Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: new iPad

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 4, 2012
      This example is an early test from development and does NOT work on iPad1 but works fine on both iPad2 and 3 and iPhone3 4 and 4s.

      "The downsizing is an IOS/Safari thing which no player has control over."
      The automatic downsizing is real... I already stated that, but it does NOT affect images we display in our player.  Anyone with the compatible hardware, can check for themselves.  You should be able to view the pano by using the OS iPad simulator.
      Use the debug console:
      Settings>Safari>Advanced>Enable Debug Console
      There you can also check and confirm the size to be 2289x2289 and not some down-scaled 1145x1145 pixels

      The example is a panorama using 2289x2289 cubefaces.  It can only be viewed in the above mentioned hardware, and support for Safari viewing has not been enabled.

      As to viewing your links, no, I did not check them, but I know you are right about what you say.  Difference is that our player is not the player you are using, and even though every other player will downsize images bigger than 1448x1448, ours won't.  I know that it has been claimed that the 1448 limit is something that is not possible to get past, but that is just plain wrong.

      If someone would be kind enough to make an iOS pano with 2289x2289 sized cubefaces (preferably with quite good and sharp images) upload it and allow me to use the same images for comparing the final quality, it would help to show the visual difference on the same images.  I do not have other player software that can display those images for iOS... therefore asking this.

      Trausti

      On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

      > Sorry Hans, but you are only right about the automatic down-scaling
      > happening in the current available players.
      >
      > In our iOS player we can feed 2289x2289 pixel cubefaces, and these are
      > indeed displayed in that size, without any automatic down-scaling taking
      > place.
      >
      > The 1448x1448 limit is real enough, but not on our player.
      >
      > You can see for yourself here: http://goo.gl/pN68n

      Did you even look at my links.
      Are they displayed in any player?

      No they are just simple images linked and shown in Safari.

      The downsizing is an IOS/Safari thing which no player has control over.

      Your link crashes as soon as it is loaded on iPad. What should it actually show,
      It does not load a panorama on desktop Safari either.

      I only see a static image.

      Hans

      > Trausti
      >

      > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord
      > > <trausti.hraunfjord@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It can use 2289x2289 pixel cubefaces, same as iPad2 and iPhone3 and 4.
      > > >
      > > > That is what our in-development iOS player uses (150% more pixels than
      > > > other existing iOS panorama players do handle). Clearly that is too much
      > > > for early versions of iDevices, but evolution doesn't mean one should
      > > stop
      > > > at the minimum capabilities.
      > >
      > > IOS 5.1 and later has a limit of 1448 pixels. Before 5.1 the limit was 1414
      > > This goes for all images loaded in it.
      > >
      > > If you load 1449 pixels it will be automatically by downsized to half size
      > > by the iOS.
      > >
      > > This is nothing you see when you load them unless you start doing real
      > > resolution tests.
      > >
      > > It may be possible to load larger images without this automatic down scale
      > > on iPad 3 but not on iPad1 and 2.
      > >
      > > Hans
      > >
      > > > Trausti

      > > you
      > > levelstep

      > > 2048.

      > > max

      > > do it

      > > actually

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 12, 2012
        For iOS 6, the limit for downsampling the images has been lifted from 2 MB to 5 MB.... or rather upped to the 2289x2289 pixels that were possible by using progressively saved images.

        Support for iPad1 has been dropped by Apple, and that does of course justify everyone else to ignore that piece of equipment.  2 years of official lifetime before it is dumped... not much, but understandable.

        Trausti