Re: aberration correction in acr 6.7

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2012

      > We need center, and corner 100% crop comparisons.

      Here is a layered tif. 5d with 10.5

      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCA.tif

      One is manual and one is the new version 6.7 auto.

      I am not going to tell you which is what.

      > I still see a bit of CA on the edges in the new version, which is why I
      > bring this up also since it appears to be content dependent.. I'm wondering
      > if the large amount of un-unused sensor area might affect it, or even mess
      > with consistency, for fisheyes.
      >

      > Best Regards,
      >

      > Sacha Griffin

      > <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
      >
      > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
      >
      > <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
      >
      > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
      >
      > Office: 404-551-4275

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2012
        I'm not seeing huge differences between the two, but the background layer
        seems to have slightly less purple fringing. Also, less falloff at the
        edges. And the winner is...?

        Thanks for posting the image!

        Mark

        www.northernlight.net
        www.virtual-travels.com
        www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2012

          Layer 1 is superior in aberration correction, with a trade-off of being slightly blurrier.

          Best Regards,

          Sacha Griffin

          http://www.seeit360.com

          http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

          http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

          IM: sachagriffin007@...

          Office: 404-551-4275

          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2012

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > We need center, and corner 100% crop comparisons.
            >
            > Here is a layered tif. 5d with 10.5
            >
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCA.tif
            >
            > One is manual and one is the new version 6.7 auto.
            >
            > I am not going to tell you which is what.

            Here is another one which has a nasty bluefringe which is almost impossible to remove completely without extra desatuarion

            It's Tokina 10-17 at 10mm.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCA-tokina.tif

            Hans

            > Hans

            > > I still see a bit of CA on the edges in the new version, which is why I
            > > bring this up also since it appears to be content dependent.. I'm wondering
            > > if the large amount of un-unused sensor area might affect it, or even mess
            > > with consistency, for fisheyes.
            > >

            > > Best Regards,
            > >

            > > Sacha Griffin
            > >
            > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC - Atlanta, Georgia
            > >
            > > <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
            > >
            > > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
            > >
            > > <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
            > >
            > > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@> sachagriffin007@
            > >
            > > Office: 404-551-4275

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2012
              Hans, how about posting 100% crops of a corner or something?
              Your samples are huge and take a long time to download.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2012

                Pretty crappy image Hans for a comparison, little good subject matter to see aberration and the background layer one is over sharpened and has sharpening halos comparatively.

                I still think Layer 1 is better in aberration.. but its close enough not to care about any more.

                Thanks for the examples.

                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2012

                  > Pretty crappy image Hans for a comparison, little good subject matter to see
                  > aberration and the background layer one is over sharpened and has sharpening
                  > halos comparatively.
                  >
                  > I still think Layer 1 is better in aberration.. but its close enough not to
                  > care about any more.

                  Layer 1 is the 6.7 auto correction for the Tokina.

                  Sharpening is set exactly the same , if you can see a difference it is because it has been changed in Camera Raw.

                  I used a high setting of 114/0.6 because it makes CA more visible.

                  The image is chosen because it is typical for the worst problem the blue fringe which is not CA and has not been changed in the new camera Raw. It is still the same option to choose in the manual settings.
                  The Auto CA is an option in the profile settings which is completely wrong of course as many people never will find it. It should be together with Defringe.

                  The Nikon 10.5 example was auto for the background image. Unfortunately I forgot to change the colorprofile to the same so colors are not the same. I believe the difference you se is more because of this than the CA.

                  Hans

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 4, 2012

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Pretty crappy image Hans for a comparison, little good subject matter to see
                    > > aberration and the background layer one is over sharpened and has sharpening
                    > > halos comparatively.
                    > >
                    > > I still think Layer 1 is better in aberration.. but its close enough not to
                    > > care about any more.
                    >

                    > Layer 1 is the 6.7 auto correction for the Tokina.
                    >
                    > Sharpening is set exactly the same , if you can see a difference it is because it has been changed in Camera Raw.
                    >
                    > I used a high setting of 114/0.6 because it makes CA more visible.
                    >
                    > The image is chosen because it is typical for the worst problem the blue fringe which is not CA and has not been changed in the new camera Raw. It is still the same option to choose in the manual settings.
                    > The Auto CA is an option in the profile settings which is completely wrong of course as many people never will find it. It should be together with Defringe.
                    >

                    > The Nikon 10.5 example was auto for the background image. Unfortunately I forgot to change the colorprofile to the same so colors are not the same. I believe the difference you se is more because of this than the CA.

                    I have updated the Nikon version converted with exactly the same color settings.
                    I am not able to see any differences unless I go to 400%.

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 4, 2012

                      > Hans, how about posting 100% crops of a corner or something?
                      > Your samples are huge and take a long time to download.

                      Ok here is a cropped version of the Nikon 10.5mm, 10 mb download.

                      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCAsmall.tif

                      Hans

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 4, 2012
                        Thanks. My opinion is that while they are not perfectly corrected for CA -- they are pretty darn good. Both of the crops. I can't tell the difference between them if there is a difference.

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 4, 2012

                          That looks like a better comparison.

                          So the moral of the story is “click it and forget about it”.

                          Thank you  again for the samples.

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 4, 2012
                            Am 04.05.2012 19:03, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
                            > I'm not seeing huge differences between the two

                            I'm not surprised. I guess they do linear scaling of the channels, just
                            like the manual version, too. I did no direct comparison, but the
                            automatic correction of my Zenitar was ok - about the same what I could
                            achieve with any linear correction, be it ACR or any other raw converter.

                            The Zenitar is especially complicated, since it shows red-cyan fringing
                            in the very corners and blue-yellow fringing further to the middle. This
                            kind of CA is fully correctable only with non-linear techniques like
                            f.e. panotools plugins or tca_correct offer (basically a lens distortion
                            correction for the red and blue channel only) - unfortunately not for raw.

                            BTW.: RawTherapee has a non-linear automatic CA correction since more
                            than a year, which corrects the Zenitar very well. Details can be found
                            further down on http://rawtherapee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2572
                            Unfortunately it fails sometimes.

                            Since ACR uses linear correction it is probably more robust and
                            (hopefully) won't fail that easy...

                          • Michel Thoby
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 5, 2012
                              Sacha,
                              Le 4 mai 2012 à 22:32, Sacha Griffin a écrit :

                              That looks like a better comparison.

                              So the moral of the story is “click it and forget about it”.

                              I do not have PS CS5 and did not test ACR 6.7 against ACR 6.6.
                              Aroused by the new Color Fringe Correction Controls, I have thus read the Adobe Lightroom Journal (April 25, 2012) with interest: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/
                              While the presented cases studies are truly impressive and  almost looking like a real breakthrough, the Adobe's suggested workflow is not as simple as what you propose:
                              <<
                              1. Do overall color and tone corrections first (e.g., Basic panel, Tone Curve panel, etc.).
                              2. Turn on profile-based lens corrections (for distortion and vignetting), if needed.
                              3. Turn on lateral CA correction (check the “Remove Chromatic Aberration” box), if needed.
                              4. Apply global Defringe, if needed.
                              5. Apply local Defringe, if needed.

                              I dare to think that [if needed] might need to be replaced in many normal circumstances by [as needed]. Defringe control requires actuation of up to four different sliders and this might be a fair effort to do for having better image than it is presently possible.

                              Michel
                            • Sacha Griffin
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 5, 2012
                                We were talking about the remove chromatic aberration checkbox, not the axial aberration / defringe sliders.
                                But fascinating read. Looks like will notice this type of aberration forever now.

                                Sacha Griffin
                                Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

                              • Antonio Garbasso
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 5, 2012
                                  About longitudinal CA it seems that Lightroom 4.1 CR2 (its a beta and fully downloadable from here:
                                  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html )
                                  can correct it nicely, and also the purple(blue) fringing is well corrected.
                                  Some more words about it:
                                  http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

                                  Toni
                                • Hans
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2012
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Garbasso <list@...> wrote:

                                    > About longitudinal CA it seems that Lightroom 4.1 CR2 (its a beta and fully downloadable from here:
                                    > http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html )
                                    > can correct it nicely, and also the purple(blue) fringing is well corrected.
                                    > Some more words about it:
                                    > http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

                                    I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                                    I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.

                                    Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.

                                    Hans
                                  • Michel Thoby
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2012

                                      Le 7 mai 2012 à 15:06, Hans a écrit :

                                      I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                                      I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.

                                      Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.

                                      Hans

                                      Release Candidates of ACR 7.1 and of DNG 7.1 are downloadable at  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
                                      That's may be what you are looking for?

                                      Michel
                                    • Hans
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 7, 2012
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                                        > Le 7 mai 2012 à 15:06, Hans a écrit :
                                        >
                                        > > I just discovered that Photoshop CS6 has been released for download today and I just installed it as trial.
                                        > > I was hoping that they had already updated the ACR 7 with the new defringe options but no it is still same as the 6.7 update for CS5.
                                        > >
                                        > > Update price has taken a large jump upwards and after a short look at it I can not see any improvement that is worth it. Lets hope that actual performance for large images is improved and can be worth using the $500 upgrade price from CS5.
                                        > >
                                        > > Hans
                                        >
                                        > Release Candidates of ACR 7.1 and of DNG 7.1 are downloadable at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
                                        > That's may be what you are looking for?

                                        Downloaded and tested.
                                        Goes in the waste for me.

                                        To dangerous to work with in RAW. Removing fringe completely in corners applies very bad effects in center.

                                        I think I prefer my old methods using simple selections and saturation tool.