3D photo tours in Google Maps

  • erik_leeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2012
      Will 3D imaging replace static 360 degree panoramas?
      It looks like it's only a matter of time.

      Quote...

      Visit global landmarks with photo tours in Google Maps
      Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 6:00 AM

      Every year, millions of people pack their bags and head to far-off places to enjoy sites and cultures different from their own. While there, they snap photos to document their trip and share their excursions online. Yet none of these individual photos captures the experience of actually being immersed in a specific location. With today's introduction of photo tours, a feature of Google Maps that guides you through a 3D photo scene, we're one step closer.

      ...Unquote

      <http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/04/visit-global-landmarks-with-photo-tours.html>

      Erik Leeman
    • Willy Kaemena
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2012
        Erik
        did you notice  that  Streetview  in Google Maps  has  3D ( switchable in contextual menu)  which looks  pretty  cool with  red/green  glasses

        Willy

        On Apr 26, 2012, at 10:57, erik_leeman wrote:

        Will 3D imaging replace static 360 degree panoramas?
        It looks like it's only a matter of time.

        Quote...

        Visit global landmarks with photo tours in Google Maps
        Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 6:00 AM

        Every year, millions of people pack their bags and head to far-off places to enjoy sites and cultures different from their own. While there, they snap photos to document their trip and share their excursions online. Yet none of these individual photos captures the experience of actually being immersed in a specific location. With today's introduction of photo tours, a feature of Google Maps that guides you through a 3D photo scene, we're one step closer.

        ...Unquote

        <http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/04/visit-global-landmarks-with-photo-tours.html>

        Erik Leeman

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2012
          On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:57:24 +0900, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...>
          wrote:

          > Will 3D imaging replace static 360 degree panoramas?
          > It looks like it's only a matter of time.
          >
          > Quote...
          >
          > Visit global landmarks with photo tours in Google Maps
          > Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 6:00 AM
          >
          > Every year, millions of people pack their bags and head to far-off
          > places to enjoy sites and cultures different from their own. While
          > there, they snap photos to document their trip and share their
          > excursions online. Yet none of these individual photos captures the
          > experience of actually being immersed in a specific location. With
          > today's introduction of photo tours, a feature of Google Maps that
          > guides you through a 3D photo scene, we're one step closer.
          >
          > ...Unquote
          >
          > <http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/04/visit-global-landmarks-with-photo-tours.html>

          That's interesting, Erik. As you will remember, I was keen to integrate
          videos into my panorama tours a couple of years ago.

          As I see it, there are at least two ways of going about a video photo
          tour. One is to take a 360-degree video at successive spots, and have
          people able to look around and watch what is going on at each spot. I
          imagine the video would loop... and people would move on when they
          realized they were seeing the same thing over again. This is not so
          different from what a "static" panorama-based tour does, except that
          people look around at a static scene. This currently has advantages in
          the quality of the image (how far you can zoom in, what is visible,
          etc). There is also the short-term advantage of much smaller files,
          although the way things are going file size is not going to be a factor
          for very long.

          The other approach is to thread your way through a tourist site with
          a 360-degree video camera, allowing people to look around at the
          passing scene, much as visitors to London do on an open-top double-
          decker bus. This could be a lot of fun, but would necessarily involve
          very careful choice of the route...

          If the latter becomes the mainstream, then what WE call panoramas
          may be relegated to "spots" in the movie much as non-panoramic photos
          or information are relegated to "spots" in our panoramic tours.

          I don't see panorama photographers being put out of work, but they
          will surely have to learn a whole bag of new tricks.

          Roger W.

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2012
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

            > Erik
            > did you notice that Streetview in Google Maps has 3D ( switchable in contextual menu) which looks pretty cool with red/green glasses

            It looks like all the street view panoramas has gone through an optimizer.
            Saturation is increased, especially green has got quite a lot more.

            And the panning performance is far better then I seen before. At least thats what I see on Mac.

            Also there are new satellite photos. My house is now updated to the changes I did 4 years ago and my car bought in 2009 i on them. Also much higher resolution in the big cities.

            They need to start doing blurring in the gardens looking for naked sunbathers.

            Hans

            > Willy
            >

            > On Apr 26, 2012, at 10:57, erik_leeman wrote:
            >
            > > Will 3D imaging replace static 360 degree panoramas?
            > > It looks like it's only a matter of time.
            > >
            > > Quote...
            > >
            > > Visit global landmarks with photo tours in Google Maps
            > > Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 6:00 AM
            > >
            > > Every year, millions of people pack their bags and head to far-off places to enjoy sites and cultures different from their own. While there, they snap photos to document their trip and share their excursions online. Yet none of these individual photos captures the experience of actually being immersed in a specific location. With today's introduction of photo tours, a feature of Google Maps that guides you through a 3D photo scene, we're one step closer.
            > >
            > > ...Unquote
            > >
            > > <http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/04/visit-global-landmarks-with-photo-tours.html>
            > >
            > > Erik Leeman
            > >
            > > _

          • prague
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2012
              This 3d photosynth-like navigation of UGC photos has been in google maps for 2 or 3 years. looks like they're re-launching it in WebGL however.