Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Why is Mac so bad

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
      On 3/29/2012 12:00 PM, Hans wrote:

      As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by
      the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.

      While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for
      flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only
      Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.

      Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but
      it is almost impossible to move them.
      Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with
      hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
      Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.

      While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version
      seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.

      Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3
      times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with
      freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are
      freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
      Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama
      in another tab.
      Even if I have 16 GB Ram.

      Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there
      are problems like this on Windows 7.

      I haven't noticed any problems like this in FF (my browser of choice),
      IE (gag me), Safari or Chrome (the latter 3 when I test a finished tour)
      on Win 7 x64 or XP Pro. I regularly have multiple panos open in
      different tabs in FF when I'm testing something and when I'm fixing
      something in either PTGui or Photoshop I've had 10+ versions of a pano
      open in DevalVR.

      Remember I told you that everything works OK on Windows,

      I understand that but you were talking about Windows running on Apple hardware and the results may be different on non-Apple hardware plus I was replying to his request for input from Windows 7 users.

      This is a Mac problem. Firefox has as long as I remembder been a mess on Mac.
      Always problem with Quicktime. Different problems with flash also.
      Funny thing is that now the old Firefox 3 works OK with Quicktime but it freezes with latest flash for panoramas.

      Has that behavior changed from what it was in the past?

      Hans

      I can not test IE9 on my XP

      Hans

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...> wrote:

        > >> I haven't noticed any problems like this in FF (my browser of choice),
        > >> IE (gag me), Safari or Chrome (the latter 3 when I test a finished tour)
        > >> on Win 7 x64 or XP Pro. I regularly have multiple panos open in
        > >> different tabs in FF when I'm testing something and when I'm fixing
        > >> something in either PTGui or Photoshop I've had 10+ versions of a pano
        > >> open in DevalVR.
        > >
        > > Remember I told you that everything works OK on Windows,
        >
        > I understand that but you were talking about Windows running on Apple
        > hardware and the results may be different on non-Apple hardware /plus /I
        > was replying to his request for input from Windows 7 users.
        >
        > > This is a Mac problem. Firefox has as long as I remembder been a mess
        > > on Mac.
        > > Always problem with Quicktime. Different problems with flash also.
        > > Funny thing is that now the old Firefox 3 works OK with Quicktime but
        > > it freezes with latest flash for panoramas.
        >
        > Has that behavior changed from what it was in the past?

        Yes It did not have not have this problem with flash before.

        I guess it is the latest flashplayer that is working different.

        Hans

        > > Hans

        > Pat Swovelin
        > Cool Guy @ Large

      • kwayneheil
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
          No problem on Win 7 simultaneously opening QTVR, Flash, and HTML 5 panoramas on Firefox, IE9, Chrome and Safari. All scroll smoothly. 8GB RAM.

          Wayne

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I can confirm that Firefox and Chrome on Mac are not running with QTVR. Almost impossible to move them. Flash runs very well on FF and Chrome as well as in Safari
          > >
          > > here a test link for QTVR http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/ and for Flash http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/index_swf.html
          >
          > It is not quite as visible on this one as you use low quality for panning, but if I put them up side by side on my iMac 27" in Firefox and Safari I see a large difference. Safari autopans very smooth but Firefox has small jumps all the time.
          >
          > Hans
          >

          > > I never noticed any issue with Safari in regard of panos.
          > >

          > > Willy
          > >

          > > On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:44, Hans wrote:
          > >
          > > > As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.
          > > >
          > > > While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.
          > > >
          > > > Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but it is almost impossible to move them.
          > > > Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
          > > > Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.
          > > >
          > > > While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.
          > > >
          > > > Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3 times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
          > > > Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama in another tab.
          > > > Even if I have 16 GB Ram.
          > > >
          > > > Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there are problems like this on Windows 7.
          > > >
          > > > I can not test IE9 on my XP
          > > >
          > > > Hans

        • rcgillespie
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

            Have you tried right clicking on a Flash pano and changing your Flash
            settings?