Re: NN M1 precision

  • pedro_silva58
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2012
      greetings!

      that is indeed "astonishingly good...", but it may also be slightly misleading.
      when looking at images such as these, in the context of discussions on equipment, people sometimes forget the most important component of the chain: the human behind it all. just because the honorable johnh can get these results, does not mean that i, using the same equipment, would get equally good results. i know you know this, but perhaps a reminder is not out of order...
      cheers,
      pedro

      ps: john, why do you shower before and after making panoramas in the garden?! ;-)

      > On Tue, 01 May 2012 02:43:23 +0900, John Houghton
      > <j.houghton@...> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lesac <robert@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
      > >> Good enough for template stitching?
      > >
      > > Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden
      > > (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which
      > > I shot in my kitchen. That came out ok, which was encouraging: no
      > > visible stitching errors. Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and
      > > camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at
      > > Barford, and they, too came out rather well. This is one (no control
      > > points, and straight out of PTGui):
      > >
      > > http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm
      > >
      > > I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown
      > > here. The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm.
      > > Tripod: Feisol CT3441S.
      >
      > That really is astonishingly good for a pure template-generated panorama
      > with no control points. I wish there were some way for templates to work
      > with hand-held monopod sequences. <wry grin>
      >
      > Roger W.
      >
      > --
      > Business: www.adex-japan.com
      > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      > Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

    • Robert Lesac
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2012
        On 30.4.2012. 19:43, John Houghton wrote:
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
        > > Good enough for template stitching?
        >
        > Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden
        > (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which
        > I shot in my kitchen. That came out ok, which was encouraging: no
        > visible stitching errors. Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and
        > camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at
        > Barford, and they, too came out rather well. This is one (no control
        > points, and straight out of PTGui):
        >
        > http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm
        >
        > I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown
        > here. The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm. Tripod:
        > Feisol CT3441S.

        That's a very good stitch if you haven't done any adjustment.
        Can you tell me how many photos did you take?

        --

        Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2012
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
          > That's a very good stitch if you haven't done any adjustment.
          > Can you tell me how many photos did you take?

          No adjustment. I took 6 shots around at pitch 0° One zenith at +75° and two nadirs at -90° (one rotated by 180°). I also took a shifted viewpoint nadir shot, but that needed a few control points to align it with one of the two nadir shots. The viewpoint patched nadir version is at:

          http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps-vp.htm

          (And before someone says that you can manage without the two nadir shots by tilting the horizonal row down by 10 or 15°, I do know that but prefer to have a smaller zenith hole to fill when there are clouds blowing across above, which are a headache to deal with).

          John
        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2012
            Raw precision is a chimera. When you reach 200pixel/mm on a sensor, every imperfection will lead to small misalignements.

            2012/4/27 Robert Lesac <robert@...>
            On 27.4.2012. 15:40, Hans wrote:
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
            >  >
            >  > Hi,
            >  > let's try a new thread, last one got derailed a bit.
            >  > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
            >  > Good enough for template stitching?
            >  > Thanks!
            >
            > To do template stitching with PTGui you do not need a perfect rotator.
            > It can easy be done with any of the NodalNinja RD rotatorsor the
            > original old Manfrotto rotator or the 360precision Adjuste or any other
            > panohead with a decent rotator..
            >
            > Its all about learning how PTGui batchstitching works.

            I'm aware of it, but I'm interested in the raw precision.

            --

            Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional