Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: FEISOL CM-1473 monopod with legs, any good?

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 27 1:08 PM
      I have several things I use on it, depending on the situation. 360Precision Absolute and Adjuste, a Monfrotto ProBall 308RC, with its plate, my Really Right Stuff L-Plate on my camera and and an Arca-Swiss type clamp, my Merlin/Skywatcher robotic head + Arca-Swiss rail and clamp, etc.

      John

      John Riley
      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
      http://4pi-vr.com
      johnriley@...
      (h)864-461-3504
      (c)864-431-7075
      (w)864-503-5775

      On Apr 27, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:

      Mr. Reilly, what kind of a quick-release do you use with this?

      --
      --Peter

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 27 2:25 PM
        Am 27.04.2012 08:44, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
        > Hey Bostjan, there is a German Feisol shop

        They deliver to german speaking countries only, but there is a European
        representation (in english) as well: http://www.feisoleurope.com/

      • Paul Fretheim
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 28 6:01 AM
          I have a four section carbon fiber Feisol tripod I bought to take on a
          160 mile walk in the Karakoram mountains of northern Kashmir in 2007. I
          use it all the time and have not had any problems with it.

          Paul Fretheim
        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 28 10:14 AM
            Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long monopod.
            @Jurgen,
            keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
            @Hans,
            I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the Venice meeting. But I never mounted  it with the original column and the rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
            Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
            This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the monopod. I think my way  is less confortable, but more simple and secure. Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
            @all,
            I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos, one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly attatched to.

            --
            Luca Vascon.

            www.nuovostudio.it
            www.officinepanottiche.com

          • Roger D Williams
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 28 5:30 PM
              I have found a low-cost combination of tripod and monopod that works very well with my four-around panoramas. I use a small tripod, with short legs of the sort often used to hold lighting units in studios, with a ball head on top of which I attach my monopod. I have Velcro'd a bubble level to the shaft of the monopod and rely on this to get the shaft truly vertical. The ball head I unlock so that the shaft turns freely about a spot that doesn't move. I found that when I turned the monopod on its normal rubber-clad foot, it would often "walk" a little--enough to make stitching of seams crossing close objects a real pain. With this light and eminently portable combination I regularly get average CP displacements of about one pixel with a maximum of about five. "Very good."

              Roger W.

              Sent from my iPad

              On Apr 29, 2012, at 2:14 AM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29 10:58 AM
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long
                > monopod.
                > @Jurgen,
                > keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with
                > a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
                > @Hans,
                > I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted
                > as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the
                > Venice meeting. But I never mounted it with the original column and the
                > rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
                > Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and
                > attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
                > This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and
                > Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod
                > column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the
                > monopod. I think my way is less confortable, but more simple and secure.
                > Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
                > @all,

                I done several versions.

                Here is my latest. A superlight travelset. Just got it and have not used it much yet.
                Long winter. Tomorrow spring is here they say so maybe.
                You need to be a little patient though if you need to shoot log exposures,
                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/cullmann+giotto.jpg

                Hans

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 30 11:42 AM
                  Nice!!
                  Do you use the G3?! I own a GF2 and a EPL1 (Oly) and the Samyang 7.5 that is wonderful.
                  I'm thinking hard, if I'm to give up all APSC Canon system and keep only fullframe and a mirrorless.
                  I'm waiting for the GH3 to see what it takes, how it does compare with Nex7 etc. and then I'll make up my mind. I'm very interested about video performances too.

                  2012/4/29 Hans <hans@...>

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                  > Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long
                  > monopod.
                  > @Jurgen,
                  > keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with
                  > a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
                  > @Hans,
                  > I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted
                  > as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the
                  > Venice meeting. But I never mounted  it with the original column and the
                  > rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
                  > Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and
                  > attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
                  > This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and
                  > Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod
                  > column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the
                  > monopod. I think my way  is less confortable, but more simple and secure.
                  > Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
                  > @all,

                  I done several versions.

                  Here is my latest. A superlight travelset. Just got it and have not used it  much yet.
                  Long winter. Tomorrow spring is here they say so maybe.
                  You need to be a little patient though if you need to shoot log exposures,
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/cullmann+giotto.jpg

                  Hans

                  > I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos,
                  > one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly
                  > attatched to.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Luca Vascon.
                  >
                  > www.nuovostudio.it
                  > www.officinepanottiche.com

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  Luca Vascon.

                  www.nuovostudio.it
                  www.officinepanottiche.com

                • Wim
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2012
                    Is this an idea ? very sturdy and easy to handle.
                    (Feisol tripod + Fanotec pole + pole rotator + tripod adapter)

                    http://tinyurl.com/7n3qddl
                    (3 images)

                    Wim

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 5, 2012