Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 7 To GO [nyc2012]

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 21 , May 26, 2012
      Bill  don't underestimate Brazil.... they have a lot of inhabitants  192 Mio.  on 3.2 Mio sq mi.    ( USA 313Mio on 3.2 Mio sq mi)

      Willy

      On May 26, 2012, at 15:20, Bill Bailey wrote:

      Can't believe 11 people from Brazil are coming. Even B&H Photo has site for
      Brazil. The Brazilians are taking over.
      Maybe one year we might see IVRPA conference in Rio :-)

      Cheers
      Bill

      -----
      Bill Bailey L.L.C. dba Nodal Ninja
      Exclusive Distributor Fanotec Products and Leica GS Laser Scanner Adapters
      www.nodalninja.com
      "turning heads and expanding horizons"

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 21 , May 26, 2012
        Don't underestimate Brazil. It is a huge country with cities hi developed. It is the sixth World economy and with almost 200 million population, app. like United Kingdom + Germany + France. And what is very important in a time of recession ... Brazil is the World fastest growing economy. The most important Wold event is going to held there in 2014, not by coincidence... ;)

        Bostjan

        Message 3 of 21 , May 26, 2012
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bailey <bill@...> wrote:
          > The Brazilians are taking over.
          says he, whose business partner is from...?
          ;-)
          pedro
        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 21 , May 26, 2012
            On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

            Don't underestimate Brazil. It is a huge country with cities hi developed. It is the sixth World economy and with almost 200 million population, app. like United Kingdom + Germany + France. And what is very important in a time of recession ... Brazil is the World fastest growing economy. The most important Wold event is going to held there in 2014, not by coincidence... ;)

            2014 the World Cup in Brazil ...

            and don't forget :

            in 2016
            The Olympic Games
            in MY town, Rio de Janeiro
            :-)

            cheers from sunny Rio
            AYRTON

            Bostjan

            Message 5 of 21 , May 26, 2012
              Yeahhhhhhh

              my dear friend Bill

              we got 11 to come this time
              and
              Most of them are "close friends" :-)

              I dare to say 73% :-)

              Let's go on

              cheers

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              http://ayrton360.com
              twitter.com/ayrton360

              "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

              On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Bill Bailey <bill@...> wrote:
              Can't believe 11 people from Brazil are coming. Even B&H Photo has site for
              Brazil. The Brazilians are taking over.
              Maybe one year we might see IVRPA conference in Rio :-)

              Cheers
              Bill

              -----
              Bill Bailey L.L.C. dba Nodal Ninja
              Exclusive Distributor Fanotec Products and Leica GS Laser Scanner Adapters
              www.nodalninja.com
              "turning heads and expanding horizons"

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Bill Bailey
              Message 6 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                pedro_silva58 wrote

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@, Bill Bailey <bill@...> wrote:
                >> The Brazilians are taking over.
                > says he, whose business partner is from...?
                > ;-)
                > pedro

                mmmm - Brazil !!
                we'll miss you not being there :-(

                -----

                Message 7 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                  for several reasons, i do wish i could go, but i can't :-(
                  if i could, i'd surely take a bottle of wine... or three ;-)
                  cheers,
                  pedro

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bailey <bill@...> wrote:
                  > pedro_silva58 wrote
                  > we'll miss you not being there :-(
                  >
                  > -----
                  > Bill Bailey L.L.C. dba Nodal Ninja
                  > Exclusive Distributor Fanotec Products and Leica GS Laser Scanner Adapters
                  > www.nodalninja.com
                  > "turning heads and expanding horizons"
                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                    I would have loved to be able to go, same for Palmela 2011 and Tucson 2010, but I have been put in a situation that makes it completely impossible.

                    In 2009 I lost my passport during a trip to the Amazon jungle, and upon returning to the capital I went to the Icelandic consular office, only to be told that it is no longer possible to renew or replace a passport through the consular service any more.  I will have to go to Iceland or one of the 7 Icelandic embassies (5 in Europe, one in the US and one in China) where they are equipped with the proper machines to receive passport applications.
                    My problem is that I can impossibly travel to any of these embassies or to Iceland without having.... a valid passport.  Having lost mine, ensures that I will not be going anywhere any time soon (or ever).  I have brought this issue up with all members of the Icelandic parliament, issued a formal complaint to the Ombudsman for the Icelandic parliament, who rubber stamped the actions of the system as "ok", disregarding the fact that my freedom of movement has been removed without a backing by the law, and in a complete violation of the human rights conventions (both the UN and European human rights, to which Iceland is a party).

                    I will have to sue Iceland and the responsible ministers and institutional leaders for breaking my human rights (actually there are 12 different conventions they have broken on me by their evil doings)... but before I can do that, I have to pursue the matter through the Icelandic judicial system, and by living down in Peru, I am not well equipped to show up in court in Iceland and present my case, plus, I need to apply for this process through the minister of justice and human rights in Iceland, and he is incidentally one of those whom I will be charging with human rights violations (personally)... so I am really in a blind alley for the time being.  If I request for this matter to be taken up in the human rights commission without having exhausted all possible legal venues in Iceland, the case will be dismissed before it ever gets anywhere.  3 years have passed by now, and no solution in sight.

                    Not the simplest of problems to run into, and this is thanks to an agreement Iceland was "forced" to make with some European body... in order to make travel "more safe"... while the same requirements are not forced upon European nationals.

                    Well... this is my bullet-proof reason for not being able to attend any meeting outside Peru.  I do however wish everyone all the best of experience during the gathering, and will be looking forward to the stories that will come from there.

                    Trausti
                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                      Ask for a temporary travel document.

                      I'm sure you can prove citizenship. If you've lost all your Icelandic proof of identity you may have some trouble.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

                    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                        Trausti, can tou apply for a double nationality? Just asking.

                        --
                        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                        felipe@...

                      • Willy Kaemena
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                          Sacha here is the problem:    "Icelandic nationals who wish to apply for a new passport must do so in person at the Embassy. Passports are issued in Iceland and the estimated processing time is approximately 10 working days.
                          Please note that consuls can no longer receive applications for new passports. However, they can extend passports and issue provisional and emergency passports."
                          = no way to do it IN Peru

                          Willy

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                            So Iceland just loses x number of citizens each year as they get stuck in random countries?? That doesn't seem right.

                            Sacha Griffin
                            Office: 404-551-4275

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                              Correct Willy.

                              The emergency passport, is one that is NOT internationally accepted as a valid official document, entirely hand-written with nothing for computers to read from.  I was told by the foreign minstry's public service department, that should I decide to try and travel to Iceland on an emergency passport, I should not show it to anyone unless absolutely necessary, and I should be aware that it could get me into problems (arrest for trying to travel on fraudulent papers).  I will not try any such thing. Being here in South America is great, but they do get serious about official papers, and if they sense there to be anything wrong, there is a need for huge bribes... or jail time.  And who want's to spend ANY amount of time in a South American jail?  Not me for sure!

                              This is not a situation I would wish upon anyone except the very people who have created this situation.  I would love for them to end up in a Thai prison and be forgotten in there forever.

                              Trausti

                              On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

[...]

                            • Ken Warner
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                                Try to get a visa to the U.S. It's supposedly very easy.

                                Failing that, just walk across the Mexican/American border like millions of others do. I'll meet you on the U.S. side and give you a ride to a train station or airport to get to the Iceland Embassy in Wash. D.C.

                                Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                                > I would have loved to be able to go, same for Palmela 2011 and Tucson 2010,
                                > but I have been put in a situation that makes it completely impossible.
                                >
                                > In 2009 I lost my passport during a trip to the Amazon jungle, and upon
                                > returning to the capital I went to the Icelandic consular office, only to
                                > be told that it is no longer possible to renew or replace a passport
                                > through the consular service any more. I will have to go to Iceland or one
                                > of the 7 Icelandic embassies (5 in Europe, one in the US and one in China)
                                > where they are equipped with the proper machines to receive passport
                                > applications.
                                > My problem is that I can impossibly travel to any of these embassies or to
                                > Iceland without having.... a valid passport. Having lost mine, ensures
                                > that I will not be going anywhere any time soon (or ever). I have brought
                                > this issue up with all members of the Icelandic parliament, issued a formal
                                > complaint to the Ombudsman for the Icelandic parliament, who rubber stamped
                                > the actions of the system as "ok", disregarding the fact that my freedom of
                                > movement has been removed without a backing by the law, and in a complete
                                > violation of the human rights conventions (both the UN and European human
                                > rights, to which Iceland is a party).
                                >
                                > I will have to sue Iceland and the responsible ministers and institutional
                                > leaders for breaking my human rights (actually there are 12 different
                                > conventions they have broken on me by their evil doings)... but before I
                                > can do that, I have to pursue the matter through the Icelandic judicial
                                > system, and by living down in Peru, I am not well equipped to show up in
                                > court in Iceland and present my case, plus, I need to apply for this
                                > process through the minister of justice and human rights in Iceland, and he
                                > is incidentally one of those whom I will be charging with human rights
                                > violations (personally)... so I am really in a blind alley for the time
                                > being. If I request for this matter to be taken up in the human rights
                                > commission without having exhausted all possible legal venues in Iceland,
                                > the case will be dismissed before it ever gets anywhere. 3 years have
                                > passed by now, and no solution in sight.
                                >
                                > Not the simplest of problems to run into, and this is thanks to an
                                > agreement Iceland was "forced" to make with some European body... in order
                                > to make travel "more safe"... while the same requirements are not forced
                                > upon European nationals.
                                >
                                > Well... this is my bullet-proof reason for not being able to attend any
                                > meeting outside Peru. I do however wish everyone all the best of
                                > experience during the gathering, and will be looking forward to the stories
                                > that will come from there.
                                >
                                > Trausti

                              • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                                  Ken, I´m afraid that Perú is very far away south from Mexico. And you don´t have to walk all the way, I´ve seen people riding cargo trains towards the USA (a sad view, btw).

                                  Greetings from the subtropical rehions of Mexico

                                  P.S. Trausti: If you take this option, let me invite you a nice cold mexican beer when you pass through my city. I promise it would be viking approved.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                                    :)
                                    For Icelandic citizens to get a US visa, no problem at all... the same goes for Icelanders getting visa to other parts of the world.. .no problems, since the country does not have any military or ambitions of world domination :)  But without a fully valid bio-passport (the new type), I won't get any visa, and with the emergency passport, I would be arrested upon arrival to the US, which doesn't accept the emergency passport in any way or form.  Walking across the US/Mexico border... I would have to cross several borders before getting there...

                                    Peru/Ecuador
                                    Ecuador/Colombia
                                    Colombia/Panama
                                    Panama/Costa Rica
                                    Costa Rica/Nicaragua
                                    Nicaragua/Honduras
                                    Honduras/Guatemala
                                    Guatemala/Mexico
                                    Not exactly making things simpler... but absolutely more interesting :)

                                    Trausti

                                    Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                                    > I would have loved to be able to go, same for Palmela 2011 and Tucson 2010,
                                    > but I have been put in a situation that makes it completely impossible.
                                    >
                                    > In 2009 I lost my passport during a trip to the Amazon jungle, and upon
                                    > returning to the capital I went to the Icelandic consular office, only to
                                    > be told that it is no longer possible to renew or replace a passport
                                    > through the consular service any more. I will have to go to Iceland or one
                                    > of the 7 Icelandic embassies (5 in Europe, one in the US and one in China)
                                    > where they are equipped with the proper machines to receive passport
                                    > applications.
                                    > My problem is that I can impossibly travel to any of these embassies or to
                                    > Iceland without having.... a valid passport. Having lost mine, ensures
                                    > that I will not be going anywhere any time soon (or ever). I have brought
                                    > this issue up with all members of the Icelandic parliament, issued a formal
                                    > complaint to the Ombudsman for the Icelandic parliament, who rubber stamped
                                    > the actions of the system as "ok", disregarding the fact that my freedom of
                                    > movement has been removed without a backing by the law, and in a complete
                                    > violation of the human rights conventions (both the UN and European human
                                    > rights, to which Iceland is a party).
                                    >
                                    > I will have to sue Iceland and the responsible ministers and institutional
                                    > leaders for breaking my human rights (actually there are 12 different
                                    > conventions they have broken on me by their evil doings)... but before I
                                    > can do that, I have to pursue the matter through the Icelandic judicial
                                    > system, and by living down in Peru, I am not well equipped to show up in
                                    > court in Iceland and present my case, plus, I need to apply for this
                                    > process through the minister of justice and human rights in Iceland, and he
                                    > is incidentally one of those whom I will be charging with human rights
                                    > violations (personally)... so I am really in a blind alley for the time
                                    > being. If I request for this matter to be taken up in the human rights
                                    > commission without having exhausted all possible legal venues in Iceland,
                                    > the case will be dismissed before it ever gets anywhere. 3 years have
                                    > passed by now, and no solution in sight.
                                    >
                                    > Not the simplest of problems to run into, and this is thanks to an
                                    > agreement Iceland was "forced" to make with some European body... in order
                                    > to make travel "more safe"... while the same requirements are not forced
                                    > upon European nationals.
                                    >
                                    > Well... this is my bullet-proof reason for not being able to attend any
                                    > meeting outside Peru. I do however wish everyone all the best of
                                    > experience during the gathering, and will be looking forward to the stories
                                    > that will come from there.
                                    >
                                    > Trausti

                                  • Christian Bloch
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 26, 2012

                                      Try to get a visa to the U.S. It's supposedly very easy.

                                      That's a very common misconception, typically expressed only by US Citizens who never applied for a visa. It's a crazy expensive, timely, and borderline invasive procedure. Attorneys rule this field and leave out no opportunity to enrich themselves.

                                      Blochi
                                    • Ken Warner
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                                        Yes, long walk but think of all the opportunities for a pano :-)

                                        And I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to international travel. I rarely even leave my home town.

                                      • Sacha Griffin
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 26, 2012
                                          You wouldnt survive the columbia/panama border trip on foot. Theres no safe path through the jungle from columbia to any panamanian city especially if you look icelandic. ;)

                                          :)