FEISOL CM-1473 monopod with legs, any good?

  • luca vascon
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 26, 2012

      I've seen this:

      I've touched and tried feisol products in the past. All my kudos to them. Simple, good, welldone sturdy and lightweight. Not cheap but worth.
      My concern is it will be wobbling like all legged monopods.
      But the legs are long, have a sturdy mechanics, etc. etc.
      And looks like it is done for us.
      --
      Luca Vascon.

      www.nuovostudio.it
      www.officinepanottiche.com

    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 26, 2012
        I have the Feisol CT-3442 and love it. Light, works well, strong, very well designed and manufactured. Most of the time, I use it with just the plain, flat top plate to keep down the weight. I also have the leveling base, which works fine, though it doesn't glide as smoothly as I would have thought it should. However, I haven't tried any other manufacturer's leveling base to compare. Swapping bases is a breeze and very secure.

        I think it is really hard to beat for the price.

        John

        John Riley
        4Pi-VR Media Solutions
        http://4pi-vr.com
        johnriley@...
        (h)864-461-3504
        (c)864-431-7075
        (w)864-503-5775

        On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:57 AM, luca vascon wrote:

        I've seen this:

        I've touched and tried feisol products in the past. All my kudos to them. Simple, good, welldone sturdy and lightweight. Not cheap but worth.
        My concern is it will be wobbling like all legged monopods.
        But the legs are long, have a sturdy mechanics, etc. etc.
        And looks like it is done for us.
        --
        Luca Vascon.

        www.nuovostudio.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 26, 2012
          Nice product. Is is possible to get it in Europe and not been under the  usury of the EU customs and tax?

          Bostjan

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 26, 2012
            Hey Bostjan, there is a German Feisol shop http://www.feisol.de/shopping_cart.php?sort=2a&op=list

            @ Luca
            What would that be good for?
            Maximum height 205cm is not really impressive. Nor is the weight.
            It only might be handy if one is looking for a solution where one is walking around with a monopod but wants to prepared in case he wants to shoot an HDR or something that needs precise LPP position. Not sure if the thin legs will provide enough stability. Someone has to test it :)

            Cheers
            Jürgen

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27, 2012
              Viele danke Jürgen,

              I never heard for Feisol, but it seems interesting brand, but I need to get it in hand to get the impression. I found even more interesting Feisol tripod which can be hiking monopod/tripod: http://www.feisol.de/feisol-reisestativ-ct3441t-rapid-p-106.html

              Bostjan

              Maximum height 205cm is not really impressive. Nor is the weight.
              It only might be handy if one is looking for a solution where one is walking around with a monopod but wants to prepared in case he wants to shoot an HDR or something that needs precise LPP position. Not sure if the thin legs will provide enough stability. Someone has to test it :)

              Cheers
              Jürgen

              > Nice product. Is is possible to get it in Europe and not been under the  usury of the EU customs and tax?

              > Bostjan

              > ________________________________

            • Peter A. Schaible
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 27, 2012
                Mr. Reilly, what kind of a quick-release do you use with this?

                --
                --Peter
              • Hans
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 27, 2012

                  > Viele danke Jürgen,
                  >
                  > I never heard for Feisol, but it seems interesting brand, but I need to get it in hand to get the impression. I found even more interesting Feisol tripod which can be hiking monopod/tripod: http://www.feisol.de/feisol-reisestativ-ct3441t-rapid-p-106.html

                  Damned! Thats my copyright.
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/gondola/gondolashoot.html

                  Hans

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 27, 2012
                    Ups... ;)

                    Nice to know it was practiced.

                    ;) Bostjan

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 27, 2012
                      I have several things I use on it, depending on the situation. 360Precision Absolute and Adjuste, a Monfrotto ProBall 308RC, with its plate, my Really Right Stuff L-Plate on my camera and and an Arca-Swiss type clamp, my Merlin/Skywatcher robotic head + Arca-Swiss rail and clamp, etc.

                      John

                      John Riley
                      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                      http://4pi-vr.com
                      johnriley@...
                      (h)864-461-3504
                      (c)864-431-7075
                      (w)864-503-5775

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 27, 2012
                        Am 27.04.2012 08:44, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
                        > Hey Bostjan, there is a German Feisol shop

                        They deliver to german speaking countries only, but there is a European
                        representation (in english) as well: http://www.feisoleurope.com/

                      • Paul Fretheim
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 28, 2012
                          I have a four section carbon fiber Feisol tripod I bought to take on a
                          160 mile walk in the Karakoram mountains of northern Kashmir in 2007. I
                          use it all the time and have not had any problems with it.

                          Paul Fretheim
                        • luca vascon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 28, 2012
                            Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long monopod.
                            @Jurgen,
                            keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
                            @Hans,
                            I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the Venice meeting. But I never mounted  it with the original column and the rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
                            Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
                            This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the monopod. I think my way  is less confortable, but more simple and secure. Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
                            @all,
                            I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos, one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly attatched to.

                            --
                            Luca Vascon.

                            www.nuovostudio.it
                            www.officinepanottiche.com

                          • Roger D Williams

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 29, 2012
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                                > Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long
                                > monopod.
                                > @Jurgen,
                                > keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with
                                > a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
                                > @Hans,
                                > I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted
                                > as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the
                                > Venice meeting. But I never mounted it with the original column and the
                                > rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
                                > Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and
                                > attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
                                > This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and
                                > Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod
                                > column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the
                                > monopod. I think my way is less confortable, but more simple and secure.
                                > Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
                                > @all,

                                I done several versions.

                                Here is my latest. A superlight travelset. Just got it and have not used it much yet.
                                Long winter. Tomorrow spring is here they say so maybe.
                                You need to be a little patient though if you need to shoot log exposures,
                                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/cullmann+giotto.jpg

                                Hans

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 30, 2012
                                  Nice!!
                                  Do you use the G3?! I own a GF2 and a EPL1 (Oly) and the Samyang 7.5 that is wonderful.
                                  I'm thinking hard, if I'm to give up all APSC Canon system and keep only fullframe and a mirrorless.
                                  I'm waiting for the GH3 to see what it takes, how it does compare with Nex7 etc. and then I'll make up my mind. I'm very interested about video performances too.

                                  2012/4/29 Hans <hans@...>

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                                  > Hmmm, my own concern was about wobbling, for the small legs, and long
                                  > monopod.
                                  > @Jurgen,
                                  > keep in mind that is a long, sturdy monopod, and that it can be paired with
                                  > a 2nd monopod reversed on it (the way I did a lot of 3m high shots)
                                  > @Hans,
                                  > I also used a small, welldone chinese tripod with a long monopod inserted
                                  > as central column (it was the right diameter), just before we made the
                                  > Venice meeting. But I never mounted  it with the original column and the
                                  > rotator between the 2, coz it was decreasing stability.
                                  > Later I also completely reversed the scheme, using larger tripods, and
                                  > attatching the camera to the small edge of the monopod..
                                  > This increases stability and highness reachable. Though Agnos rotators and
                                  > Manfrotto 300n are sturdy enough, I always prefer to rotate the tripod
                                  > column and to have a straight connection between the tripod column and the
                                  > monopod. I think my way  is less confortable, but more simple and secure.
                                  > Did you upgraded that setup after the gondola shot? what directions took?
                                  > @all,

                                  I done several versions.

                                  Here is my latest. A superlight travelset. Just got it and have not used it  much yet.
                                  Long winter. Tomorrow spring is here they say so maybe.
                                  You need to be a little patient though if you need to shoot log exposures,
                                  http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/cullmann+giotto.jpg

                                  Hans

                                  > I used Feisol once. My impression was very good. I have many Manfrottos,
                                  > one Gitzo, a Giottos, and 2 Berlebach, that are the ones that I'm mostly
                                  > attatched to.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Luca Vascon.
                                  >
                                  > www.nuovostudio.it
                                  > www.officinepanottiche.com

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                     Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                     PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  --
                                  Luca Vascon.

                                  www.nuovostudio.it
                                  www.officinepanottiche.com

                                • Wim
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 2, 2012
                                    Is this an idea ? very sturdy and easy to handle.
                                    (Feisol tripod + Fanotec pole + pole rotator + tripod adapter)

                                    http://tinyurl.com/7n3qddl
                                    (3 images)

                                    Wim

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 5, 2012