Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: aberration correction in acr 6.7

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 24 , May 5, 2012
      Sacha,
      Le 4 mai 2012 à 22:32, Sacha Griffin a écrit :

      That looks like a better comparison.

      So the moral of the story is “click it and forget about it”.

      I do not have PS CS5 and did not test ACR 6.7 against ACR 6.6.
      Aroused by the new Color Fringe Correction Controls, I have thus read the Adobe Lightroom Journal (April 25, 2012) with interest: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/
      While the presented cases studies are truly impressive and  almost looking like a real breakthrough, the Adobe's suggested workflow is not as simple as what you propose:
      <<
      1. Do overall color and tone corrections first (e.g., Basic panel, Tone Curve panel, etc.).
      2. Turn on profile-based lens corrections (for distortion and vignetting), if needed.
      3. Turn on lateral CA correction (check the “Remove Chromatic Aberration” box), if needed.
      4. Apply global Defringe, if needed.
      5. Apply local Defringe, if needed.

      I dare to think that [if needed] might need to be replaced in many normal circumstances by [as needed]. Defringe control requires actuation of up to four different sliders and this might be a fair effort to do for having better image than it is presently possible.

      Michel
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 24 , May 5, 2012
        We were talking about the remove chromatic aberration checkbox, not the axial aberration / defringe sliders.
        But fascinating read. Looks like will notice this type of aberration forever now.

        Sacha Griffin
        Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

      • Antonio Garbasso
        Message 3 of 24 , May 5, 2012
          About longitudinal CA it seems that Lightroom 4.1 CR2 (its a beta and fully downloadable from here:
          http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html )
          can correct it nicely, and also the purple(blue) fringing is well corrected.
          Some more words about it:
          http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

          Toni
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2012
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Garbasso <list@...> wrote:

            > About longitudinal CA it seems that Lightroom 4.1 CR2 (its a beta and fully downloadable from here:
            > http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html )
            > can correct it nicely, and also the purple(blue) fringing is well corrected.
            > Some more words about it:
            > http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

            I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
            I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.

            Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.

            Hans
          • Michel Thoby
            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2012

              Le 7 mai 2012 à 15:06, Hans a écrit :

              I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
              I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.

              Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.

              Hans

              Release Candidates of ACR 7.1 and of DNG 7.1 are downloadable at  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
              That's may be what you are looking for?

              Michel
            • Hans
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2012
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                > Le 7 mai 2012 à 15:06, Hans a écrit :
                >
                > > I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                > > I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.
                > >
                > > Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.
                > >
                > > Hans
                >
                > Release Candidates of ACR 7.1 and of DNG 7.1 are downloadable at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
                > That's may be what you are looking for?

                Downloaded and tested.
                Goes in the waste for me.

                To dangerous to work with in RAW. Removing fringe completely in corners applies very bad effects in center.

                I think I prefer my old methods using simple selections and saturation tool.