Re: new iPad

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 4, 2012

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It can use 2289x2289 pixel cubefaces, same as iPad2 and iPhone3 and 4.
      > >
      > > That is what our in-development iOS player uses (150% more pixels than
      > > other existing iOS panorama players do handle). Clearly that is too much
      > > for early versions of iDevices, but evolution doesn't mean one should stop
      > > at the minimum capabilities.
      >

      > IOS 5.1 and later has a limit of 1448 pixels. Before 5.1 the limit was 1414
      > This goes for all images loaded in it.
      >
      > If you load 1449 pixels it will be automatically by downsized to half size by the iOS.
      >
      > This is nothing you see when you load them unless you start doing real resolution tests.
      >
      > It may be possible to load larger images without this automatic down scale on iPad 3 but not on iPad1 and 2.

      Here is a simple test that proves it.

      Here is a 1448x1448 pixels image.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/ipad1450/1448.jpg

      And here is the same image in 1450 x1450
      http://www.panoramas.dk/ipad1450/1450.jpg

      I have not tested this on an iPad 3 but on iPad 1 and 2 you will see that the 1450 image is very unsharp because it is actually downsized to half size but displayed at 1450.

      Hans

      > Hans
      >

      > > Trausti
      > >

      > > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:13 AM, prague <panoramas@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Hi Hans,
      > > >
      > > > you say below that the ipad3 can use 2048size cubefaces? I thought it
      > > > could use only ~1300 size cube faces?

      > > > "Multitires"?

      > > > can skip the mobile and tablet images and make multiresolution with 512
      > > > pixels tiles and set the max cube size to a multiple of that with levelstep
      > > > 2

      > > > will use max 1024 and desktop and Android will be able to use up to 2048.

      > > > and it works perfect on my Android mobile.

      > > > settings for devices and the new special settings for iPad 3 you can do it
      > > > in another way also and get iPad 3 to use the 2048 pixels cubeface.

      > > > works
      > > > keep them

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 12, 2012
        For iOS 6, the limit for downsampling the images has been lifted from 2 MB to 5 MB.... or rather upped to the 2289x2289 pixels that were possible by using progressively saved images.

        Support for iPad1 has been dropped by Apple, and that does of course justify everyone else to ignore that piece of equipment.  2 years of official lifetime before it is dumped... not much, but understandable.

        Trausti