Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT HTML problems

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012

      On Apr 4, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Willy Kaemena wrote:

      I want to redirect    visitors  which still  coming to my soon ending old homepage, to my new page. One  easy way is to  use   Meta Refresh Tag, which normally works fine.  BUT  now  I have  the following problem:

      if I click  this link  on iPhone / iPad  or I.E. on Windows, everything is fine  and the visitor  is redirected to the new URL

      When  using Safari / Firefox/ Chrome  on WIN or Mac  what happens  is that the index file is being downloaded.

      Any  idea  what is going wrong?

      Hmmmmm...

      That page is returning it's content type as "application/octet-stream", which is why it's downloading on most browsers.

      iOS browsers and WIndows/IE are instead ignoring the content type (which is set wrong) and sniffing the file for its actual type - this has long been considered a *problem* with IE, but in this case is giving you desirable results (Microsoft has a habit of bending the rules - and, in many cases, for good reasons... many web servers are still misconfigured and report bad content-types, so IE tries to outsmart the server... usually it's OK, like in this case, although sometimes it's a real problem).

      It's not clear to me *why* this is happening, though - your root page (http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/index.html) is returning an appropriate content-type (text/html).

      Try opening that page in a text editor and resaving it - I can't imagine why that'd help, but I can't think of anything else (since .Mac doesn't give you access to the server configuration).

      HTH,

      Roger
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012
        Use a JavaScript redirect instead. Simpler and should work everywhere.

        Sacha Griffin
        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012

          On Apr 4, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Sacha Griffin wrote:

          Use a JavaScript redirect instead. Simpler and should work everywhere.

          The problem isn't the meta refresh, it's the content-type that page is being served up as. A JavaScript redirect will have the same problem - the parent HTML page will still be delivered as application/octet-stream, so the refresh won't ever even get a chance.

          Unless, for some reason, Apple is serving up pages with meta refresh'es with the wrong content-type on purpose, but Willie's root page disproves that notion.

          -R
        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012
            Yours:
            <HTML><HEAD><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="4;url=http://www.kaemena360.com/360/GuenzburgTour"></HEAD><BODY></BODY></HTML>

            Mine:
            ..
            <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT='0; URL=http://www.netzserver1.de/pg8'>

            never hat a problem with this.

            ciao
            mike

            Mit freundlichen Grüssen
            Virtugraf M. Hundrieser

            http://www.virtugraf.de
            ----------------------------
            360° VR Fotografie:
            http://www.360de.de

            NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
            http://www.abstraktfoto.de
            -----------------------------
            Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
            http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

            I want to redirect    visitors  which still  coming to my soon ending old homepage, to my new page. One  easy way is to  use   Meta Refresh Tag, which normally works fine.  BUT  now  I have  the following problem:

            if I click  this link  on iPhone / iPad  or I.E. on Windows, everything is fine  and the visitor  is redirected to the new URL

            When  using Safari / Firefox/ Chrome  on WIN or Mac  what happens  is that the index file is being downloaded.

            Any  idea  what is going wrong?

            Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012

              Looks like a server problem then..

              I uploaded the file to my server and it was normal.

              Steps to troubleshoot.. Take each action singularly from the original file.

              1.       Rename file to something normal like index2.html

              2.       Remove meta refresh tag.

              3.       Add this meta tag <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

              Best Regards,

              Sacha Griffin

              http://www.seeit360.com

              http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

              http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

              IM: sachagriffin007@...

              Office: 404-551-4275

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2012
                Thank you Roger for your insights

                nothing worked so far. I have a few other redirects  on my .Mac  which works  flawless.

                Willy

                On Apr 4, 2012, at 19:45, Roger Howard wrote:

[...]

                __
              • Roger Howard
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2012
                  On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                  Thank you Roger for your insights

                  nothing worked so far. I have a few other redirects  on my .Mac  which works  flawless.

                  Yep - all the pages on your site where redirects work are being served using the correct content-type header so it's consistent.

                  Here's something to try - I noticed the link that's *not* working ends with _swf.html...

                  Try creating a new page using the same redirect code, but including _swf.html in the filename, instead of just .html - I wonder if something on Apple's .Mac servers is so stupidly configured that they see "swf" in your URL and just decide to serve it with a content-type that would be appropriate for .swf files, but not .html.

                  -R