Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 18 1:33 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Simon" <simon.wheaton@...> wrote:

      > What rectilinear lens has the best image quality around this focal length, for similar use on a D800E?
      >
      > I have a 20mm AIS manual focus lens, but would like lens with best possible image quality around this length or a little wider.

      The Nikkor 14-24mm is known to be one of the sharpest lenses in this area.
      But it is heavy and requires a panohead with a long spherical arm.
      As far as I remember the setting is around 135mm on the D700

      And you need of course more than the 6+1 images which you need for a fisheye.

      Hans

      > Thanks,
      > Simon
      > Canberra
      > AUSTRALIA

      > > I am afraid there is none. Unless you can convert a Canon 8-15mm to Nikon.
      > >
      > > Sigma 15mm should be the same as Nikon 16mm but I never seen a side by side test.
      > >
      > > Hans

    • luca vascon
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 28 9:32 AM
        They DO have quality check problems. The better the lens, the more complicated it is, the worst for QC... See the 12-24 fullframe, reported to be one of the most incredibly good ultrawides ever. One over 3 is not perfect. They are not lens to be bought 2nd hand.
        ;-)

        2012/4/27 Roger D Williams <roger@...>

        From the experience of users in Japan, Sigma has an excellent record in admitting poor product performance and prompt replacement within the warranty period. If I was disappointed with the performance of a lens that others had found "outstanding" I would be back at the ship demanding a quality check and either adjustment or replacement. This might be harder for purchasers overseas... How would you pay for the to-ing and fro-ing of products that proved to be within spec?

        That said, they do appear to have a quality control problem. My own 8mm f/3.5 Sigma is on a par with the excellent 10.5mm Nikon fisheye.

        Roger W.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Apr 25, 2012, at 5:58 PM, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

        My 15mm 2.8 is SO good it can be second only to 16mm Zeiss Contax. Many others here had quite different experiences...

        Il giorno 24 aprile 2012 07:32, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> ha scritto:

        At f22 the images would be too soft, especially with lenses like Sigma 8 mm. But Sigma is a lottery anyway... I had two 8 mm Sigmas and one was with excellent sharpness when the other was a bit too soft.

        Bostjan