!

            hope this helps

            JL

            John Law ARPS
            JL Panoramas
            www.john-law.org.uk
            mail@...
            t:   01225 339590
            m: 07814 993904

          • Carl von Einem
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
              Hi,

              for this panorama I used the 14-24mm 2.8 AF-S Nikkor at 16mm on my D300
              using a 360Precision Adjuste:
              <http://www.360cities.net/image/autumn-colors-at-grosser-ahornboden>

              That's my first zoom lens since a Tokina I had more than 25 years ago.
              Great lens but no fisheye...

              BTW Nikon's technical guide for the 800e
              <http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf>
              has some lens recommendations on page 16.

              Carl

              Posted by: "montana_jimbo" on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 pm ((PDT))

              > Hi,
              > I'd like to get a Nikon 16mm 2.8 fisheye lens..Noticed on previous
              > posts that it seemed to fair well or so I thought.. I have a couple
              > ways to go.. The older AIS lens (manual or one of the later auto
              > focus versions).. I'll shoot an 800e so I'm after someting that will
              > work with it along with lesser MP rigs.. I only want to do this once
              > so I'd appreciate any guidance available.
            • Robert C. Fisher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 17, 2012
                Nice John, Nice detail. Did you have any issues with more? Also have you compared the 800e against the 800 with the OLPF?

                On Jun 17, 2012, at 5:30 AM, john law wrote:

                Hi Jimbo

                I use the 800e & 16mm af, see these tests:

                6 round +Z on a 360p 'adjuste' works well!

                hope this helps

                JL

                John Law ARPS
                JL Panoramas
                www.john-law.org.uk
                mail@...
                t:   01225 339590
                m: 07814 993904

                Cheers
                Robert C. Fisher
                VR Photography / Cinematography
                Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

              • luca vascon
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 18, 2012

                  You would'love that monster even better on a ff sensor!
                  :-) see you soon my friend!

                  sent through my Android  mobile

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 18, 2012
                    See you in Den Haag! :-)
                    Carl

                    Posted by: "luca vascon" officine_panottiche on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 am
                    ((PDT))

                    > You would'love that monster even better on a ff sensor!
                    > :-) see you soon my friend!
                    >
                    > Il giorno 17/giu/2012 15:01, "Carl von Einem" <einem@...> ha scritto:
                    >> >
                    >> > for this panorama I used the 14-24mm 2.8 AF-S Nikkor at 16mm on my D300
                    >> > using a 360Precision Adjuste:
                    >> > <http://www.360cities.net/image/autumn-colors-at-grosser-ahornboden>
                  • Wheaton, Simon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 22, 2012
                      Looks good.

                      D800E so tempting.

                      What pano pixel dimensions do you end up with in this combination?

                      I will probably try to find the best rectilinear in 20-24mm range for panos with the D800E.

                      Thanks,
                      Simon
                      Canberra
                      AUSTRALIA

                      I use the 800e & 16mm af, see these tests:

                      6 round +Z on a 360p 'adjuste' works well!

                      hope this helps

                      JL

                      John Law ARPS
                      JL Panoramas
                      www.john-law.org.uk
                      mail@...
                      t:   01225 339590
                      m: 07814 993904

                      CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
                      Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
                      http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/