Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: NN M1 precision

  • Robert Lesac
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2012
      On 30.4.2012. 19:43, John Houghton wrote:
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
      > > Good enough for template stitching?
      >
      > Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden
      > (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which
      > I shot in my kitchen. That came out ok, which was encouraging: no
      > visible stitching errors. Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and
      > camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at
      > Barford, and they, too came out rather well. This is one (no control
      > points, and straight out of PTGui):
      >
      > http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm
      >
      > I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown
      > here. The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm. Tripod:
      > Feisol CT3441S.

      That's a very good stitch if you haven't done any adjustment.
      Can you tell me how many photos did you take?

      --

      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
        > That's a very good stitch if you haven't done any adjustment.
        > Can you tell me how many photos did you take?

        No adjustment. I took 6 shots around at pitch 0° One zenith at +75° and two nadirs at -90° (one rotated by 180°). I also took a shifted viewpoint nadir shot, but that needed a few control points to align it with one of the two nadir shots. The viewpoint patched nadir version is at:

        http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps-vp.htm

        (And before someone says that you can manage without the two nadir shots by tilting the horizonal row down by 10 or 15°, I do know that but prefer to have a smaller zenith hole to fill when there are clouds blowing across above, which are a headache to deal with).

        John
      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2012
          Raw precision is a chimera. When you reach 200pixel/mm on a sensor, every imperfection will lead to small misalignements.

          2012/4/27 Robert Lesac <robert@...>
          On 27.4.2012. 15:40, Hans wrote:
          > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
          >  >
          >  > Hi,
          >  > let's try a new thread, last one got derailed a bit.
          >  > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
          >  > Good enough for template stitching?
          >  > Thanks!
          >
          > To do template stitching with PTGui you do not need a perfect rotator.
          > It can easy be done with any of the NodalNinja RD rotatorsor the
          > original old Manfrotto rotator or the 360precision Adjuste or any other
          > panohead with a decent rotator..
          >
          > Its all about learning how PTGui batchstitching works.

          I'm aware of it, but I'm interested in the raw precision.

          --

          Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional