Re: OT GPS fields

  • prague
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 19 8:49 AM
      this will be cool to align a pano using IMU data. unfortunately, you'll need a $500 IMU to get data that is even remotely usable.

      Maybe in a few years it will be a reality for hackers, and maybe in 5-10 years (seriously) it will be a part of cameras.

      Oh, you can already do it with a smartphone camera, of course :) (if you have the proper kind of app that will write this IMU data to the image metadata)

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "g8dhe" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mark,
      > Yup, we have to start somewhere! Its also on the Pano2VR radar, and has been for some time, but its less critical once its been thru the stitcher's, but still handy to specify a starting position to view a Pano with.
      >
      > Geoff

    • g8dhe
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 19 9:41 AM
        Jeff, I wouldn't expect any sensibly priced system to be capable of providing perfect template working.
        My purpose at this stage is to be able to place the images in roughly the right position, much the same as using a grid, simply to avoid false matches when the images are not aligned at all using normal automatically placed CP's.
        The magnetic sensors in use currently are quite adequate for the above, but the speed of updating could be improved, at present the systems tend to work on the GPS concept of providing async. updates rather than taking the reading at the point the shutter is pressed, but this will require the GPS and compass systems to be integrated with the camera, but that we will have to wait for!
      • Gerhard Killesreiter
        • prague
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20 9:15 AM
            resolution != accuracy!!!!

            the sensors on your phone have at least 0.01 degree resolution, but the results are crap unless you do some very smart filtering.

            and even then you will get gyro drift.

            the reason an app like photosynth works at all is because they are doing a lot of realtime image matching to keep the camera viewfinder aligned with what you have already shot. don't let the simplicity of the user experience fool you - what they have built is an engineering marvel!

            generally, the pitch and roll data can be fairly accurate without any very complex filtering, because they are using gravity. but the yaw - this uses the compass or the gyroscope (and the accelerometer to some degree) and both of these are subject to drift, or being wrong.

            look for ben newhouse's tech talk if you want to learn more :)