Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Google Art Project relaunches

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2012

      On Apr 4, 2012, at 5:31 AM, Yazan Sboul wrote:

      I'm not sure if its just plain bitching. They benefit from wide dissemination and unprecedented access. By peddling this kind of crap to the treasure houses of the world it begs the question : why? Google could do better, and they owe it to their "Clients" - even if it is free. The "bitching" is a result of the fact that we know more than others how much better it could be.

      Bingo. Google *can* do better, we all know it. They did gigapixel imaging of select works of art with great attention to detail, great care for the quality of the reproduction (which few institutions are prepared to do at such high standards - mine is a major exception in this regard as we have a first class imaging department). Likewise, the user experience is pretty good - and significantly improved since the previous version... the one weakness is the panoramic imaging - color and tonal quality, stitching, and the user interface.

      They can do better, for sure, as we all know. And Google employees are all adults who can withstand criticism.