Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: aberration correction in acr 6.7

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2012
      Thanks. My opinion is that while they are not perfectly corrected for CA -- they are pretty darn good. Both of the crops. I can't tell the difference between them if there is a difference.

      Hans wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
      >> Hans, how about posting 100% crops of a corner or something?
      >> Your samples are huge and take a long time to download.
      >

      > Ok here is a cropped version of the Nikon 10.5mm, 10 mb download.
      >
      > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCAsmall.tif
      >
      > Hans
      >
      >> Hans wrote:

      >>> Here is another one which has a nasty bluefringe which is almost impossible to remove completely without extra desatuarion
      >>>
      >>> It's Tokina 10-17 at 10mm.
      >>> http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCA-tokina.tif
      >>>
      >>> Hans

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2012

        That looks like a better comparison.

        So the moral of the story is “click it and forget about it”.

        Thank you  again for the samples.

        Best Regards,

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2012
          Am 04.05.2012 19:03, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
          > I'm not seeing huge differences between the two

          I'm not surprised. I guess they do linear scaling of the channels, just
          like the manual version, too. I did no direct comparison, but the
          automatic correction of my Zenitar was ok - about the same what I could
          achieve with any linear correction, be it ACR or any other raw converter.

          The Zenitar is especially complicated, since it shows red-cyan fringing
          in the very corners and blue-yellow fringing further to the middle. This
          kind of CA is fully correctable only with non-linear techniques like
          f.e. panotools plugins or tca_correct offer (basically a lens distortion
          correction for the red and blue channel only) - unfortunately not for raw.

          BTW.: RawTherapee has a non-linear automatic CA correction since more
          than a year, which corrects the Zenitar very well. Details can be found
          further down on http://rawtherapee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2572
          Unfortunately it fails sometimes.

          Since ACR uses linear correction it is probably more robust and
          (hopefully) won't fail that easy...

        • Michel Thoby
          Message 4 of 24 , May 5, 2012
            Sacha,
            Le 4 mai 2012 à 22:32, Sacha Griffin a écrit :

            That looks like a better comparison.

            So the moral of the story is “click it and forget about it”.

            I do not have PS CS5 and did not test ACR 6.7 against ACR 6.6.
            Aroused by the new Color Fringe Correction Controls, I have thus read the Adobe Lightroom Journal (April 25, 2012) with interest: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/
            While the presented cases studies are truly impressive and  almost looking like a real breakthrough, the Adobe's suggested workflow is not as simple as what you propose:
            <<
            1. Do overall color and tone corrections first (e.g., Basic panel, Tone Curve panel, etc.).
            2. Turn on profile-based lens corrections (for distortion and vignetting), if needed.
            3. Turn on lateral CA correction (check the “Remove Chromatic Aberration” box), if needed.
            4. Apply global Defringe, if needed.
            5. Apply local Defringe, if needed.

            I dare to think that [if needed] might need to be replaced in many normal circumstances by [as needed]. Defringe control requires actuation of up to four different sliders and this might be a fair effort to do for having better image than it is presently possible.

            Michel
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 24 , May 5, 2012
              We were talking about the remove chromatic aberration checkbox, not the axial aberration / defringe sliders.
              But fascinating read. Looks like will notice this type of aberration forever now.

              Sacha Griffin
              Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

            • Antonio Garbasso
              Message 6 of 24 , May 5, 2012
                About longitudinal CA it seems that Lightroom 4.1 CR2 (its a beta and fully downloadable from here:
                http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html )
                can correct it nicely, and also the purple(blue) fringing is well corrected.
                Some more words about it:
                http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

                Toni
              • Hans
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2012
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Garbasso <list@...> wrote:

                  > About longitudinal CA it seems that Lightroom 4.1 CR2 (its a beta and fully downloadable from here:
                  > http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html )
                  > can correct it nicely, and also the purple(blue) fringing is well corrected.
                  > Some more words about it:
                  > http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

                  I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                  I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.

                  Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.

                  Hans
                • Michel Thoby
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2012

                    Le 7 mai 2012 à 15:06, Hans a écrit :

                    I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                    I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.

                    Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.

                    Hans

                    Release Candidates of ACR 7.1 and of DNG 7.1 are downloadable at  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
                    That's may be what you are looking for?

                    Michel
                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2012
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                      > Le 7 mai 2012 à 15:06, Hans a écrit :
                      >
                      > > I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                      > > I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.
                      > >
                      > > Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.
                      > >
                      > > Hans
                      >
                      > Release Candidates of ACR 7.1 and of DNG 7.1 are downloadable at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
                      > That's may be what you are looking for?

                      Downloaded and tested.
                      Goes in the waste for me.

                      To dangerous to work with in RAW. Removing fringe completely in corners applies very bad effects in center.

                      I think I prefer my old methods using simple selections and saturation tool.