New Virtual Tour(s) of Smithsonian

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26 9:03 AM
      Hello,

      I just finished a project for the Smithsonian's National Postal Museum that you might like (or can give guidance on improving it!). The first two links are different entry points into the same tour that originate from separate exhibits. The third is the mobile version of the tour so use a smartphone or tablet to view it (though a desktop check will still work).

      http://npm.si.edu/fireandice/virtualtour.html

      http://npm.si.edu/systemsatwork/virtualtour.html

      http://npm.si.edu/mobile

      The previous tour that I built for them was done using Tourweaver. This one is based on Krpano. It was a bit of a learning curve to put it all together by hand, but once I got the workflow and automation down it got easier. I actually prefer the scripted, do it yourself coding now. It is much more flexible, scalable and reusable.

      I have another tour for the Smithsonian that should go live in a week or so. It is of the Natural History Museum. You can access the draft on my "website" (I never finish the web site, so please ignore its current state. It's pretty pathetic!). I'm on the cheapest hosting provider plan you can get, so the speed won't be nearly what it will be on the Smithsonian server.

      http://www.visualconstruction.com/SI-NMNH-VT/1-desktop/000.html

      This second tour is much larger and has hundreds of embedded images throughout (look for camera icons). I've got some color corrections to do and other tweaks, but it is mostly finished. The panoramas range in size from mostly 10000x5000 pixels (D200/10.5 lens), with a handful of larger 15000x7500 ones (D700/14-24 lens), and then two big ones at 30000x15000 (D700/24-70 lens). The latter ones are in the minerals exhibit (#1 & #2).

      I'd love to hear what you think about it, or suggestions to improve it. I plan on adding an information button that brings up searching functionality. The next phase of the project is teaching Smithsonian staff how to add supplementary information to the existing embeds and then build on the tour.

      It is very similar to Google Art Project, so I am very curious to hear what they think about it.

      R,

      Loren
    • Greg Voisan