Canon EF/EFS lenses on Sony NEX cameras

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2012
      The latest edition of Nippon Camera, which went on sale today, has a short article on a new "smart" adaptor from the Metabones company. This provides for intelligent linking of body and lens, and on the NEX-7, for instance, full electronic control of aperture is enabled. Turning the knob on the NEX-7 actually sets the aperture on the lens! On lenses with IS, the image stabilization works, too. Not only that, but the EXIF data for aperture and focus distance are both recorded. AF does NOT work, but I suppose that would be too much to hope for!

      It is unusual for third-party adaptors to outperform their official rivals, but Metabones seems to have pulled it off. Lens makers' lenses for Canon cameras also work similarly and the company website lists all the lenses from Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc., that have passed its tests. See www.metabones.com (in English).

      I am not interested in combining Canon lenses with Sony cameras, but I thought there might be enough interest among list members for it to be worth passing on. I'm afraid the high yen exchange rates are going to make this an expensive option: list price is 39,800 yen.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2012
        Sent from my iPad

        On May 19, 2012, at 7:52 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

        > The latest edition of Nippon Camera, which went on sale today, has a short article on a new "smart" adaptor from the Metabones company. This provides for intelligent linking of body and lens, and on the NEX-7, for instance, full electronic control of aperture is enabled. Turning the knob on the NEX-7 actually sets the aperture on the lens! On lenses with IS, the image stabilization works, too. Not only that, but the EXIF data for aperture and focus distance are both recorded. AF does NOT work, but I suppose that would be too much to hope for!
        >
        > It is unusual for third-party adaptors to outperform their official rivals, but Metabones seems to have pulled it off. Lens makers' lenses for Canon cameras also work similarly and the company website lists all the lenses from Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc., that have passed its tests. See www.metabones.com (in English).
        >
        > I am not interested in combining Canon lenses with Sony cameras, but I thought there might be enough interest among list members for it to be worth passing on. I'm afraid the high yen exchange rates are going to make this an expensive option: list price is 39,800 yen.
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2012
          Hi Roger!
          I heard it was developed together with Conurus, specialized in transforming the unfortunate Contax N AF lenses in fully compatible Canon ones.
          I think most interested can be videomakers, and  http://steveoakley.net/template_permalink.asp?id=382  the data port maybe will allow external usb followfocus

          2012/5/19 Roger D Williams <roger@...>
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Luca Vascon.

          www.nuovostudio.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Roger D Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , May 20, 2012
            Hi Luka!

            Yes, the article mentions cooperation with Conurus, but as the name meant nothing to me I left it out.

            Roger W.

            Sent from my iPad