Re: Survey about video stitching tool

  • Henri Smeets
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
      luca vascon-3 wrote

      > My primary question is...
      > WHO buys something like that?
      > We have a lot of difficulties, but they are all in the marketing area!!
      > :-D
      > Here is one example of what we can do
      > http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Cultura/2012/04/19/pop_navigabile.shtml
      > Italians are really afraid from novelties

      I share your concern Luca, specially considering the amount of time such a
      production takes makes it very expensive to start with.

      But possibly even more important is what 'we' panographers will do with the
      technique! There are more and more examples to be found around the web but
      few actually convince me that this is the right technique for the subject
      shown.

      The Haïti drive-through was a good example of actuality
      Your Venice example is very well done but I'm not sure if this or a high-res
      photo pano and a green-screen actor layer would be better!

      Some video clips are nice and speedy but still I cannot excape the feeling
      that I'm missing something because I may be looking the wrong way.

      I guess it will take some genius director and/or storyteller to actually
      make a good production of 360 degree video.

      I guess time will tell but the availability of the right tools will surely
      speed up the process.

    • panometr
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
        Nicolas,

        I support your idea of creating such software for stitching video files. There are more and more cameras and people try to use 360-degree rigs of cameras but they don't want to spend much time on synchronizing and stitching videos frame by frame. They need this software.

        Please have a look to my recent project:
        http://www.themiloshcompass.com

        It includes 52 video panoramas that were created using a 360-degree rig and there was no time to stitch videos correctly.
        What do you think about this project?

        Good luck, Nicolas.

        Karol Kwiatek
      • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
          Karol,

          I can´t see your site.

          Best regards from Mexico

          --
          L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
          felipe@...

        • Jesse Garnier
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
            Lost in translation:

            http://www.themiloszcompass.com/

            Cheers--

            --
            Jesse Garnier
            San Francisco, Calif.

            On 6/1/12 2:31 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

            > Karol,
            >
            > I can´t see your site.
            >
            > Best regards from Mexico
            >
            > 2012/6/1 panometr <k_kwiatek@... <mailto:k_kwiatek@...>>
            >
            > __
            >
            > Nicolas,
            >
            > I support your idea of creating such software for stitching video
            > files. There are more and more cameras and people try to use
            > 360-degree rigs of cameras but they don't want to spend much time on
            > synchronizing and stitching videos frame by frame. They need this
            > software.
            >
            > Please have a look to my recent project:
            > http://www.themiloshcompass.com
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012

              I am unable to see anything after clicking the links but a black screen.

              Best Regards,

              Sacha Griffin

              http://www.seeit360.com

              http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

              http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

              IM: sachagriffin007@...

              Office: 404-551-4275

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                  This is the correct link:
                  http://www.themiloszcompass.com/

                  What do you think about this project?

                  Karol Kwiatek, Poland

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

                  > Karol,
                  >
                  > I can´t see your site.
                  >
                  > Best regards from Mexico
                  >
                  > 2012/6/1 panometr <k_kwiatek@...>
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Nicolas,
                  > >
                  > > I support your idea of creating such software for stitching video files.
                  > > There are more and more cameras and people try to use 360-degree rigs of
                  > > cameras but they don't want to spend much time on synchronizing and
                  > > stitching videos frame by frame. They need this software.
                  > >
                  > > Please have a look to my recent project:
                  > > http://www.themiloshcompass.com
                  > >
                  > > It includes 52 video panoramas that were created using a 360-degree rig
                  > > and there was no time to stitch videos correctly.
                  > > What do you think about this project?
                  > >
                  > > Good luck, Nicolas.
                  > >
                  > > Karol Kwiatek
                  > >

                  > --
                  > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                  > felipe@...
                  > 1998-5246
                  > www.fpk.com.mx
                  > http://recorridosvirtuales.wordpress.com/<http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/>
                  >
                  > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                  > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                    On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM, panometr <k_kwiatek@...> wrote:
                    This is the correct link:
                    http://www.themiloszcompass.com/
                    What do you think about this project?
                    Karol Kwiatek, Poland

                    Karol
                    did you read what some friends already said ?

                    does not work !

                    only a black screen forever :-(

                    best

                     AYRTON

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

                    > Karol,
                    >
                    > I can´t see your site.
                    >
                    > Best regards from Mexico
                    >
                    > 2012/6/1 panometr <k_kwiatek@...>
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Nicolas,
                    > >
                    > > I support your idea of creating such software for stitching video files.
                    > > There are more and more cameras and people try to use 360-degree rigs of
                    > > cameras but they don't want to spend much time on synchronizing and
                    > > stitching videos frame by frame. They need this software.
                    > >
                    > > Please have a look to my recent project:
                    > > http://www.themiloshcompass.com
                    > >
                    > > It includes 52 video panoramas that were created using a 360-degree rig
                    > > and there was no time to stitch videos correctly.
                    > > What do you think about this project?
                    > >
                    > > Good luck, Nicolas.
                    > >
                    > > Karol Kwiatek
                    > >

                    > --
                    > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                    > felipe@...
                    > 1998-5246
                    > www.fpk.com.mx
                    > http://recorridosvirtuales.wordpress.com/<http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/>
                    >
                    > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                    > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Christian Bloch
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Ah, on the second attempt I got it.

                      They just take an unbelievable long time to load, about half an hour when you have a good broadband connection and choose Medium.

                      I'm not really sure what the project is about. Is it art?

                      Well, since you're asking about opinions, here are some thoughts:
                      - The seams are extremely obvious. I recommend exposure using exposure correction of the sectors.
                      - Videos should better be streaming.
                      - If you can't stream, I recommend shorter looping pieces to limit loading time.
                      - The mirror effect is too heavy and works against the feeling of immersion.
                      - Fonts on the site are very small. I can't read anything.
                      - I was waiting for something to happen, but the scene I tried was just a low resolution video where nothing moves. Would be more efficient to use a mashup-technique to combine static photos with moving inserts.
                      - Sound is extremely loud.
                      - The player hijacks my mouse pointer, but with a different sensitivity. It's very hard to click outside the browser.

                      Best,
                      Blochi

                    • nburtey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2012
                        > Please, share a ling of your company, works etc.

                        Hi Luca,

                        I'm not sure about the need to see my work for this survey, but here it is :

                        www.nicolasburtey.net
                        www.loop-in.com

                        Best regards,
                        Nicolas
                      • nburtey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2012
                          Hi Karol,

                          Same for me, the video does not load :-(

                          Maybe you could try krpano instead of Lucid ?

                          Regards,
                          Nicolas

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2012
                            Hi,

                            Thanks for your comments.
                            There is a problem with new version of Flash Player and Lucid Viewer.
                            Adobe released new Flash Player and there is a problem with playing FLV files. Jason Villmer, the author of Lucid Viewer, has not corrected this issue for many months. Updates for Lucid Viewer appear a few times a year. I agree that this is not the right software for such applications.

                            Could you please try this website with Flash 11.1?
                            www.themiloszcompass.com
                            I noticed that there are problems that you mentioned in Flash 11.2 and 11.3.
                            360films should start playing automatically when you choose a title of a poem from the menu.

                            Here are my answers to Blochi's questions:

                            > I'm not really sure what the project is about. Is it art?

                            Yes, art project.

                            > Well, since you're asking about opinions, here are some thoughts:
                            > - The seams are extremely obvious. I recommend exposure using exposure correction of the sectors.

                            I have not recorded 360videos, they were created by the artist from Paris. He has a 360rig of eight cameras. He did not intended to stitch videos because he was not aware of such software.
                            He could use it when Nicolas's software is available.

                            > - Videos should better be streaming.

                            Try playing in Flash 11.1, not in 11.2, 11.3, 11.4beta

                            > - If you can't stream, I recommend shorter looping pieces to limit loading time.

                            See above.

                            > - The mirror effect is too heavy and works against the feeling of immersion.

                            I disagree.

                            > - Fonts on the site are very small. I can't read anything.

                            That was the intention of the artist. My task was to do all the coding in XML.

                            > - I was waiting for something to happen, but the scene I tried was just a low resolution video where nothing moves. Would be more efficient to use a mashup-technique to combine static photos with moving inserts.

                            What is mashup-technique?

                            > - Sound is extremely loud.

                            Do other people also agree?

                            > - The player hijacks my mouse pointer, but with a different sensitivity. It's very hard to click outside the browser.

                            This is the issue of Flash 11.2, 11.3, 11.4. Try in 11.1 or lower.

                            I am waiting for further comments.

                            Karol Kwiatek
                          • panovrx
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2012
                              Ryubin's video player is pretty good I think -- and it has lots and lots of input format options
                              http://www.ryubin.com/panolab/panoflash/download.html
                              ... the main drawback is like some other video pano players you have to wait til the movie is all downloaded before it becomes smooth but the image quality and navigation smoothness then is very good I think .. a timelapse video panorama of mine with it
                              http://www.mediavr.com/ch364/ch360d.htm

                              btw re video panoramas with CanonDSLRs -- there is a feature in more recent versions of Magic Lantern firmware so alternate video frames can be at different ISOs. eg. 100ISO/800ISO. So the movie flickers light/dark. There is software and workflows to extract the light/dark movies and warp align them to mitigate the time gap (1/30th or 1/60th sec) between the movies. So you can make HDR videos -- good for panoramic video contrast problems you would think.

                              PeterM

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panometr" <k_kwiatek@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > Thanks for your comments.
                              > There is a problem with new version of Flash Player and Lucid Viewer.
                              > Adobe released new Flash Player and there is a problem with playing FLV files. Jason Villmer, the author of Lucid Viewer, has not corrected this issue for many months. Updates for Lucid Viewer appear a few times a year. I agree that this is not the right software for such applications.
                              >
                              > Could you please try this website with Flash 11.1?
                              > www.themiloszcompass.com
                              > I noticed that there are problems that you mentioned in Flash 11.2 and 11.3.
                              > 360films should start playing automatically when you choose a title of a poem from the menu.
                              >
                              > Here are my answers to Blochi's questions:
                              >

                              > > I'm not really sure what the project is about. Is it art?
                              >
                              > Yes, art project.
                              >

                              > > Well, since you're asking about opinions, here are some thoughts:
                              > > - The seams are extremely obvious. I recommend exposure using exposure correction of the sectors.
                              >
                              > I have not recorded 360videos, they were created by the artist from Paris. He has a 360rig of eight cameras. He did not intended to stitch videos because he was not aware of such software.
                              > He could use it when Nicolas's software is available.
                              >
                              > > - Videos should better be streaming.
                              >
                              > Try playing in Flash 11.1, not in 11.2, 11.3, 11.4beta
                              >
                              > > - If you can't stream, I recommend shorter looping pieces to limit loading time.
                              >
                              > See above.
                              >
                              > > - The mirror effect is too heavy and works against the feeling of immersion.
                              >
                              > I disagree.
                              >
                              > > - Fonts on the site are very small. I can't read anything.
                              >
                              > That was the intention of the artist. My task was to do all the coding in XML.
                              >
                              > > - I was waiting for something to happen, but the scene I tried was just a low resolution video where nothing moves. Would be more efficient to use a mashup-technique to combine static photos with moving inserts.
                              >
                              > What is mashup-technique?
                              >
                              > > - Sound is extremely loud.
                              >
                              > Do other people also agree?
                              >
                              > > - The player hijacks my mouse pointer, but with a different sensitivity. It's very hard to click outside the browser.
                              >
                              > This is the issue of Flash 11.2, 11.3, 11.4. Try in 11.1 or lower.
                              >
                              > I am waiting for further comments.
                              >
                              > Karol Kwiatek

                            • prague
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2012
                                Nicolas,.

                                That is one hell of a portfolio you have got. It looks like you are very busy shooting great projects. Congratulations on your continuing success. Really, wow :)

                                Jeffrey