D800E with moire

  • john law
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
      D800E with added moire!

      The rain has stopped at last & here is a landscape near Bath - 16mm - 6 round + z & n (19652 x 9826 - 1.08GB from PTGui) Some moire can be seen on the path overlay - I could live with that but will try to remove it with Lightroom later.

      JL

      John Law ARPS
      JL Panoramas
      www.john-law.org.uk
      mail@...
      t:   01225 339590
      m: 07814 993904

    • awirealvr@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
        Most moire I see is created by interaction of my screen pixels with the path overlay, it disappears at a different zoom factor.

        Certainly not the moire I remember from the Kodak pro14n

        Andre

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, john law <mail@...> wrote:

        > D800E with added moire!
        >
        > http://john-law.net/projects/e-moire/index.html
        >
        > The rain has stopped at last & here is a landscape near Bath - 16mm - 6 round + z & n (19652 x 9826 - 1.08GB from PTGui) Some moire can be seen on the path overlay - I could live with that but will try to remove it with Lightroom later.
        >
        > JL
        >
        > John Law ARPS
        > JL Panoramas
        > www.john-law.org.uk
        > mail@...
        > t: 01225 339590
        > m: 07814 993904

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
          Nice dynamic or was HDR? Btw... why don't you use 6*(-15)+2*(+65) to avoid the panohed image on nadir?

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
            Am 24.04.2012 12:35, schrieb john law:
            > http://john-law.net/projects/e-moire/index.html

            It's very faint! Only visible at full zoom in. Perhaps not the right
            kind of subject. And of course it's a question of what the raw converter
            does. There are interpolation algorithms that suppress moire, too.

          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
              *E* forever!!!

              Il giorno 24 aprile 2012 22:35, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> ha scritto:
              Am 24.04.2012 12:35, schrieb john law:
              > http://john-law.net/projects/e-moire/index.html

              It's very faint! Only visible at full zoom in. Perhaps not the right
              kind of subject. And of course it's a question of what the raw converter
              does. There are interpolation algorithms that suppress moire, too.

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              Luca Vascon.

              www.nuovostudio.it
              www.officinepanottiche.com

            • Pierlucio Pellissier
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                Johan wrote :
                > Some moire can be seen on the path overlay -

                and André

                > Most moire I see is created by interaction of my screen pixels with the path overlay, it disappears at a different zoom factor.

                SAme thing as André here, when I zoom in the moiré disappears

                Beautiful country & pano John, Thanks

                Pierlucio Pellissier
                pierluciop@...
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                  Am 25.04.2012 13:10, schrieb Pierlucio Pellissier:
                  >> > Most moire I see is created by interaction of my screen pixels with the path overlay, it disappears at a different zoom factor.
                  > SAme thing as André here, when I zoom in the moiré disappears

                  What you see is aliasing caused by the viewer. moiré is colored
                  normally, since it's caused by the bayer pattern (in this case I see
                  faint blue).

                • awirealvr@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                    I have to disagree with Erik, moire is not necessarily colored.

                    In essence a moire pattern is caused by interference of two interacting "grids". Either monochrome or color. This will cause a cululative pattern on top of the two grids.

                    Moire in a digital image is caused by interaction of a grid like structure in the subject with the grid structre of the beyer pattern in the camera.

                    Moire can also be caused by interaction of your screen grid with a gridlike structure in an image shown on your screen.

                    Andre

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                      Am 25.04.2012 22:01, schrieb awirealvr@...:
                      > I have to disagree with Erik, moire is not necessarily colored.

                      You are absolutely right with all of your points. However, we search for
                      bayer pattern moiré here, which usually is colored. Even if you overlay
                      a strict black and white pattern on a bayer sensor, the moiré will be
                      colored.

                    • Fernando Chaves
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                        > I have to disagree with Erik, moire is not necessarily colored.

                        You are absolutely right with all of your points. However, we search for
                        bayer pattern moiré here, which usually is colored. Even if you overlay
                        a strict black and white pattern on a bayer sensor, the moiré will be
                        colored.

                        Hi Erick,
                        At the following link you can get a real word example to illustrate your
                        point and a raw image, including an explanation about moiré, a raw file,
                        etc:

                        http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm
                        scroll the page down to the "Area 3" example.

                        Best regards,
                        Fernando
                      • awirealvr@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 26, 2012
                          Ok, yes I agree on that, i'am not looking to get into a moire fight ;-)

                          Looking at the image ot the gridded path, I didn't see a recognisable beyer pattern moire.
                          So i'll defenitely go for an "E".
                          In the past I've had some really bad examples of moire with the kodak pro14n. I think this was the only other camera without an AA filter.

                          Andre