Re: How to create a simple website to display panos?

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2012
      Peter, I used the book "HTML 4 for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro to build my first web page. You can pick up a copy on Ebay for next to nothing - e.g. see http://tinyurl.com/cln4c7r . It leads you through the process quite painlessly, and it's not at all difficult to produce a basic page that links to HTML pages generated automatically by the likes of Pano2VR and PTGui for displaying the actual panoramas. You don't need to learn everything: just enough to do what you need. There are lots of ways of generating HTML code very simply and efficiently, but being able to tinker with the generated code to make minor changes is in any case very useful. Age is no obstacle - I am coming up to 73 now - and you can see my simple web pages at: http://www.johnhpanos.com/ .

      John

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter A. Schaible" <peter@...> wrote:

      > I find the tutorials for Pano2VR (GardenGnome) and KRPano to be
      > completely incomprehensible. I'm too old and have too much ADD to learn
      > all the intricacies of HTML, WordPress, XML syntax, etc., etc.
      >
      > But I would like to have a website for displaying my panos, both linear
      > and equirectangular. What to do?
      >
      > Do you know where I can find a competent and affordable freelancer to
      > create a simple WordPress site using PanoPress? I've looked at
      > elance.com but don't see anyone there with panoramic photography website
      > experience.
      >
      > Alternatively, is there any Pano2VR or KRPano user documentation hidden
      > on the Internet somewhere that a non-techie like me can read and comprehend?
      >
      > I would have thought the software manufacturers would write a very basic
      > user's guide for technology-challenged people like me, but alas,
      > everything I've read is written by someone who assumes the reader has a
      > lot of prior knowledge and experience.
      >
      > I've written instructional materials for years on much less complicated
      > topics, such as how to set up an aquarium, for instance. My #1 rule has
      > always been, "Never underestimate the reader's intelligence, or
      > overestimate her knowledge."
      >
      > So, is there a way out of this conundrum? Please advise. Thanks.
      >
      > --
      > --Peter

    • Fernando Chaves
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hi,
        A http://wordpress.org/ site + http://www.panopress.org/ plugin: it's a free
        software, easy to setup, easy to manage your content, a huge community to
        help you.
        Best regards,
        Fernando

        ------------------------------------

        --
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
          You're my hero, Mr. Houghton. Thanks for the sage advice. I guess I have to bite the bullet and do all the coding myself. But at least I can copy some of your HTML code and paste it into my own pages! :-)

          BTW, I am a long-time fan of all the tutorials you have written. Without them, I would not have made it as far as I have in the world of panoramic photography. Thank you for them. Very useful and very much appreciated. I'm certain you have lots of other fans, as well.

          Best,

          -- Peter

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

          > Peter, I used the book "HTML 4 for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro to build my first web page. You can pick up a copy on Ebay for next to nothing - e.g. see http://tinyurl.com/cln4c7r . It leads you through the process quite painlessly, and it's not at all difficult to produce a basic page that links to HTML pages generated automatically by the likes of Pano2VR and PTGui for displaying the actual panoramas. You don't need to learn everything: just enough to do what you need. There are lots of ways of generating HTML code very simply and efficiently, but being able to tinker with the generated code to make minor changes is in any case very useful. Age is no obstacle - I am coming up to 73 now - and you can see my simple web pages at: http://www.johnhpanos.com/ .
          >
          > John

        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
            På Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:46:48 +0200, skrev Peter A. Schaible <peter@...>:

            > I find the tutorials for Pano2VR (GardenGnome) and KRPano to be
            > completely incomprehensible. I’m too old and have too much ADD to learn
            > all the intricacies of HTML, WordPress, XML syntax, etc., etc.
            >
            > But I would like to have a website for displaying my panos, both linear
            > and equirectangular. What to do?
            >
            > Do you know where I can find a competent and affordable freelancer to
            > create a simple WordPress site using PanoPress? I’ve looked at
            > elance.com but don’t see anyone there with panoramic photography website
            > experience.
            >
            > Alternatively, is there any Pano2VR or KRPano user documentation hidden
            > on the Internet somewhere that a non-techie like me can read and comprehend?
            >
            > I would have thought the software manufacturers would write a very basic
            > user’s guide for technology-challenged people like me, but alas,
            > everything I’ve read is written by someone who assumes the reader has a
            > lot of prior knowledge and experience.
            >
            > I’ve written instructional materials for years on much less complicated
            > topics, such as how to set up an aquarium, for instance. My #1 rule has
            > always been, “Never underestimate the reader’s intelligence, or
            > overestimate her knowledge.”
            >
            > So, is there a way out of this conundrum? Please advise. Thanks.

            Yes there is :)
            Take a look at Xara Web Designer (or Designer Pro if you also want to do print work)
            I believe there are no easier and faster tools today, that also gives you lots of power
            when needed.
            Take a look at some of the videos at : http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
              On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 00:03:51 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
              wrote:

              > På Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:46:48 +0200, skrev Peter A. Schaible
              > <peter@...>:

              >> I would like to have a website for displaying my panos, both linear
              >> and equirectangular. What to do?
              >>
              >> I’ve written instructional materials for years on much less complicated
              >> topics, such as how to set up an aquarium, for instance. My #1 rule has
              >> always been, “Never underestimate the reader’s intelligence, or
              >> overestimate her knowledge.”
              >>
              >> So, is there a way out of this conundrum? Please advise. Thanks.
              >
              > Yes there is :)
              > Take a look at Xara Web Designer (or Designer Pro if you also want to do
              > print work)
              > I believe there are no easier and faster tools today, that also gives
              > you lots of power
              > when needed.
              > Take a look at some of the videos at :
              > http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

              Bjørn,

              I looked at the Xara site and it seems they offer easy off-the-peg
              but flexible site building for a very reasonable price. I had been
              thinking I needed to buy KRpano or Kolor's Panotour, but was worried
              about the need to become familiar with XML coding. Do you know if a
              site started with Xara software could later accommodate modules
              created by KRpano, and even possibly tours created with Panotour?
              Or since I feel I will probably eventually need to use KRpano and
              Panotour, should I just forget Xara and start in on what will
              probably be a much steep learning curve? Being retired, now, I have
              the time I would need...

              I would value your opinion, and that of any others who may have experience
              of these or similar issues.

              Roger W.

              --
              Business: www.adex-japan.com
              Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
            • Greg Voisan
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012

                I use Panotour + Wordpress + Panopress plugin. It works great. Very easy.

              • Kyle Goodnight
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
                  I agree, WP is easy and works just fine..If you want more control over things then maybe Joomla or Drupal...I am looking at Joomla and Drupal now...Both CMS systems.  I have Wp working and now Joomla...Drupal may take a bit longer as it is a bit more feature rich and works different from either WP or Joomla.
                  Kyle

                  Monday, April 02, 2012 9:27 PM

                  I use Panotour + Wordpress + Panopress plugin. It works great. Very easy.

              • Thomas Bredenfeld
                Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                  i recently dived into this topic for drupal.

                  drupal's theming system is not only good for creating frontend designs
                  but can also be used for implementing various pano viewers.

                  you can create a "content type" especially for showing panos. with a
                  little knowledge about php and drupals theming system, which is pretty
                  straightforward, you can build a pano viewer with any flash player,
                  either be fed with an upload af a selfcontained pano2vr swf file, with
                  an upload of an equirect image or a cube face set. only the generation
                  of some javascript parameters or of a little xml chunk is necessary to
                  get the whole thing to run.

                  even a switcher to show your pano with flash by default on desktop
                  machine browsers and to show them by html5/css3 on idevices isn't very
                  difficult.

                  no need to write a dedicated drupal module (which is more advanced).
                  unfortunately longer ago there was one in development, but it's
                  discontinued.

                  for sure not as easy as the wordpress / panopress combo, but far more
                  flexible.

                  thomas

                  Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                    På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 02:47:26 +0200, skrev Roger D. Williams <roger@...>:

                    > On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 00:03:51 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> På Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:46:48 +0200, skrev Peter A. Schaible
                    >> <peter@...>:
                    >
                    >>> I would like to have a website for displaying my panos, both linear
                    >>> and equirectangular. What to do?
                    >>>
                    >>> I’ve written instructional materials for years on much less complicated
                    >>> topics, such as how to set up an aquarium, for instance. My #1 rule has
                    >>> always been, “Never underestimate the reader’s intelligence, or
                    >>> overestimate her knowledge.”
                    >>>
                    >>> So, is there a way out of this conundrum? Please advise. Thanks.
                    >>
                    >> Yes there is :)
                    >> Take a look at Xara Web Designer (or Designer Pro if you also want to do
                    >> print work)
                    >> I believe there are no easier and faster tools today, that also gives
                    >> you lots of power
                    >> when needed.
                    >> Take a look at some of the videos at :
                    >> http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/
                    >
                    > Bjørn,
                    >
                    > I looked at the Xara site and it seems they offer easy off-the-peg
                    > but flexible site building for a very reasonable price. I had been
                    > thinking I needed to buy KRpano or Kolor's Panotour, but was worried
                    > about the need to become familiar with XML coding. Do you know if a
                    > site started with Xara software could later accommodate modules
                    > created by KRpano, and even possibly tours created with Panotour?
                    > Or since I feel I will probably eventually need to use KRpano and
                    > Panotour, should I just forget Xara and start in on what will
                    > probably be a much steep learning curve? Being retired, now, I have
                    > the time I would need...
                    >
                    > I would value your opinion, and that of any others who may have experience
                    > of these or similar issues.

                    I don't use KRpano, or other viewers than FPP/Flashificator (and earlier Immervision PurePlayer Flash/Java and QTVR)
                    I have also used HTML output from PTGui for a site where it was important/desireable to be able to view it on iPad/iPod etc.
                    I believe they all can output a html page with a pano or a tour?
                    In Xara this html page can be run inside an iFrame placeholder, or be linked to as a full page.
                    Like this iframe test: http://bknilssen.no/X/panotest/
                    Took maybe 3 mins to make?
                    Or like this with single-pano output from PTGui (also iOS compatible) from my nephews wedding:
                    http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/
                    I just made thumbnails that opens the single PTGui output HTML page in full page when clicked.
                    Or this test/proposal for a small rural museum: http://bknilssen.no/X/Sveindal/
                    Clicking the 360/pano icon opens a FPP tour (currently from another site http://minnekultursenter.no ).
                    Clicking any of the photos opens a larger version, but it could just as well have opened any single pano or VRtour.
                    Another test here: http://bknilssen.no/X/ which I use to test various techniques etc. On the second page, Panorama,
                    there are a few panos with Java and Flash, using the same iFrame to view them all inside the same page/frame.

                    All is very easy and quick to do in Xara, and it is also easy to make templates for reuse later.

                    For making the actual tours, without having to write any XML, I think FPP/Flashificator works great.
                    But if you're happy with single panos I don't think you'd need to write any XML for any of them?
                    Xara can also use SWF files, but I've never tried with SWF files from Pano2VR.

                    Using <iframe> you could even show any other website inside your Xara pages.
                    You could actually show an entire Wordpress/Drupal/Joomla site inside a Xara wrapper page.
                    AFAIK none of the viewers offer tools for making complete web pages/sites?

                  • Roger D Williams
                    Message 10 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                      Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available... Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on Flash.

                      Roger W.

                      Sent from my iPad

                    • Greg Voisan
                      Message 11 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                        I output my panos on Panotour to play desktop, iPAD/IOS and I upload the whole file to my Wordpress site. Depending on what system you are using to view the panos the software automatically gives it to you in that format. Works great. I am not proficient with computers and don't have the time or desire to learn more so this has been a great solution for me.

                      • Bjørn K Nilssen
                        Message 12 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                          På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:29:22 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams <roger@...>:

                          > Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available... Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on Flash.

                          I don't have any iOS devices myself, but I've been told that that wedding example worked fine on iPad.
                          Did you try it? http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/
                          Xara doesn't care what tools you use to make the panos/tours, and it shows pages very consistently and independent of what browser is used.
                          It looks very similar in IE, Opera, FF an Chrome anyway. Never tried on Safari.

                        • Roger Howard
                          Message 13 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                            I would highly recommend CodeAcademy as a great resource for
                            beginner-to-advanced courses; they *just* launched an HTML track that
                            should help you bootstrap basic Web skills in no time.

                            http://www.codecademy.com/courses/html-one-o-one

                            It's highly interactive and self-paced. Once you've got the basics
                            down (and it's time well spent - these are basic skills, comparable in
                            my mind to typing skills 50 years ago), there is a huge variety of
                            similar resources for WordPress; you don't need to be an expert
                            developer to get a great site up and running, but it helps to
                            understand the basics.

                            -R
                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 14 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                              I just had a look at Xara now, and it has moved mountains since the last time I checked (a few years back).  Extremely easy to work with... I will use it the next time I do some website thingy (work that I have never liked to do).

                              Thanks for bringing it up to the surface!

                              2012/4/2 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

                              Yes there is :)
                              Take a look at Xara Web Designer (or Designer Pro if you also want to do print work)
                              I believe there are no easier and faster tools today, that also gives you lots of power
                              when needed.
                              Take a look at some of the videos at : http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

                              __.
                            • Roger D. Williams
                              Message 15 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                                On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:25:41 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
                                wrote:

                                > På Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:29:22 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams
                                > <roger@...>:
                                >
                                >> Thank you, Bjørn, your reply was most encouraging. I've deleted it from
                                >> this reply but saved it for future reference. My interest in KRpano is
                                >> because it seems to be the best at preparing panoramas that can be
                                >> viewed easily both by PCs that have Flash and by iOS devices that need
                                >> HTML5, and allows them all to show panoramas at their best, i.e., at
                                >> resolutions that are suitable for the screen real-estate available...
                                >> Things seem to be moving towards even greater penetration by iOS and I
                                >> don't want to be dependent on tools that rely exclusively or mainly on
                                >> Flash.
                                >
                                > I don't have any iOS devices myself, but I've been told that that
                                > wedding example worked fine on iPad.
                                > Did you try it? http://bknilssen.no/X/Bryllup/

                                Yes, I did. It works quite well, although clicking the thumbnails did not
                                always lead immediately to the full panorama. Sometimes I had to click
                                twice. Some minor problem, perhaps.

                                > Xara doesn't care what tools you use to make the panos/tours, and it
                                > shows pages very consistently and independent of what browser is used.
                                > It looks very similar in IE, Opera, FF an Chrome anyway. Never tried on
                                > Safari.

                                It looks like a very good choice. I am quite familiar with the basics of
                                HTML, although my knowledge stops back in the days of HTML4 and animated
                                GIFs. Ancient history by Internet standards. But at least it gives me
                                a handle on understanding what is going on, and why. My proudest
                                achievement was coding complex tables in HTML. There must be an easier
                                way by now...

                                I understand that using an iFrame is not universally acceptable. I
                                think I read that there is a security threat and they are sometimes
                                disabled. However, that is something I can check for myself using
                                Google. What is valuable to me is the voice of experience. I have
                                noted the enthusiasm for Word Press and will also look into that.

                                Thank you, everyone, for the replies to my questions in this thread. It
                                looks as if the original questioner also found the help he needed.

                                Roger W.

                                Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net