Olympus fisheye converter?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 13 , May 21, 2012
      Has anyone used the fisheye (or wide-angle) converter for Olympus PEN's 14-42mm II lens?
      Olympus glass is usually very good, but I haven't found anyone using that solution for panoramas.
      I guess it's hard to beat the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for M4/3, but I would really miss the zoom capabilities I have now with my current setup C7070+Raynox CF.

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 13 , May 21, 2012
        You probably won't have good image quality on any other cameras than the M4/3. Those kinds of adapters are more tailored for a specific lens series.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 21, 2012
          På Mon, 21 May 2012 17:11:18 +0200, skrev Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>:

          > You probably won't have good image quality on any other cameras than the M4/3. Those kinds of adapters are more tailored for a specific lens series.

          Well, I was planning to use it on an Olympus PEN M4/3 camera, on the tailored (kit II) lens..

          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2012
            Oh, you didn't say that. I thought you wanted to use it on your c7070.

            I have the NEX with the Sony fisheye adapter for the Sony NEX 16mm lens and it is a very good adapter. Can't speak for the Olympus converter.

            http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-converter-lenses-tested-16886

            There's probably better choices for M4/3 cameras.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 21, 2012
              På Mon, 21 May 2012 17:50:20 +0200, skrev Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>:

              > Oh, you didn't say that. I thought you wanted to use it on your c7070.

              Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
              Although I still love the C7070/Raynox combos versatility, it is getting quite old.
              And the Raynox have got som (saltwater?) spots on the coating which causes small "sun spots" when directed against strong lights.
              And it wouldn't hurt to get more pixels, higher ISO and faster RAW file saving.
              I guess I'll end up with a Samyang 7.5mm + an E-PL3, and a 4/3>M4/3 converter + the 7-14mm for larger pixel counts?

              > I have the NEX with the Sony fisheye adapter for the Sony NEX 16mm lens and it is a very good adapter. Can't speak for the Olympus converter.

              How many around do you need with that lens for a full 360?

              > http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-converter-lenses-tested-16886

              Yes, I was looking at that. It isn't too entusiastic though.
              I was hoping that someone on this list had actually used it for panoramas.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 21, 2012
                PTGui calculates the 16mm + fisheye converter for NEX to be about 15-16mm. I shoot 6 around plus zenith and nadir patch. It's an ok combination but not professional quality.

                http://pancyl.com/BridgeRail.html

                The Samyang 7.5mm on a M4/3 is about 15mm so expect the same. The Samyang on a NEX gives complete sphere with 4 around and is very good.

                If you can afford the Olympus 7-14mm, that's probably enough lens right there. The Samyang and the Olympus fisheye adapter would be redundant.
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 13 , May 21, 2012
                  Ken
                  the pano over the bridge is gorgeous
                  I loved it

                  btw: is this the adaptor you're talking about to use on the 16mm sony nex lens ?

                  best
                  AYRTON

                  + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                  http://ayrton360.com
                  twitter.com/ayrton360

                  "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

                  On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                  PTGui calculates the 16mm + fisheye converter for NEX to be about 15-16mm.  I shoot 6 around plus zenith and nadir patch.  It's an ok combination but not professional quality.

                  http://pancyl.com/BridgeRail.html

                  The Samyang 7.5mm on a M4/3 is about 15mm so expect the same.  The Samyang on a NEX gives complete sphere with 4 around and is very good.

                  If you can afford the Olympus 7-14mm, that's probably enough lens right there.  The Samyang and the Olympus fisheye adapter would be redundant.

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • AYRTON

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 21, 2012
                      Thanks...

                      No, the Sony VCL-HA07A 0.7x (I think) is for Sony video cameras. The other one, the Sony VCL-ECU1 is a wide angle adapter.

                      The one I have is this one which looks like the VCL-ECU1 but is a 180 diagonal fisheye converter.

                      http://www.adorama.com/ISOVCLECF1.html

                      AYRTON wrote:
                      > Ken
                      > the pano over the bridge is gorgeous
                      > I loved it
                      >
                      > btw: is this the adaptor you're talking about to use on the 16mm sony nex
                      > lens ?
                      >
                      > <http://www.adorama.com/SOVCLHA07A.html>
                      >
                      > best
                      > AYRTON
                      >

                      > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                      > http://ayrton360.com
                      > twitter.com/ayrton360
                      >
                      > "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."
                      >

                      > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> PTGui calculates the 16mm + fisheye converter for NEX to be about 15-16mm.
                      >> I shoot 6 around plus zenith and nadir patch. It's an ok combination but
                      >> not professional quality.
                      >>
                      >> http://pancyl.com/BridgeRail.html
                      >>
                      >> The Samyang 7.5mm on a M4/3 is about 15mm so expect the same. The Samyang
                      >> on a NEX gives complete sphere with 4 around and is very good.
                      >>
                      >> If you can afford the Olympus 7-14mm, that's probably enough lens right
                      >> there. The Samyang and the Olympus fisheye adapter would be redundant.
                      >>

                      >> ------------------------------------
                      >>
                      >> --

                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 21, 2012
                        På Mon, 21 May 2012 19:11:36 +0200, skrev Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>:

                        > PTGui calculates the 16mm + fisheye converter for NEX to be about 15-16mm. I shoot 6 around plus zenith and nadir patch. It's an ok combination but not professional quality.
                        >
                        > http://pancyl.com/BridgeRail.html

                        Looks pretty professional to me ;)

                        > The Samyang 7.5mm on a M4/3 is about 15mm so expect the same. The Samyang on a NEX gives complete sphere with 4 around and is very good.

                        That's the beauty of a "zoom fisheye". I zoom in so that I get a circle cropped only on the long sides, for maximum pixels for 4 around (~6000x3000).
                        If I zoom to a full circle I get a lot fewer pixels, but if I want more pixels I can always zoom to more tele, using he same lens.
                        I was hoping that 4 around would work with the M4/3-Samyang (+ up/down)?

                        > If you can afford the Olympus 7-14mm, that's probably enough lens right there. The Samyang and the Olympus fisheye adapter would be redundant.

                        I can't afford it now, but as I already have the 7-14mm 4/3 the only cost would be the converter, which I probably can afford ;)
                        It's a big and heavy lens though, especially compared to the tiny Samyang.
                        BTW, the C7070/Raynox is so long that I need 2 T-pieces on the NN3 head to get rid of parallax.
                        The 7-14mm also needs 2 T-pieces...

                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 21, 2012
                          The 7.5mm Samyang on the M4/3 is equal to a 15mm 180 degree diagonal fisheye on the M4/3 cameras. You'll need 6 around + zenith and nadir with the 7.5mm Samyang.

                          When the 7.5mm Samyang is adapted to the NEX, then it becomes a cropped circle fisheye and you can do 4 around + nadir.

                          I don't know of any full circle fisheye for the M4/3 systems.

                          Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                          > På Mon, 21 May 2012 19:11:36 +0200, skrev Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>:
                          >
                          >> PTGui calculates the 16mm + fisheye converter for NEX to be about 15-16mm. I shoot 6 around plus zenith and nadir patch. It's an ok combination but not professional quality.
                          >>
                          >> http://pancyl.com/BridgeRail.html
                          >
                          > Looks pretty professional to me ;)
                          >
                          >> The Samyang 7.5mm on a M4/3 is about 15mm so expect the same. The Samyang on a NEX gives complete sphere with 4 around and is very good.
                          >
                          > That's the beauty of a "zoom fisheye". I zoom in so that I get a circle cropped only on the long sides, for maximum pixels for 4 around (~6000x3000).
                          > If I zoom to a full circle I get a lot fewer pixels, but if I want more pixels I can always zoom to more tele, using he same lens.
                          > I was hoping that 4 around would work with the M4/3-Samyang (+ up/down)?
                          >
                          >> If you can afford the Olympus 7-14mm, that's probably enough lens right there. The Samyang and the Olympus fisheye adapter would be redundant.
                          >
                          > I can't afford it now, but as I already have the 7-14mm 4/3 the only cost would be the converter, which I probably can afford ;)
                          > It's a big and heavy lens though, especially compared to the tiny Samyang.
                          > BTW, the C7070/Raynox is so long that I need 2 T-pieces on the NN3 head to get rid of parallax.
                          > The 7-14mm also needs 2 T-pieces...

                        • luca vascon
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 22, 2012
                            The Sammy 7.5 is a JEWEL LENS!!!

                            Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                            > På Mon, 21 May 2012 19:11:36 +0200, skrev Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>:
                            >
                            >> PTGui calculates the 16mm + fisheye converter for NEX to be about 15-16mm.  I shoot 6 around plus zenith and nadir patch.  It's an ok combination but not professional quality.
                            >>
                            >> http://pancyl.com/BridgeRail.html
                            >
                            > Looks pretty professional to me ;)
                            >
                            >> The Samyang 7.5mm on a M4/3 is about 15mm so expect the same.  The Samyang on a NEX gives complete sphere with 4 around and is very good.
                            >
                            > That's the beauty of a "zoom fisheye". I zoom in so that I get a circle cropped only on the long sides, for maximum pixels for 4 around (~6000x3000).
                            > If I zoom to a full circle I get a lot fewer pixels, but if I want more pixels I can always zoom to more tele, using he same lens.
                            > I was hoping that 4 around would work with the M4/3-Samyang (+ up/down)?
                            >
                            >> If you can afford the Olympus 7-14mm, that's probably enough lens right there.  The Samyang and the Olympus fisheye adapter would be redundant.
                            >
                            > I can't afford it now, but as I already have the 7-14mm 4/3 the only cost would be the converter, which I probably can afford ;)
                            > It's a big and heavy lens though, especially compared to the tiny Samyang.
                            > BTW, the C7070/Raynox is so long that I need 2 T-pieces on the NN3 head to get rid of parallax.
                            > The 7-14mm also needs 2 T-pieces...

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to: