Re: [PanoToolsNG] How to create a simple website to display panos?

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
      Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available... Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on Flash.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad

    • Greg Voisan
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
        I output my panos on Panotour to play desktop, iPAD/IOS and I upload the whole file to my Wordpress site. Depending on what system you are using to view the panos the software automatically gives it to you in that format. Works great. I am not proficient with computers and don't have the time or desire to learn more so this has been a great solution for me.

      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
          På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:29:22 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams <roger@...>:

          > Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available... Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on Flash.

          I don't have any iOS devices myself, but I've been told that that wedding example worked fine on iPad.
          Did you try it? http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/
          Xara doesn't care what tools you use to make the panos/tours, and it shows pages very consistently and independent of what browser is used.
          It looks very similar in IE, Opera, FF an Chrome anyway. Never tried on Safari.

        • Roger Howard
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
            I would highly recommend CodeAcademy as a great resource for
            beginner-to-advanced courses; they *just* launched an HTML track that
            should help you bootstrap basic Web skills in no time.

            http://www.codecademy.com/courses/html-one-o-one

            It's highly interactive and self-paced. Once you've got the basics
            down (and it's time well spent - these are basic skills, comparable in
            my mind to typing skills 50 years ago), there is a huge variety of
            similar resources for WordPress; you don't need to be an expert
            developer to get a great site up and running, but it helps to
            understand the basics.

            -R
          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
              I just had a look at Xara now, and it has moved mountains since the last time I checked (a few years back).  Extremely easy to work with... I will use it the next time I do some website thingy (work that I have never liked to do).

              Thanks for bringing it up to the surface!

              2012/4/2 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

              Yes there is :)
              Take a look at Xara Web Designer (or Designer Pro if you also want to do print work)
              I believe there are no easier and faster tools today, that also gives you lots of power
              when needed.
              Take a look at some of the videos at : http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

              __.
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:25:41 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
                wrote:

                > På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:29:22 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams
                > <roger@...>:
                >
                >> Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from
                >> this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is
                >> because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be
                >> viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need
                >> HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at
                >> resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available...
                >> Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I
                >> don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on
                >> Flash.
                >
                > I don't have any iOS devices myself, but I've been told that that
                > wedding example worked fine on iPad.
                > Did you try it? http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/

                Yes, I did. It works quite well, although clicking the thumbnails did not
                always lead immediately to the full panorama. Sometimes I had to click
                twice. Some minor problem, perhaps.

                > Xara doesn't care what tools you use to make the panos/tours, and it
                > shows pages very consistently and independent of what browser is used.
                > It looks very similar in IE, Opera, FF an Chrome anyway. Never tried on
                > Safari.

                It looks like a very good choice. I am quite familiar with the basics of
                HTML, although my knowledge stops back in the days of HTML4 and animated
                GIFs. Ancient history by Internet standards. But at least it gives me
                a handle on understanding what is going on, and why. My proudest
                achievement was coding complex tables in HTML. There must be an easier
                way by now...

                I understand that using an iFrame is not universally acceptable. I
                think I read that there is a security threat and they are sometimes
                disabled. However, that is something I can check for myself using
                Google. What is valuable to me is the voice of experience. I have
                noted the enthusiasm for Word Press and will also look into that.

                Thank you, everyone, for the replies to my questions in this thread. It
                looks as if the original questioner also found the help he needed.

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger