adding computer generated content to panos

  • erik_leeman
    Message 1 of 22 , May 17, 2012
      Hi all,

      Lately I've been doing some experiments to see if I could 'populate' panoramas with computer-generated 3D content.
      Here are some results I'd like to share with you (FLASH only!):

      http://tinyurl.com/Pacinek-3-DAZ

      http://tinyurl.com/Riols-DAZ

      (the second one isn't completely finished yet, the reflection still needs to be warped to follow the water surface)

      Looks like with some practice useful things could be achieved this way!
      And fun things too of course : )

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 22 , May 17, 2012
        Very good, Erik, that looks really promising.

        Thanks for sharing
        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Lately I've been doing some experiments to see if I could 'populate' panoramas with computer-generated 3D content.
        > Here are some results I'd like to share with you (FLASH only!):
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/Pacinek-3-DAZ
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/Riols-DAZ
        >
        > (the second one isn't completely finished yet, the reflection still needs to be warped to follow the water surface)
        >
        > Looks like with some practice useful things could be achieved this way!
        > And fun things too of course : )
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Erik Leeman
        >
        > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 22 , May 17, 2012
          Very good !!!
          Thanks Erik

          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
          http://ayrton360.com
          twitter.com/ayrton360

          "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

          On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...> wrote:
          Hi all,

          Lately I've been doing some experiments to see if I could 'populate' panoramas with computer-generated 3D content.
          Here are some results I'd like to share with you (FLASH only!):

          http://tinyurl.com/Pacinek-3-DAZ

          http://tinyurl.com/Riols-DAZ

          (the second one isn't completely finished yet, the reflection still needs to be warped to follow the water surface)

          Looks like with some practice useful things could be achieved this way!
          And fun things too of course : )

          Cheers!

          Erik Leeman

          <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>  <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 22 , May 17, 2012
            Yes, good!
            I'm interested in how you rendered the stuff, if in equirectangular directly, or you render a simple projection and photoshop it into?

            --
            Luca Vascon.

            www.nuovostudio.it
            www.officinepanottiche.com

          • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
            Message 5 of 22 , May 17, 2012
              Very Nice!

              Is is a Poser/Daz model? It renders very natural.

              2012/5/17 erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...>

              Hi all,

              Lately I've been doing some experiments to see if I could 'populate' panoramas with computer-generated 3D content.
              Here are some results I'd like to share with you (FLASH only!):

              http://tinyurl.com/Pacinek-3-DAZ

              http://tinyurl.com/Riols-DAZ

              (the second one isn't completely finished yet, the reflection still needs to be warped to follow the water surface)

              Looks like with some practice useful things could be achieved this way!
              And fun things too of course : )

              Cheers!

              Erik Leeman

              <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

              --
              L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
              felipe@...

            • erik_leeman
              Message 6 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon wrote:
                > Yes, good!
                > I'm interested in how you rendered the stuff, if in equirectangular
                > directly, or you render a simple projection and photoshop it into?
                > --
                > Luca Vascon.
                >
                > www.nuovostudio.it
                > www.officinepanottiche.com

                Thanks for having a look and your comments guys!

                Hi Luca, I'll try to give a condensed description of the process:

                I rendered (3840x2400 px) rectilinear images of the 3D 'objects' with spherical panorama backgrounds in LUX render. These background panoramas also served as HDR light sources (Image Based Lighting) to help blend in the objects into the scenes. With the objects I also placed a few simple planes in 3D space to catch shadows and reflections. This process is a bit difficult to describe in a few words, but for those with a deviantART account I have this link:
                http://erik-nl.deviantart.com/gallery/
                There you can find some images that may clarify things a bit.

                After some Photoshop corrections I then remapped those renders to register and blend with the original full-sized equirectangular panoramas in PTGui using the usual manual control point etc. method.

                Getting shadows and reflections in all the right places is the most difficult part, but doing it right is crucial for the end result!

                Message 7 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

                  > Very Nice!
                  >
                  > Is is a Poser/Daz model? It renders very natural.

                  Yep, well spotted!
                  It's a somewhat modified (morphed) DAZ Studio 4.0 Pro / Genesis-V5 model with V5 Elite Valerie texture.
                  I used Pret-a-3D Reality 2.1 for LuxRender to set up the actual render in LUX.
                  Using DAZ is a very efficient way to quickly get realistic 3D 'humanoids' into your scene, but I plan to also use 3D-scans from real people for this.

                  Cheers!

                  Erik Leeman

                  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>
                • Uri
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                    Very good! I like the transparency of the 'glass' models.

                    Six years ago I used Bryce (also made by DAZ) to create elements for a WWP panorama. See:

                    http://www.uricogan.com/qtvr/between.html

                    and to create the entire panorama:

                    http://www.uricogan.com/qtvr/solong.html

                    Bryce can generate whole panoramas, though in the old QTVR format. The easiest way I found to combine Bryce, Poser or Daz models, or in face any image into the panorama is via the cube faces...

                    There are excellent versions DAZ Studio with Bryce available for free (!):

                    Macinosh: http://tinyurl.com/7qjbvox
                    Windows: http://tinyurl.com/7wl65vw

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Uri" wrote:

                      > Very good! I like the transparency of the 'glass' models.
                      >
                      > Six years ago I used Bryce (also made by DAZ) to create elements
                      > for a WWP panorama. See:
                      >
                      > http://www.uricogan.com/qtvr/between.html
                      >
                      > and to create the entire panorama:
                      >
                      > http://www.uricogan.com/qtvr/solong.html
                      >
                      > Bryce can generate whole panoramas, though in the old QTVR format.
                      > The easiest way I found to combine Bryce, Poser or Daz models, or
                      > in face any image into the panorama is via the cube faces...
                      >
                      > There are excellent versions DAZ Studio with Bryce available for
                      > free (!):
                      >
                      > Macinosh: http://tinyurl.com/7qjbvox
                      > Windows: http://tinyurl.com/7wl65vw

                      Hi Uri, thanks for having a look!

                      I hope you won't hate me for writing this, but your examples actually 'vividly' demonstrate what benefit six years of software development can bring ; )

                      Today's rendering software can deliver photorealism that's almost scary, and at a price that's kind of shocking too: it's for free!

                      To be able to create images like those I've shown here I
                      had to spend the breathtaking amount of $59.95 for a DAZ Studio plugin so I can use LuxRender with it, an open source, brilliant, and free stand-alone render program.

                      Do note that DAZ Studio's native render module is not capable of anything near photorealism, and you can't apply IBL (image based lighting) with it, which is essential for this purpose!
                      So don't waste your time struggling with it!

                      You can find that LuxRender-bridge plugin here:
                      http://preta3d.com/reality-2-0/

                      LuxRender itself can be found here:
                      http://www.luxrender.net/
                      http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/

                      I've just started experimenting with these tools to see what's possible in combination with spherical photographs, it will be interesting to see what wonderful things other panocreators can do with them!

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                        Bryce and poser used to be metacreations... like CANOMA!!

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon wrote:

                          > Bryce and poser used to be metacreations... like CANOMA!!

                          Hi all, hi Luca,

                          Here's the result one of the first ones I did,
                          but before you try it please note these four remarks:

                          1. this one is NOT safe for work in many places.
                          2. it is quite large at 8.3 MB
                          3. it is FLASH only,
                          4. cube faces are 2880x2880, and intended to be viewed full screen!

                          I think it will give a nice impression of the quality of DAZ 3D geometry and Lux's render output. The blending into the photograph may not be perfect, but hey, it was one of my first attempts at this.

                          Again, if you object to seeing pixels with skin-like RGB values in specific arrangements, do not follow this link!

                          http://tinyurl.com/Regomir-DAZ-2880x2880

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                            Eric, you´ve probably made the most elaborate description I could think of of a nuede image. BTW, in this particular case it might have been easier to shoot a real life model (just kidding, it´s a good example you´ve done).

                            2012/5/18 erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...>

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon wrote:

                            > Bryce and poser used to be metacreations... like CANOMA!!

                            Hi all, hi Luca,

                            Here's the result one of the first ones I did,
                            but before you try it please note these four remarks:

                            1. this one is NOT safe for work in many places.
                            2. it is quite large at 8.3 MB
                            3. it is FLASH only,
                            4. cube faces are 2880x2880, and intended to be viewed full screen!

                            I think it will give a nice impression of the quality of DAZ 3D geometry and Lux's render output. The blending into the photograph may not be perfect, but hey, it was one of my first attempts at this.

                            Again, if you object to seeing pixels with skin-like RGB values in specific arrangements, do not follow this link!

                            http://tinyurl.com/Regomir-DAZ-2880x2880

                            Cheers!

                            Erik Leeman

                            <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

                            --
                            L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                            felipe@...
                            1998-5246
                            www.fpk.com.mx
                            http://recorridosvirtuales.wordpress.com/

                          • Kathy Wheeler
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                              On 05/19/2012, at 9:06 AM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:
                              > Eric, you´ve probably made the most elaborate description I could think of of a nuede image. BTW, in this particular case it might have been easier to shoot a real life model (just kidding, it´s a good example you´ve done).

                              Yeah but hey - no model release required for DAZ figures ...

                              I want to like DAZ, I really do. I have DAZ, and Poser, and Bryce etc. The problem is their models just don't look life-like enough. Even with the deliberate skin imperfections (and I don't just mean on their human models) they still look artificial :-(

                              KathyW.
                            • Christian Bloch
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                                Well, the nude in the alley you posted actually comes closer than the others.

                                The trouble with a human figure is, that there are so many subtleties that we subconsciously recognize when they are missing…  As humans we're just trained to interpret the human figure. And that's where the "uncanny valley" comes in:  the point where a human figure limbos between puppet and life-like. That's why humans are actually the hardest thing to get perfect in CG. The same level of realism spent on a car or killer robot or creepy monster, and everybody would just buy it.

                                Blochi

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 19, 2012
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Christian Bloch wrote:

                                  > Well, the nude in the alley you posted actually comes closer than
                                  > the others.
                                  >
                                  > The trouble with a human figure is, that there are so many
                                  > subtleties that we subconsciously recognize when they are missing…
                                  > As humans we're just trained to interpret the human figure. And
                                  > that's where the "uncanny valley" comes in: the point where a
                                  > human figure limbos between puppet and life-like. That's why humans
                                  > are actually the hardest thing to get perfect in CG. The same level
                                  > of realism spent on a car or killer robot or creepy monster, and
                                  > everybody would just buy it.
                                  >
                                  > Blochi

                                  Hi Christian,

                                  Rest assured I'm fully aware of the difficulties of portraying human figures, not only in computer generated material.
                                  But even so, what really took me by surprise when I was experimenting with this stuff was the image quality we can have today for peanuts. Last time I looked (a few years ago) affordable human-shaped 3D still looked utterly dreadful, and now, what an improvement!

                                  Not only the models and pose-ability have become much better, but especially the render quality as provided by tools like LuxRender!

                                  Sure, there's LOTS that can be improved in the examples I've shown.
                                  For instance, setting up convincing poses is quite a challenge for a beginner like me.

                                  Nevertheless I thought it was worth showing, who knows who might benefit from learning about these tools.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 19, 2012

                                    Nevertheless I thought it was worth showing, who knows who might benefit from learning about these tools.

                                    Oh, absolutely - I think it's awesome we have a discussion about CG. ;)

                                    It really has become easier, and for some strange reasons panoramas and IBL are a big part of that. And, of course the availability of good models. www.Turbosquid.com is another source of quality stuff, that renders very easy. Even the higher-end 3D packages are not much harder to learn, as long as you feed them the right content. Heck even Photoshop Extended has a 3d model shop and has somewhat acceptable render quality.

                                    I believe the Reality2 plugin also supports direct import of sIBL sets (haven't tried it, but was told). That's how I share my panoramas, and there's also software to turn your own HDR pano into a ready-lit stage. Super-easy: www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

                                    Blochi
                                  • enridp
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 19, 2012
                                      It looks fine, but I think you need more practice in 3D, those plants looks very unreal.

                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Bryce and poser used to be metacreations... like CANOMA!!
                                      > >

                                      > Hi all, hi Luca,
                                      >
                                      > Here's the result one of the first ones I did,
                                      > but before you try it please note these four remarks:
                                      >
                                      > 1. this one is NOT safe for work in many places.
                                      > 2. it is quite large at 8.3 MB
                                      > 3. it is FLASH only,
                                      > 4. cube faces are 2880x2880, and intended to be viewed full screen!
                                      >
                                      > I think it will give a nice impression of the quality of DAZ 3D geometry and Lux's render output. The blending into the photograph may not be perfect, but hey, it was one of my first attempts at this.
                                      >
                                      > Again, if you object to seeing pixels with skin-like RGB values in specific arrangements, do not follow this link!
                                      >
                                      > http://tinyurl.com/Regomir-DAZ-2880x2880
                                      >
                                      > Cheers!
                                      >
                                      > Erik Leeman
                                      >
                                      > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>

                                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 21, 2012
                                        På Sat, 19 May 2012 11:26:17 +0200, skrev Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:

                                        >> Nevertheless I thought it was worth showing, who knows who might benefit from learning about these tools.
                                        >
                                        > Oh, absolutely - I think it's awesome we have a discussion about CG. ;)
                                        >
                                        > It really has become easier, and for some strange reasons panoramas and IBL are a big part of that. And, of course the availability of good models. www.Turbosquid.com is another source of quality stuff, that renders very easy. Even the higher-end 3D packages are not much harder to learn, as long as you feed them the right content. Heck even Photoshop Extended has a 3d model shop and has somewhat acceptable render quality.
                                        >
                                        > I believe the Reality2 plugin also supports direct import of sIBL sets (haven't tried it, but was told). That's how I share my panoramas, and there's also software to turn your own HDR pano into a ready-lit stage. Super-easy: www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

                                        sIBL is highly recommended :)
                                        As well as Blochis HDR book!

                                        For some reason that nude pano refused to load in Opera, so I had to fire up Chrome. The others loaded fine in Opera.
                                        I think it looked pretty good, but the skin lacked some reflections from that yellow light?

                                        It is a two-edged sword that it is now easier than ever to make great-looking 3D (and pano/CGI) images though.
                                        A lot of the market has vanished, because now architects etc have got that magic 'make a nice picture'-button.
                                        And they can buy/find whatever they want of furniture, plants, people, cars and HDRs for IBL etc.

                                        BTW, here's a wwp contribution from 2009: http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp1209/html/BjornKareNilssen-6022.html
                                        Testing out some fur etc..
                                        And another, old one, from 2006, showing the view from an unbuilt house's first floor: http://bknilssen.no/pano/pFagertun02Bs.mov

                                      • erik_leeman
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 21, 2012
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

                                          > sIBL is highly recommended :)
                                          > As well as Blochis HDR book!
                                          >
                                          > For some reason that nude pano refused to load in Opera, so I had
                                          > to fire up Chrome. The others loaded fine in Opera.
                                          > I think it looked pretty good, but the skin lacked some reflections
                                          > from that yellow light?
                                          >
                                          > It is a two-edged sword that it is now easier than ever to make
                                          > great-looking 3D (and pano/CGI) images though.
                                          > A lot of the market has vanished, because now architects etc have
                                          > got that magic 'make a nice picture'-button.
                                          > And they can buy/find whatever they want of furniture, plants,
                                          > people, cars and HDRs for IBL etc.
                                          >
                                          > BTW, here's a wwp contribution from 2009:
                                          http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp1209/html/BjornKareNilssen-6022.html
                                          > Testing out some fur etc..
                                          > And another, old one, from 2006, showing the view from an unbuilt
                                          > house's first floor: http://bknilssen.no/pano/pFagertun02Bs.mov
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Bjørn K Nilssen - bk@... - 3D and panoramas

                                          Hi Bjørn,

                                          Thanks for having a look : )

                                          I agree, that yellow light ought to have more effect, and it probably will if I rebuild the original bracketed images into a real HDR version.
                                          So far I haven't used true HDR data, I merely converted some of my old 16-bit TIFF's to 32-bit .exr and used those as IBL-sources for the renders. Surely that must (or should) show in the end result.

                                          I think we should grab that CGI-sword back from those architects, and (learn to) use it better than they can. Only then can we make them need us, instead of steadily loosing more and more ground as image-creators. Adding value to our work for (potential) clients can only be a good thing.

                                          Here's another one I'm working on, still have to find a way to get rain on the CG-model's skin and hair.
                                          Also a LARGE file with 2880 cube faces, and also not safe for most workplaces (be careful!)

                                          http://tinyurl.com/Fontaine-DAZ-2880x2880

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 21, 2012
                                            På Mon, 21 May 2012 15:19:25 +0200, skrev erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...>:

                                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> sIBL is highly recommended :)
                                            >> As well as Blochis HDR book!
                                            >>
                                            >> For some reason that nude pano refused to load in Opera, so I had
                                            >> to fire up Chrome. The others loaded fine in Opera.
                                            >> I think it looked pretty good, but the skin lacked some reflections
                                            >> from that yellow light?
                                            >>
                                            >> It is a two-edged sword that it is now easier than ever to make
                                            >> great-looking 3D (and pano/CGI) images though.
                                            >> A lot of the market has vanished, because now architects etc have
                                            >> got that magic 'make a nice picture'-button.
                                            >> And they can buy/find whatever they want of furniture, plants,
                                            >> people, cars and HDRs for IBL etc.
                                            >>
                                            >> BTW, here's a wwp contribution from 2009:
                                            > http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp1209/html/BjornKareNilssen-6022.html
                                            >> Testing out some fur etc..
                                            >> And another, old one, from 2006, showing the view from an unbuilt
                                            >> house's first floor: http://bknilssen.no/pano/pFagertun02Bs.mov
                                            >>
                                            >> --
                                            >> Bjørn K Nilssen - bk@... - 3D and panoramas
                                            >>

                                            > Hi Bjørn,
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for having a look : )
                                            >
                                            > I agree, that yellow light ought to have more effect, and it probably will if I rebuild the original bracketed images into a real HDR version.
                                            > So far I haven't used true HDR data, I merely converted some of my old 16-bit TIFF's to 32-bit .exr and used those as IBL-sources for the renders.Surely that must (or should) show in the end result.

                                            I don't use Luxrender, but afaik it is capable of outputting HDR equirects?
                                            Then a very quick and dirty (but often very useful and convincing) way to make HDR or lighting is to make a simple box/boxes in 3D, add colors/textures, and some strong light-emitters. Like in that first nude pano a strong emitter above the inner walls, and a yellow/orange one where that yellow light is. Apply some smoothing/blur in PS and it would probably work fine as a HDR for IBL in Lux?
                                            A linear workflow makes it a lot easier to get good IBL results IMHO.

                                            > I think we should grab that CGI-sword back from those architects, and (learn to) use it better than they can. Only then can we make them need us, instead of steadily loosing more and more ground as image-creators. Adding value to our work for (potential) clients can only be a good thing.

                                            They still need us for high-end visualizations, but the bulk of 3D work used to be more mid/low-end. Many authoritities now demand 3D images of proposed of buildings shown in the actual surroundings. Such composite 3D/photo work is more than most architects can handle, but usually they get away by just adding very simple scale models of surrounding buildings..

                                            > Here's another one I'm working on, still have to find a way to get rain on the CG-model's skin and hair.
                                            > Also a LARGE file with 2880 cube faces, and also not safe for most workplaces (be careful!)

                                            That one loaded fine in Opera too. Strange! As a freelancer there are no bosses behind my shoulder ;)
                                            I think that first nude was more convincingly lit.
                                            Getting the skin/hair to be partly covered by rain drops would be very tricky to get right.
                                            Do those models have good unstretched UV maps? If they do it might be worth a try to make some reflection/specular maps?

                                            How about a tree hut up in one of those nice trees? ;)

                                            > http://tinyurl.com/Fontaine-DAZ-2880x2880

                                          • markgambier
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                              In a way, I've been taking the reverse approach . . . I take Stereographic 3D photos of actors and place them in CG settings for a graphic novel App I just submitted to Apple for approval. I run the left and right images of the CG background and the actor through a variety of processes in photoshop to give them a similar look and feel, which makes compositing easier and adds to the look and feel of the work.

                                              I had originally wanted to incorporate a 360 pano for a particular portion of the App, but have had a devil of a time rendering a smooth anaglyph pano. Anyone have any experience in that area?

                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                                                > ...snip...
                                                >
                                                > Getting the skin/hair to be partly covered by rain drops would be
                                                > very tricky to get right.
                                                > Do those models have good unstretched UV maps? If they do it might be
                                                > worth a try to make some reflection/specular maps?
                                                >
                                                > How about a tree hut up in one of those nice trees? ;)
                                                >
                                                > > http://tinyurl.com/Fontaine-DAZ-2880x2880
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Bjørn K Nilssen - bk@... - 3D and panoramas

                                                Hi Bjørn,

                                                I gave her a specular map with droplets, and changed the shader settings accordingly. Although not perfect I thinks it's major improvement!