Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , May 28 4:47 PM
      That's interesting, Pedro. I am also grateful for the link to the English manual. I got the Japanese one of course! And although I made my living for years translating Japanese instruction manuals into English, it is not exactly my idea of fun. Much easier and faster to find what I want in English!

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , May 29 8:30 PM
        Ran into an interesting "Gotcha" trying to use the perspective change
        tool for filling a nadir today. I was taking a panorama indoors where
        I could be sure there were lots of close-by details to reveal and
        slight parallax problems.

        I knew the control points had to be on a flat horizontal plane for
        this to work properly, but I hadn't figured on the effect of my wife's
        pride and joy, our highly polished wooden floors! The perspective of
        the nadir-inset reflections is all wrong, so I have to go back to
        MAJOR cloning as I am now using the Pentax 10-17mm zoom at 10mm, and
        although I pointed it down 15 degrees that is still one LARGE hole to
        fill! Ouch!

        Roger

        Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 16 , May 29 8:38 PM
          Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At the
          moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger, remove
          my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back into
          perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
          slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and having
          a tripod you can reconfigure. Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
          spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
          cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing a
          reshoot.

          Best Regards,

          Sacha Griffin
          http://www.seeit360.com
          http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
          http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
          IM: sachagriffin007@...
          Office: 404-551-4275

          Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

          ------------------------------------

          --
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 16 , May 29 9:38 PM
            On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
            <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

            > Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
            > the
            > moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
            > remove
            > my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
            > into
            > perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
            > slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
            > having
            > a tripod you can reconfigure. Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
            > spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
            > cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
            > a reshoot.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Sacha Griffin

            Sacha, I wonder why I have never heard of a nadir adapter for the ninja
            series, or swiveling it out? Or maybe I HAVE heard and it's Alzheimer
            at work again (God forbid!).

            Sounds just like what I want, now I'm being forcibly weaned from my
            best-loved "four-around on a monopod" workflow. Will search the Ninja
            site as soon as this mail goes off.

            Roger W.

            Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , May 29 10:38 PM
              > On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
              > <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
              >> the
              >> moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
              >> remove
              >> my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
              >> into
              >> perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
              >> slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
              >> having
              >> a tripod you can reconfigure. Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
              >> spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
              >> cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
              >> a reshoot.

              A nadir adapter will shortly be on its way to me! I ordered one
              immediately.
              It looks as if you have to reposition the tripod to get the camera exactly
              over the nadir spot (which is OK, my camera has an "x marks the spot"
              marker for the precise center of the image). It could hardly be otherwise,
              of course.

              All I have to do is put a marker on ground zero. Something that won't blow
              away... Unfortunately, although my wife is usually with me when I am
              taking panoramas, she is unlikely to provide the necessary floating finger
              to mark the spot. Long story... <sad smile>

              I think it's lucky that my K-01 plus the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye is a
              fairly light combination, as my tripod is definitely unstable with any
              unbalanced weight at the top, having been assembled for use with a monopod
              that relied on me holding it vertical. (sigh)

              Roger W.

              One nice thing about using the Pentax zoom fisheye at 10mm rather than the
              Peleng at 8mm is that I get higher definition panoramas. About 14,000 by
              7,000 rather than 8,000 x 4,000. Oh, but that was on the 12Mpx K-x camera.
              The K-01 has 16Mpx. Hmmm. Anyway, the panos are nice and sharp, which
              was far from the case with the Samyang.

              --
              Business: www.adex-japan.com
              Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              Panorama: Rogerama on photosynth.net
            • luca vascon
              Message 6 of 16 , May 30 7:23 AM
                Roger, my friend!
                I also had the same problem with my 8mm Samyang. They really do have problems in quality control.
                Nonetheless the 7.5 for micro 4/3 is even better than the sharp and costy Panasonic AF one!!
                A pity that gray paint is coming off after few month of (ab)use   :-)
                For sure YOU like odd cameras and stuff uh?
                Me too.
                But that Pentax k01 did appeal me even less than a Leica M9 (that was my Less Appealing Currently Produced Camera, till last year) for its price, bulkiness, bad desing (I'm a designer, after all).
                I see that after the beautyful K5 they are doing an ugly (yet very interesting) K3
                Right now I'd choose Nikon D3200 with a 10.5 Nikkor, or a small, pricewise Panasonic GF2 with 7.5mm Samyang.
                Hacking the lens, the same 7.5mm and a Sony Nex5n body for pole 4-shots panos

                2012/5/30 Roger D. Williams <roger@...>
                > On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
                > <sachagriffin@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
                >> the
                >> moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
                >> remove
                >> my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
                >> into
                >> perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
                >> slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
                >> having
                >> a tripod you can reconfigure.  Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
                >> spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
                >> cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
                >> a reshoot.

                A nadir adapter will shortly be on its way to me! I ordered one
                immediately.
                It looks as if you have to reposition the tripod to get the camera exactly
                over the nadir spot (which is OK, my camera has an "x marks the spot"
                marker for the precise center of the image). It could hardly be otherwise,
                of course.

                All I have to do is put a marker on ground zero. Something that won't blow
                away... Unfortunately, although my wife is usually with me when I am
                taking panoramas, she is unlikely to provide the necessary floating finger
                to mark the spot. Long story... <sad smile>

                I think it's lucky that my K-01 plus the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye is a
                fairly light combination, as my tripod is definitely unstable with any
                unbalanced weight at the top, having been assembled for use with a monopod
                that relied on me holding it vertical. (sigh)

                Roger W.

                One nice thing about using the Pentax zoom fisheye at 10mm rather than the
                Peleng at 8mm is that I get higher definition panoramas. About 14,000 by
                7,000 rather than 8,000 x 4,000. Oh, but that was on the 12Mpx K-x camera.
                The K-01 has 16Mpx. Hmmm. Anyway, the panos are nice and sharp, which
                was far from the case with the Samyang.
                Panorama: Rogerama on photosynth.net

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Luca Vascon.

              • Roger D Williams
                Message 7 of 16 , May 30 4:29 PM
                  Hi, Luca!

                  On May 30, 2012, at 11:23 PM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                  Roger, my friend!
                  I also had the same problem with my 8mm Samyang. They really do have problems in quality control.

                  Yes, I was really looking forward to using it. And the reaction of the salesperson was rather daunting. Of course that may  just have been reflecting the general Japanese tendency to look down on Korean products as imitative and substandard. They forget that Japan was seen the same way 50 or 60 years ago!

                  Nonetheless the 7.5 for micro 4/3 is even better than the sharp and costy Panasonic AF one!!
                  A pity that gray paint is coming off after few month of (ab)use   :-)

                  Yes, I have heard that it's a great lens. I considered getting a NEX and using one with it, but I just couldn't get to like the NEX family. Too far away from my lifelong experience of manual cameras. And then you need to make mechanical adaptions to get the lens to work on them, and that is quite beyond me.

                  For sure YOU like odd cameras and stuff uh?

                  Yep. And the K-01 is certainly that!

                  Me too.

                  Well, I am hooked on having fun, which explains a lot about my oddities.

                  But that Pentax k01 did appeal me even less than a Leica M9 (that was my Less Appealing Currently Produced Camera, till last year) for its price, bulkiness, bad desing (I'm a designer, after all).

                  Hmmm. Well, I can agree that it's less appealing than a Leica M9, but it does have its merits. For instance it shares the excellent Pentax arrangement of functions and controls. And it looks and feels a lot more like a manual camera than most others. I had to buy a YELLOW one, it was the only colour they had left at the special  "outlet" price I paid. It is a great conversation starter!

                  I see that after the beautyful K5 they are doing an ugly (yet very interesting) K3

                  Ah, is that what we call the K-30? I agree that the K-5 is one beautiful little camera. I had to settle for the K-x, which is an astonishing little gem, because of budget limitations. But after using it for over a year I have sold my Nikon D300 and (rather more reluctantly) my Fujifilm S5 and all their lenses. Now I can use my excellent Pentax lenses on two cameras--one ideal for panoramas, the K-01, and the other good for snaps, the K-x. A light and flexible combination that just about meets all my needs.

                  Right now I'd choose Nikon D3200 with a 10.5 Nikkor, or a small, pricewise Panasonic GF2 with 7.5mm Samyang.
                  Hacking the lens, the same 7.5mm and a Sony Nex5n body for pole 4-shots panos

                  Yes, if I was confident of hacking a lens I might have gone that way but I am mechanically challenged. Seriously!

                  Roger W.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                    :-)
                    The best thing would be the compactness of my Panasonic GF2 with the 24MP sensor of the NEX7.
                    I had the K01 in my hands... everything eas out of reach! :-(

                    Yellow is the only color that more or less fits the k01... but three colors, and that one calls himself a designer!!
                    I asked Nikon Italy if they woyld make for me a PINK D800E branded Sanrio - HelloKitty.
                    If you do think I'm joking look at my actual personal camera:

                    I've seen a YELLOW KX in the hands of a japanese man here in Venice, he was wearing a plain yellow Tshirt, blue jeans, and sport shoes.
                    Despite being a camera collector, and an old-school photographer, I LOVE white or colorful cameras, like today's costume.

                  • Trausti Hraunfjord

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                        :-)
                        yesssss...
                        but now I've a pink hellokitty heart shaped pendant and a WII bracelet strap attached.
                        my camera is gay and punk.
                        :-D