Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , May 30, 2012
      Hi, Luca!

      On May 30, 2012, at 11:23 PM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

      Roger, my friend!
      I also had the same problem with my 8mm Samyang. They really do have problems in quality control.

      Yes, I was really looking forward to using it. And the reaction of the salesperson was rather daunting. Of course that may  just have been reflecting the general Japanese tendency to look down on Korean products as imitative and substandard. They forget that Japan was seen the same way 50 or 60 years ago!

      Nonetheless the 7.5 for micro 4/3 is even better than the sharp and costy Panasonic AF one!!
      A pity that gray paint is coming off after few month of (ab)use   :-)

      Yes, I have heard that it's a great lens. I considered getting a NEX and using one with it, but I just couldn't get to like the NEX family. Too far away from my lifelong experience of manual cameras. And then you need to make mechanical adaptions to get the lens to work on them, and that is quite beyond me.

      For sure YOU like odd cameras and stuff uh?

      Yep. And the K-01 is certainly that!

      Me too.

      Well, I am hooked on having fun, which explains a lot about my oddities.

      But that Pentax k01 did appeal me even less than a Leica M9 (that was my Less Appealing Currently Produced Camera, till last year) for its price, bulkiness, bad desing (I'm a designer, after all).

      Hmmm. Well, I can agree that it's less appealing than a Leica M9, but it does have its merits. For instance it shares the excellent Pentax arrangement of functions and controls. And it looks and feels a lot more like a manual camera than most others. I had to buy a YELLOW one, it was the only colour they had left at the special  "outlet" price I paid. It is a great conversation starter!

      I see that after the beautyful K5 they are doing an ugly (yet very interesting) K3

      Ah, is that what we call the K-30? I agree that the K-5 is one beautiful little camera. I had to settle for the K-x, which is an astonishing little gem, because of budget limitations. But after using it for over a year I have sold my Nikon D300 and (rather more reluctantly) my Fujifilm S5 and all their lenses. Now I can use my excellent Pentax lenses on two cameras--one ideal for panoramas, the K-01, and the other good for snaps, the K-x. A light and flexible combination that just about meets all my needs.

      Right now I'd choose Nikon D3200 with a 10.5 Nikkor, or a small, pricewise Panasonic GF2 with 7.5mm Samyang.
      Hacking the lens, the same 7.5mm and a Sony Nex5n body for pole 4-shots panos

      Yes, if I was confident of hacking a lens I might have gone that way but I am mechanically challenged. Seriously!

      Roger W.

      2012/5/30 Roger D. Williams <roger@...>
      > On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
      > <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
      >> the
      >> moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
      >> remove
      >> my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
      >> into
      >> perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
      >> slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
      >> having
      >> a tripod you can reconfigure.  Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
      >> spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
      >> cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
      >> a reshoot.

      A nadir adapter will shortly be on its way to me! I ordered one
      immediately.
      It looks as if you have to reposition the tripod to get the camera exactly
      over the nadir spot (which is OK, my camera has an "x marks the spot"
      marker for the precise center of the image). It could hardly be otherwise,
      of course.

      All I have to do is put a marker on ground zero. Something that won't blow
      away... Unfortunately, although my wife is usually with me when I am
      taking panoramas, she is unlikely to provide the necessary floating finger
      to mark the spot. Long story... <sad smile>

      I think it's lucky that my K-01 plus the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye is a
      fairly light combination, as my tripod is definitely unstable with any
      unbalanced weight at the top, having been assembled for use with a monopod
      that relied on me holding it vertical. (sigh)

      Roger W.

      One nice thing about using the Pentax zoom fisheye at 10mm rather than the
      Peleng at 8mm is that I get higher definition panoramas. About 14,000 by
      7,000 rather than 8,000 x 4,000. Oh, but that was on the 12Mpx K-x camera.
      The K-01 has 16Mpx. Hmmm. Anyway, the panos are nice and sharp, which
      was far from the case with the Samyang.
      Panorama: Rogerama on photosynth.net

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Luca Vascon.

    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
        :-)
        The best thing would be the compactness of my Panasonic GF2 with the 24MP sensor of the NEX7.
        I had the K01 in my hands... everything eas out of reach! :-(

        Yellow is the only color that more or less fits the k01... but three colors, and that one calls himself a designer!!
        I asked Nikon Italy if they woyld make for me a PINK D800E branded Sanrio - HelloKitty.
        If you do think I'm joking look at my actual personal camera:

        I've seen a YELLOW KX in the hands of a japanese man here in Venice, he was wearing a plain yellow Tshirt, blue jeans, and sport shoes.
        Despite being a camera collector, and an old-school photographer, I LOVE white or colorful cameras, like today's costume.

      • Trausti Hraunfjord

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
            :-)
            yesssss...
            but now I've a pink hellokitty heart shaped pendant and a WII bracelet strap attached.
            my camera is gay and punk.
            :-D