Camera Raw now with auto CA correction

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2012
      I wanted to check some D800 Raw files and had to download the latest Beta release of Camera Raw.
      http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/?tabID=details#tabTop

      The images was from a 15mm Sigma and I could not see any CA. It turned out that Camera Raw now have auto removement. No sliders of any kind.
      You find it in the Profiles as an option to unbook. It is booked by default and the only option you have in addition is the defringe.

      Putting it in the profile option is not quite correct though I think as it works without any profiles. It should be together with the defringe.
      No exif needed . My shaved 10.5 5D and old lenses like my 30 year old Nikkor 28mm or even Pentax 67 lenses on adapters are all perfectly CA corrected automatically.

      Do not ask me how it is done.

      Hans
    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2012
        I was wandering the same thing...
        :-)

        Il giorno 04 aprile 2012 17:12, Hans <hans@...> ha scritto:
        I wanted to check some D800 Raw files and had to download the latest Beta release of Camera Raw.
        http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/?tabID=details#tabTop

        The images was from a 15mm Sigma and I could not see any CA. It turned out that Camera Raw now have auto removement. No sliders of any kind.
        You find it in the Profiles as an option to unbook. It is booked by default and the only option you have in addition is the defringe.

        Putting it in the profile option is not quite correct though I think as it works without any profiles. It should be together with the defringe.
        No exif needed . My shaved 10.5 5D and old lenses like my 30 year old Nikkor 28mm or even Pentax 67 lenses on adapters are all perfectly CA corrected automatically.

        Do not ask me how it is done.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Luca Vascon.

        www.nuovostudio.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • Willy Kaemena
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2012
          Yes I noted that when I updated my RAW... yes it works  fine ... no  fiddling anymore required.... there is a checkbox   for CA  but no settings  anymore

          Willy

          On Apr 4, 2012, at 17:12, Hans wrote:

          I wanted to check some D800 Raw files and had to download the latest Beta release of Camera Raw.
          http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/?tabID=details#tabTop

          The images was from a 15mm Sigma and I could not see any CA. It turned out that Camera Raw now have auto removement. No sliders of any kind.
          You find it in the Profiles as an option to unbook. It is booked by default and the only option you have in addition is the defringe.

          Putting it in the profile option is not quite correct though I think as it works without any profiles. It should be together with the defringe.
          No exif needed . My shaved 10.5 5D and old lenses like my 30 year old Nikkor 28mm or even Pentax 67 lenses on adapters are all perfectly CA corrected automatically.

          Do not ask me how it is done.

          Hans

        • Trausti Hraunfjord

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2012
              So spending a whole day last weekend to calibrate all of my cameras and lenses with Adobe Lens Profile Creator may not have been worth the effort?
              Still, I have good geometric distortion correction and vignetting information which I don't think Adobe could auto calculate for one-off photos.

              > I wanted to check some D800 Raw files and had to download the latest Beta release of Camera Raw.
              > http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/?tabID=details#tabTop
              >
              > The images was from a 15mm Sigma and I could not see any CA. It turned out that Camera Raw now have auto removement. No sliders of any kind.
              > You find it in the Profiles as an option to unbook. It is booked by default and the only option you have in addition is the defringe.
              >
              > Putting it in the profile option is not quite correct though I think as it works without any profiles. It should be together with the defringe.
              > No exif needed . My shaved 10.5 5D and old lenses like my 30 year old Nikkor 28mm or even Pentax 67 lenses on adapters are all perfectly CA corrected automatically.
              >
              > Do not ask me how it is done.
              >
              > Hans

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 29, 2012
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <richard_j_powell@...> wrote:

                > So spending a whole day last weekend to calibrate all of my cameras and lenses with Adobe Lens Profile Creator may not have been worth the effort?
                > Still, I have good geometric distortion correction and vignetting information which I don't think Adobe could auto calculate for one-off photos.

                The automatic CA correction is an independent option and does not really belong to the profiles.
                I think it is a failure putting it in the options for the profiles. It should have been together with the defringe option.

                > > I wanted to check some D800 Raw files and had to download the latest Beta release of Camera Raw.
                > > http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/?tabID=details#tabTop
                > >
                > > The images was from a 15mm Sigma and I could not see any CA. It turned out that Camera Raw now have auto removement. No sliders of any kind.
                > > You find it in the Profiles as an option to unbook. It is booked by default and the only option you have in addition is the defringe.
                > >
                > > Putting it in the profile option is not quite correct though I think as it works without any profiles. It should be together with the defringe.
                > > No exif needed . My shaved 10.5 5D and old lenses like my 30 year old Nikkor 28mm or even Pentax 67 lenses on adapters are all perfectly CA corrected automatically.
                > >
                > > Do not ask me how it is done.
                > >
                > > Hans

              • Christian Bloch
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 29, 2012
                  Silly question, but could that data also be used to *apply* these lens flaws to a clean photo?
                  That could be really useful for compositing.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29, 2012
                    Am 29.04.2012 11:26, schrieb Christian Bloch:

                    > Silly question, but could that data also be used to *apply* these lens
                    > flaws to a clean photo?
                    > That could be really useful for compositing.

                    What do you want to apply? Certainly not CA and lens distortion.
                    Vignetting can be easily applied but of course there are a lot of
                    plugins that do exactly that.

                    CA can be applied with any program that has manual CA correction,
                    including PTLens or any panotools GUI (hugin, PTGui, etc) if you
                    separate the channels into single images.

                    Lens distortion can be applied with panotools GUI's as well. Simply
                    enter the abc parameters manually...

                  • Christian Bloch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 29, 2012
                      Ah yeah - good point. I guess I would just invert all the measured values and enter them manually.
                      Have to try that.

                      Thanks,
                      Blochi

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 29, 2012
                        Am 29.04.2012 20:33, schrieb Christian Bloch:
                        > I guess I would just invert all the measured values and enter them manually.
                        > Have to try that.

                        For the abc parameters that won't probably work. You can get a feeling
                        what they do if you download abc.xls from http://www.4pi.org/downloads/
                        and play with the sliders.