Noise comparison between Canon 5D Mk III and Nikon D800

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2012

      I just saw this link on Canon Rumors:

      http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III/Canon_5D3_vs_Nikon_D800_noise.shtml

      Basically, it looks like if you are looking for high resolution, the D800 delivers, but if you want low noise, the 5D Mk III delivers.

      Mark

      www.studio360.pro

    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2012
        I'd judge Nikon usable maximum at 3200, but I'd prefer to keep under 800.
        Canon would have my preference point under 1600, maximum 6400.

        --
        Luca Vascon.

        www.nuovostudio.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2012

          Almost all these noise comparisons fail to realize that the images will be used in either print or digital formats.

          The comparisons are 100% crops, yet when we’ll go to use the images, we’ll be using a set pixel or print size.

          The comparisons must be resized to match to provide real world useful information.

          If we pretend the Nikon is a 1 megapixel camera instead, the noise obviously wouldn’t be that great.

          So the Nikon is probably has a lower effective noise level.

          Best Regards,

          Sacha Griffin

          http://www.seeit360.com

          http://twitter.com/SeeIt360