Photoshop CS5 Issue

  • Kyle
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4 3:51 PM
      I have run into a problem with Photoshop CS5 while using the healing brush. Instead of correcting the shots taken with the NN4/nd16, I stitched the photos to produce the pano. Then attempted to remove a shadow cast by my tripod using the healing brush. The problem is that it does not behave the same as when healing a single jpg. When taking a sample, it seems to be from a random area and when doing the healing,it makes it worse. Is this because it is a stitched pano? Also the process is very slow. When releasing the mouse button after healing an area,I get a progress bar showing the healing process. Not so when doing a single jpg. I have adjusted the advanced setting for performance and it made no difference that I could see..

      Has anyone run into this before?? I am making the assumption that trying to heal a pano is a nono??

      Any info much appreciated...

      Kyle
    • Fernando Chaves
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4 5:40 PM
        ... When taking a sample, it seems to be from a random area and when doing
        the healing,it makes it worse. Is this because it is a stitched pano?

        Hi,
        Did you check the layers menu? You are probably working on a layered image
        and your sample area is an empty area, or masked area.
        Best regards,
        Fernando
      • Kyle Goodnight
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4 5:44 PM
          Fernando,
          Thanks for the thought...No, I did not ck the layers but I bet that is what is happening now thinking about it...You are probably right on...Thanks again...
          Kyle
          Friday, May 04, 2012 8:40 PM

          ... When taking a sample, it seems to be from a random area and when doing
          the healing,it makes it worse. Is this because it is a stitched pano?

          Hi,
          Did you check the layers menu? You are probably working on a layered image
          and your sample area is an empty area, or masked area.
          Best regards,
          Fernando

          Friday, May 04, 2012 6:51 PM

          --
          Regards,
          Kyle

      • Fernando Chaves
        Message 4 of 7 , May 5 5:11 AM
          Hi,
          I should have say "layers panel" instead of layers menu. A Photoshop
          stitched pano shows up as a layered image.
          Best regards.
          Fernando

          Message 5 of 7 , May 5 7:11 AM
            Am 05.05.2012 14:11, schrieb Fernando Chaves:
            > A Photoshop stitched pano shows up as a layered image.

            Not necessarily. It depends on the output settings in PTGui (which I
            assume you use for stitching).

            If you are not yet familiar with layers perhaps it is better to output
            as "Blended Panorama only" (or "Tone mapped panorama" only in case of
            HDR) on PTGui Create Panorama tab. In both cases use the Settings button
            in the File format line and choose "Layers: Flattened". This will create
            a single layer document where the healing brush works as expected.

            In case of a multi layer document make sure you click the background
            layer in the layers palette in photoshop before you do any editing.

            If you want to use layered output see
            http://www.ptgui.com/examples/postprocessing/

          • Fernando Chaves
            Message 6 of 7 , May 5 8:35 AM
              Hi Erick,
              I've trimmed (too much) Kyle Goodnight's message. He was talking about a
              photoshop generated panorama issue.
              Best regards,
              Fernando

              On Sat, May 5, 2012 10:11 am, Erik Krause wrote:
              > Am 05.05.2012 14:11, schrieb Fernando Chaves:
              >> A Photoshop stitched pano shows up as a layered image.
              >
              > Not necessarily. It depends on the output settings in PTGui (which I
              > assume you use for stitching).
              >
              > If you are not yet familiar with layers perhaps it is better to output
              > as "Blended Panorama only" (or "Tone mapped panorama" only in case of
              > HDR) on PTGui Create Panorama tab. In both cases use the Settings button
              > in the File format line and choose "Layers: Flattened". This will create
              > a single layer document where the healing brush works as expected.
              >
              > In case of a multi layer document make sure you click the background
              > layer in the layers palette in photoshop before you do any editing.
              >
              > If you want to use layered output see
              > http://www.ptgui.com/examples/postprocessing/
              >
              > --
              > Erik Krause
              > http://www.erik-krause.de
            • Kyle Goodnight
              Message 7 of 7 , May 5 8:51 AM
                Hi Fernando,
                The pano was generated with 3dVista's Stitcher4 however I usually use PTGUI.  I have been using their software for some time and it works fine for what I am doing.  I am not an expert with Photoshop and do understand how to use layers.  I have been able to fix the issue thanks to your direction on using the layers to make the correction.  I just did not think about it being layered when I was using the healing brush...I will also look at using Erik's method as well in PTGUI...

                Thanks for the help...

                Kyle

                Saturday, May 05, 2012 11:35 AM

                Hi Erick,
                I've trimmed (too much) Kyle Goodnight's message. He was talking about a
                photoshop generated panorama issue.
                Best regards,
                Fernando

                On Sat, May 5, 2012 10:11 am, Erik Krause wrote:
                > Am 05.05.2012 14:11, schrieb Fernando Chaves:
                >> A Photoshop stitched pano shows up as a layered image.
                >
                > Not necessarily. It depends on the output settings in PTGui (which I
                > assume you use for stitching).
                >
                > If you are not yet familiar with layers perhaps it is better to output
                > as "Blended Panorama only" (or "Tone mapped panorama" only in case of
                > HDR) on PTGui Create Panorama tab. In both cases use the Settings button
                > in the File format line and choose "Layers: Flattened". This will create
                > a single layer document where the healing brush works as expected.
                >
                > In case of a multi layer document make sure you click the background
                > layer in the layers palette in photoshop before you do any editing.
                >
                > If you want to use layered output see
                > http://www.ptgui.com/examples/postprocessing/
                >
                > --
                > Erik Krause
                > http://www.erik-krause.de

                Saturday, May 05, 2012 10:11 AM

                Not necessarily. It depends on the output settings in PTGui (which I
                assume you use for stitching).

                If you are not yet familiar with layers perhaps it is better to output
                as "Blended Panorama only" (or "Tone mapped panorama" only in case of
                HDR) on PTGui Create Panorama tab. In both cases use the Settings button
                in the File format line and choose "Layers: Flattened". This will create
                a single layer document where the healing brush works as expected.

                In case of a multi layer document make sure you click the background
                layer in the layers palette in photoshop before you do any editing.

                If you want to use layered output see
                http://www.ptgui.com/examples/postprocessing/

                Friday, May 04, 2012 8:44 PM