Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: FEISOL CM-1473 monopod with legs, any good?

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 28 5:30 PM
      I have found a low-cost combination of tripod and monopod that works very well with my four-around panoramas. I use a small tripod, with short legs of the sort often used to hold lighting units in studios, with a ball head on top of which I attach my monopod. I have Velcro'd a bubble level to the shaft of the monopod and rely on this to get the shaft truly vertical. The ball head I unlock so that the shaft turns freely about a spot that doesn't move. I found that when I turned the monopod on its normal rubber-clad foot, it would often "walk" a little--enough to make stitching of seams crossing close objects a real pain. With this light and eminently portable combination I regularly get average CP displacements of about one pixel with a maximum of about five. "Very good."

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 29, 2012, at 2:14 AM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

      Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long monopod.
      @Jurgen,
      keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
      @Hans,
      I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the Venice meeting. But I never mounted  it with the original column and the rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
      Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
      This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the monopod. I think my way  is less confortable, but more simple and secure. Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
      @all,
      I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos, one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly attatched to.

      --
      Luca Vascon.

      www.nuovostudio.it
      www.officinepanottiche.com

    • Hans
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 29 10:58 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

        > Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long
        > monopod.
        > @Jurgen,
        > keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with
        > a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
        > @Hans,
        > I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted
        > as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the
        > Venice meeting. But I never mounted it with the original column and the
        > rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
        > Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and
        > attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
        > This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and
        > Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod
        > column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the
        > monopod. I think my way is less confortable, but more simple and secure.
        > Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
        > @all,

        I done several versions.

        Here is my latest. A superlight travelset. Just got it and have not used it much yet.
        Long winter. Tomorrow spring is here they say so maybe.
        You need to be a little patient though if you need to shoot log exposures,
        http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/cullmann+giotto.jpg

        Hans

        > I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos,
        > one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly
        > attatched to.
        >
        > --
        > Luca Vascon.
        >
        > www.nuovostudio.it
        > www.officinepanottiche.com

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30 11:42 AM
          Nice!!
          Do you use the G3?! I own a GF2 and a EPL1 (Oly) and the Samyang 7.5 that is wonderful.
          I'm thinking hard, if I'm to give up all APSC Canon system and keep only fullframe and a mirrorless.
          I'm waiting for the GH3 to see what it takes, how it does compare with Nex7 etc. and then I'll make up my mind. I'm very interested about video performances too.

          2012/4/29 Hans <hans@...>

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

          > Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long
          > monopod.
          > @Jurgen,
          > keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with
          > a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
          > @Hans,
          > I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted
          > as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the
          > Venice meeting. But I never mounted  it with the original column and the
          > rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
          > Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and
          > attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
          > This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and
          > Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod
          > column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the
          > monopod. I think my way  is less confortable, but more simple and secure.
          > Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
          > @all,

          I done several versions.

          Here is my latest. A superlight travelset. Just got it and have not used it  much yet.
          Long winter. Tomorrow spring is here they say so maybe.
          You need to be a little patient though if you need to shoot log exposures,
          http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/cullmann+giotto.jpg

          Hans

          > I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos,
          > one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly
          > attatched to.
          >
          > --
          > Luca Vascon.
          >
          > www.nuovostudio.it
          > www.officinepanottiche.com

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Luca Vascon.

          www.nuovostudio.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Wim
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2012
            Is this an idea ? very sturdy and easy to handle.
            (Feisol tripod + Fanotec pole + pole rotator + tripod adapter)

            http://tinyurl.com/7n3qddl
            (3 images)

            Wim

            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2012