Re: [PanoToolsNG] How to create a simple website to display panos?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
      På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:29:22 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams <roger@...>:

      > Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available... Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on Flash.

      I don't have any iOS devices myself, but I've been told that that wedding example worked fine on iPad.
      Did you try it? http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/
      Xara doesn't care what tools you use to make the panos/tours, and it shows pages very consistently and independent of what browser is used.
      It looks very similar in IE, Opera, FF an Chrome anyway. Never tried on Safari.

    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
        I would highly recommend CodeAcademy as a great resource for
        beginner-to-advanced courses; they *just* launched an HTML track that
        should help you bootstrap basic Web skills in no time.

        http://www.codecademy.com/courses/html-one-o-one

        It's highly interactive and self-paced. Once you've got the basics
        down (and it's time well spent - these are basic skills, comparable in
        my mind to typing skills 50 years ago), there is a huge variety of
        similar resources for WordPress; you don't need to be an expert
        developer to get a great site up and running, but it helps to
        understand the basics.

        -R
      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
          I just had a look at Xara now, and it has moved mountains since the last time I checked (a few years back).  Extremely easy to work with... I will use it the next time I do some website thingy (work that I have never liked to do).

          Thanks for bringing it up to the surface!

          2012/4/2 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

          Yes there is :)
          Take a look at Xara Web Designer (or Designer Pro if you also want to do print work)
          I believe there are no easier and faster tools today, that also gives you lots of power
          when needed.
          Take a look at some of the videos at : http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

          __.
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
            On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:25:41 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
            wrote:

            > På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:29:22 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams
            > <roger@...>:
            >
            >> Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from
            >> this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is
            >> because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be
            >> viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need
            >> HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at
            >> resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available...
            >> Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I
            >> don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on
            >> Flash.
            >
            > I don't have any iOS devices myself, but I've been told that that
            > wedding example worked fine on iPad.
            > Did you try it? http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/

            Yes, I did. It works quite well, although clicking the thumbnails did not
            always lead immediately to the full panorama. Sometimes I had to click
            twice. Some minor problem, perhaps.

            > Xara doesn't care what tools you use to make the panos/tours, and it
            > shows pages very consistently and independent of what browser is used.
            > It looks very similar in IE, Opera, FF an Chrome anyway. Never tried on
            > Safari.

            It looks like a very good choice. I am quite familiar with the basics of
            HTML, although my knowledge stops back in the days of HTML4 and animated
            GIFs. Ancient history by Internet standards. But at least it gives me
            a handle on understanding what is going on, and why. My proudest
            achievement was coding complex tables in HTML. There must be an easier
            way by now...

            I understand that using an iFrame is not universally acceptable. I
            think I read that there is a security threat and they are sometimes
            disabled. However, that is something I can check for myself using
            Google. What is valuable to me is the voice of experience. I have
            noted the enthusiasm for Word Press and will also look into that.

            Thank you, everyone, for the replies to my questions in this thread. It
            looks as if the original questioner also found the help he needed.

            Roger W.

            --
            Business: www.adex-japan.com
            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger