RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Nikkor 18-105 3.5-5.6G ED entrance pupil measurements

  • Ingemar Skarpås
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 2012

      Hi Uri,

      Thanks for your replies – much appreciated!

      About “the very best”/”the next best” I used that as an over(?)-simplistic way of dealing with things like better lenses have no vignette, and that zoom lenses perhaps loose a little compared to fixed ones. But, also – Of course a pricier lens with better multi-coating would perform better.

      Well, I might consider “publishing” any future panoramas  I make on my web, but mainly I think prints will be made – I have an A3 Brother MFC-6490CW – that prints beautifully from my standard photos. I use a 42 km radio-link type of internet connection which only allows for circa 100 kbps upstream and 400-600 kbps downstream, so there will not be any high quality panoramas uploaded – it would take forever – and “disable” all other internet use meanwhile…

      Yesterday I was in town, 135km/80+ miles away. The town is not big, and only 1 out of three photo shops had an a wide angle lens (other than my 18-105 Nikkor) – That was a Tokina 11-16mm f1:2.8. I see that it has got good reviews on the web, but in the bad lighting inside the shop it showed some kind of fuzziness/darkness in all corners. It was tested on a D7000. So, I hesitate. I will probably wait until I can go to a shop where they can get outside with me to an open place where I could estimate the performance for use with panoramas. If anybody will verify that it is a good option for panoramas – let me know.

      Regarding taking the shoots. So far only done with the 40mm Nikkor Micro - Yes I did all that except for HDR. In my case I tested both fixed focus at infinity and two series steps down to approx. 100 m/330 feet and with fixed f16 and f22 (Nikon’s A setting), ISO 100 and 400 series - only “variable” was speed  which was for ISO 100 between 1/8 and 1/50, and remote control with mirror lifted or live view.

      I will include HDR in my next tests! I will use the 18-105 at 18mm just to minimize the number of photos and concentrate on HDR.

      Yes, there are many software tools listed in the wiki, and I will try to learn and understand their usefulness.

      In the coming days there will be real nice weather for photo, and I have one place which I from an artistic point of view know will make a fantastic panorama – given the photographer is up to it. So, I’ll be out and about. There will be days when it will be nicer to sit at home at the computers trying to get all things together and have a “show case”.

      Again, Thanks for your replies!

      IngemarS