Re: D800 with 10.5mm

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On saturday I could test the camera for around 20minutes.
      > > > WOW!
      > > > 36 megapixels, and all of them are there!!!
      > > > :-)
      > > > I tested it with my shaved 10.5mm, results were amazing, I was oddly off of
      > > > npp, I think. I had to retouch the whole thing a lot.
      > > > Does PTGUI take in account 10.5 odd projection issues!?
      > > > But, well... 13200x6600 pixel in THREE shots means something uh?!
      > > > At 800 iso it keeps a very good shape, dynamic and just a subtle noise that
      > > > we could call grain, and that can be changed for "detail".
      > > > AMAZING camera. LV controls are now on the back, continuous shootings etc
      > > > are on the top left dial and not blinded any more, there is a top button
      > > > dedicated to bracketing, even if bkt interval is still limited to 1stop
      > > > steps.Camera is smaller and 100g less than D700, and you can feel it.
      > > > Control dials and buttons feel even more tough than usual.
      > > > Part of the foolish price is due to the clean hdmi out... that categorize
      > > > it under broadcast professional video equipment, and looks like they have
      > > > to pay taxes for it.
      > > >
      > > > images here asap!!!
      > >
      > > Sorry but this is not correct.
      > >
      > > The max panorama size for shaved Nikkor 10.5 with 3 4912x7306 pixels images from D800 is 10236x5118
      >
      > Sorry this was wrong.
      > The correct is 11360x5680 pixels.
      >
      > It may be some variation depending on your optimizing but it is far from the 13200 Luca claims.

      But of course this is just about what resolution PTGui suggests you as maximum.

      In reality calculating a final resolution for a panorama especially from fisheyes can only be an average resolution for the whole image as a fisheye may loose as much as 25% resolution at the corners.

      Actually if you take your originals and compare to the final stitched one you will see that the center is much smaller in your panorama.

      If you calculate the resolution from that area you will get 13900 from the D800, Of course this means the areas at the blending point and at the floor and ceiling will be interpolated up to 123%.

      Hans

      > Hans
      >

      > > Not much larger than from my old 5D which gives me 6728x3364
      > > And my 5D mark II gives me 8640x4320.
      > >
      > > I doubt very much that the extra resolution of 10236 kontra 8640 is worth upgrading.
      > >
      > > 21 mp up to 36 is in reality not much.
      > >
      > > Hans
      > >

      > > > --
      > > > Luca Vascon.
      > > >
      > > > www.nuovostudio.it
      > > > www.officinepanottiche.com

    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
        I'd buy a 2nd hand 5Dmk2, and not an mk3 if I'd had money for that. As personal camera. I'd hack the mirror as first move. Then all my Contax lenses will be on.

        And a D800E is on order for work.
        Hans is right as for resolution, but I add here a trick.
        Using ACR you can correct lens geometry. On 10.5-nikon it allows to correct the fisheye projection in a more even way, extending the circle to the very border.
        Since it is done within bayer interpolation I use it, it gives better results and a fair bigger panorama.
        You can do it with Canon FF sensors too. Gives small improvement, and it is the explanation why I get more pixels than Hans that is using it "nature".

        No way I would start a Canon vs Nikon fight!
        Even if both are starting to understand how to make lenses again!
        :-D Contax and Rolleiflex are always the best, Silvestri, Linhof, Horseman and Arca are even better!!!!

        I'd prefer Canon semplicity and clearness in interface, and get rid of D700, hard feeling with the software and controls.

        Hans is right when he says

        Il giorno 04 aprile 2012 12:03, Steve Morton <steven.morton@...> ha scritto:
        Hans wrote:
        > 21 mp up to 36 is in reality not much.

        I own both a 5d mkII (and 7D) and a Nikon D3s. My D3s is only 12 mp but
        I would pick it EVERY time over the 5D mk2 in low light imaging

        I have my D800E on order and I'm REALLY looking forward to getting it
        and then retire the 5D mkII

        All the best
        Steve

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012

          If you calculate the  resolution from that area you will get 13900 from the D800, Of course this means the areas at the blending point and at the floor and ceiling will be interpolated up to 123%.

          Hans

          You got it.
          Basically mine is a 2 step interpolation. 1st in ACR,  2nd giving ptgui a crop of about 185 degrees...
          PTGUI gives a smart value, trying to even things out and avoid loss of image thoughness.
          EFFECTIVE resolution in these case is vapour.
          substantially things do not change too much.
          :-P